Old 11-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Thanks Guys, I knew I was going to like this place!

Glen - I don't think the rail of a CC-400 series Calumet would hold much more than 100 pounds. I think that the case for my Toyo D45M would work as a jackstand though - it's a heavy sucker (and clad in aluminum too!).

I'll grab a Nikon and get under/over/around the Base Camp in the next couple of days and shoot/post a lot of pix that I'm sure would never make it into a factory brochure.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Tech Support answers their mail - fast!

Randy at Customer Relations answered my email about jacking and spare tire mounting on the Base Camp. Here's his reply:
"It does sound as though the jacking points given were for a trailer and not a Base Camp. The bottom of that unit is exposed and you will be able to get a jack on the frame behind the axle. Never put the jack on the axle.
I checked with our engineering department and there are no present plans for a spare tire mounting kit. By bringing up the question, it may have put a bug in their ear for the need."

Old 11-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
I agreee with your observation about the manual being useless. I've found almost as much incorrect information in my manual as useful information. Any 3rd grader could do as well putting together a manual as Airsteam does.

My 30' Classic does have these jack points identified, and according to the couple of service technicians at the factory that I asked, at least on my trailer they are intended to be jack points.
However, although my owner's manual also claims they are just behind the rear axle (and I have 2 axles) they are almost at the rear of my trailer, and way too far back to be practical for jacking. You'd have to probably jack my trailer up 5 feet high from where the jack plates are to get even the rear axle off the ground. I bet I spent an hour trying to find them just behind the rear axles, like the manual said, before finally finding them.
Fly---I have a 30' Classic that I just had both the curb side wheels off by jacking at the "factory recomended" jacking point. I did this after calling the factory to verify their manuals instructions. While still hooked to my tow vehicle I put the tongue down until it touched the ground and jacked at the jacking point. Suprisingly it took very little to raise the wheels off the ground.I expected to hear popping and cracking but as it turned out it was more like lifting one leg on a three legged stool, in that is seemed more that I tilted it than lifted it. ---- pieman
PS --didn't mean to hijack the original thread
Old 11-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
FWIW, my tires are 275 45 20's - I'm not looking forward to having to buy replacements:quote

Hey Bob---That's the price $$$ you pay for being COOL !!!!! pieman
Old 11-30-2006, 11:01 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Most Manuals are Useless

And, that comes from the nature of the business.
(War Story Warning Sounds)
When I worked for a long defunct computer systems company, the maximum effort was placed on producing the system and getting it ready for acceptance.
During the final phase of production, we always came up against the "DOCUMENTATION" dead stop. Some of the junior members of the team usually drew the short straw and were assigned to get that stuff out of the way and into a big impressive package; mostly unreviewed. Page count was the metric there. Field support would spend man years getting this useless information corrected.
*** end of WS
I'm happy to see that Airstream is following best industry practices in placing the end user last. Some things never change.
regards