Old 09-26-2018, 06:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fort Erie , Ontario-Canada
Possible cause to all Airstream Quailty Control Issues

Found this interesting article when searching about what is necessary for a Class Actions Lawsuit (more on that later).

https://www.sidneydailynews.com/news...ction-approved

I've heard production numbers for all AS models are increasing and can't imagine any employee who is not properly being compensated for their hard work to put appropriate amounts of care into their work.

Our Basecamp is at dealer allegedly getting a lot of work done on it. I do not have much hope for the fridge or leak issues.

At what point do we as consumers start looking for other remedies when Airstream and the dealers appear unwilling or unable to provide us with a product that is safe and functional?

I believe there are enough victims in the Basecamp owners group that a Class Action Lawsuit may be the direction that is needed to get Airstream to take this seriously.

Has anyone else done research into this?

hopmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good find, thanks!

Regarding QC issues, the possibility of an AS owners' class-action suit, or a Thor shareholders' suit, has been mentioned a number of times in this Basecamp forum, and elsewhere IMO.

The new search function in the blue box above works great, by the way. Powered by Google to search only AirForums.com, the results can be customized after they open up in a new Google window.

Peter

PS -- Are you using Firefox on a regular computer (vs. a small phone/tablet/etc)? If so, your extra blank lines are something that has been bugging many members here for months. Please consider posting in this thread if applicable:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ts-182555.html

PS2 -- Are you aware of the Senior Management Failures thread?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...as-182914.html

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Where to begin?.....

Reading one side of a case from either plaintiff or defendant alone is not a good basis to decide whatís going on. Moreover, one of the most common tricky areas in a workplace is FMLA and itís easy to get things wrong since itís complicated to know the regulations to get it right.

Quality issues are discussed here ad nauseum. ThorStream would serve themselves so well to adopt a top-down six sigma approach to quality. Whatever buzzings we hear about that from AS arenít credible in my view.

However, like any public corporation, short term profit motives can and frequently do outweigh long term strategies. The explosive growth in demand, leading to two recent expansions of manufacturing space, cover a load of ďsinsĒ. When the revenues flow in like that, the temptation is to assume the public likes the product enough so thereís no need to invest more in quality. Thatís a vicious circle though and in the long run bites the company in the butt. Hasnít happened yet, but it will.

And that reckoning will happen either by product boycotts or class action suits. I prefer the former to the latter 100 times over.

Even more importantly, I prefer constant communication with the manufacturer to identify and resolve problems. Perhaps too pollyannaish - but Iím not a fan of how oppositional we make issues these days. Thereís only 2 ways to see things - my way (the right way) and yours (the wrong way). No basis for mutual understanding, learning, or improvement. Just calculated battle lines and financial interests. And at the end of the day - no offense to our lawyer friends in the forums - the ONLY people who win are the lawyers. Everyone else loses. Especially in class action. Youíll enjoy your $250 rebate card and set of free tires while the lawyers rake in millions for the ďserviceĒ they provided.

Feh.

I should probably add a ďget off my lawnĒ for good measure while Iím at it...

Your mileage may vary. Good luck.
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Based on chatting with people at the AS plant ... they don't seem to have any trouble attracting new workers. Compared to many (buy never say all ) places to work in the area, it's pretty well thought of.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
SSM,

Feh...😂...may be an assumption with too much altitude.

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
"feh"

Well, I learned a new word today!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Bob - Iím a fan of your humor but have to confess I donít underpants the altitude bit? Sorry! Iím sure itís funny - even I at my expense - I just donít know what youíre saying - enlighten me!

DaveP glad to expand vocabulary options.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Bob - Iím a fan of your humor but have to confess I donít underpants the altitude bit? Sorry! Iím sure itís funny - even I at my expense - I just donít know what youíre saying - enlighten me!

DaveP glad to expand vocabulary options.
Over and above most comprehension from current Forum demographic. 🤓

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
It’s the same with bug riddled software, the consumer finds the flaws for the company, then the company fixes the flaw only if enough beta testers complain. Saves millions by making the customer the last step in the quality process. Would think after decades in business AS would have a tight program. Problem is they change factory assembly line processes and people, in a ever escalating effort to streamline. Just my opinion.
Burfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfield View Post
It’s the same with bug riddled software, the consumer finds the flaws for the company, then the company fixes the flaw only if enough beta testers complain. Saves millions by making the customer the last step in the quality process. Would think after decades in business AS would have a tight program. Problem is they change factory assembly line processes and people, in a ever escalating effort to streamline. Just my opinion.

Very good.

When I entered the Coin Operated Antique Business as a youth, I focused on restoring and repairing specific brands of jukeboxes, wall boxes, slot machines and trade stimulators. Parts were all compatible and exchanged from 'junkers' as a source of additional parts.

No newly manufactured parts were available for decades. New Old Stock parts were to be found, but soon depleted from various vendors of this equipment. Their basic components all interchanged and only the EXTERIORs changed for several decades for many manufacturers. Those who failed... never found an interior that was reliable on a vendor's route and went out of business. Even today, these models are still considered... junk and avoided as they never would work properly.

Airstream does the reverse. The Exterior remains consistent, but the interiors morph each year from my experiences.

Airstream has TOO MANY different models. They change the names frequently. Parts seem to change depending on the... supplier's discounting old product and length of the trailer.

An employee trying to stage all of the internal components to be installed have to be overwhelmed with the variety. Much like taking parts of ten years of Cadillac production, to assemble a complete car ten years after starting to assemble parts.

Henry Ford "any color as long as it is black".

Of course that is unlikely today, but a more selective product may limit some buyers from purchasing, the overall quality would improve over the familiarity of the product by the employee.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Santa Rosa , California
Nice post Ray... manufacturing background as well? This could not be more true. The more variation, the more training, the more potential mistakes... standardize on a set of good equipment and processes and you will be good. The problem for AS is the eye candy in the competing brands... looks good, but in general it isn't good for you over time but make a difference in the buying decisions for some. Stick with the classic look, high quality innards, simple processes and repeat
JohnCaliAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #12
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Qc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Where to begin?.....

Reading one side of a case from either plaintiff or defendant alone is not a good basis to decide whatís going on. Moreover, one of the most common tricky areas in a workplace is FMLA and itís easy to get things wrong since itís complicated to know the regulations to get it right.

Quality issues are discussed here ad nauseum. ThorStream would serve themselves so well to adopt a top-down six sigma approach to quality. Whatever buzzings we hear about that from AS arenít credible in my view.

However, like any public corporation, short term profit motives can and frequently do outweigh long term strategies. The explosive growth in demand, leading to two recent expansions of manufacturing space, cover a load of ďsinsĒ. When the revenues flow in like that, the temptation is to assume the public likes the product enough so thereís no need to invest more in quality. Thatís a vicious circle though and in the long run bites the company in the butt. Hasnít happened yet, but it will.

And that reckoning will happen either by product boycotts or class action suits. I prefer the former to the latter 100 times over.

Even more importantly, I prefer constant communication with the manufacturer to identify and resolve problems. Perhaps too pollyannaish - but Iím not a fan of how oppositional we make issues these days. Thereís only 2 ways to see things - my way (the right way) and yours (the wrong way). No basis for mutual understanding, learning, or improvement. Just calculated battle lines and financial interests. And at the end of the day - no offense to our lawyer friends in the forums - the ONLY people who win are the lawyers. Everyone else loses. Especially in class action. Youíll enjoy your $250 rebate card and set of free tires while the lawyers rake in millions for the ďserviceĒ they provided.

Feh.

I should probably add a ďget off my lawnĒ for good measure while Iím at it...

Your mileage may vary. Good luck.
Agree wholeheartedly! I have found both my dealer and JC responsive to my complaints with favorable resolution. Involving the legal class for such issues only enriches them. This is why tort reform is so needed in our country and also probably why it will never happen as far too, many of our politicians are lawyer.

Feh, indeed.

Dave
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
So true Ray!
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Over and above most comprehension from current Forum demographic.

Bob

Ironic your altitude was so much higher than mine!