Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #1

2008 Base Camp
Swansea , Illinois
Unhappy Never used my 2008 Basecamp, now selling

Hey guys, I just thought I would post a little something about my Basecamp story here in case anyone knows someone who might be interested in one of the very last "new" airstream base camp trailers.

I joined the airforums in December 2008 after being convinced by many friends of mine about how cool Airstream trailers are and I deciding the Airstream Basecamp was exactly the trailer I needed. I did plenty of research and read all the Basecamp posts in this forum at that time. I finally found an Airstream dealer who had a red fully loaded 2008 Basecamp for sale at a discount price in Ohio. In February of 2009 I purchased the Airstream but was unable to take delivery because I was having a custom hide-away hitch engineered for my modified 1991 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo (details about my car can be found by searching under this screen name at www.twinturbo.net ). My friend was still hard at work doing computerized stress test analysis and creating plans for the prototype hitch (he also designed the aftermarket fuel rail set up I have installed on my Nissan) in April when I had my accident. On April 26, 2009 due to a combination of high winds and rider inexperience I took my motorcycle (Buell XB9S) off road in a turn which ended up ejecting me, landing me on my head and shattering one of the vertebrae in my neck (C4) resulting in incomplete paralysis. I spent the rest of 2009 in hospitals and rehabilitation centers. In June, while an inpatient at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, I got a call from the Airstream dealer in Ohio that they had gone bankrupt and were being foreclosed on and that I needed to pick up the trailer right away. I had hoped to call the dealer, explain the situation and simply sell it back to them, but that phone call made that plan impossible. A friend of mine picked up the trailer for me and has since tried to sell it locally for me by putting it in front of his house a few weekends last summer. But, now that I am mostly out of rehab and trying to put together funding for a wheelchair accessible vehicle I have decided to try to list the trailer for sale on the Internet.

If you know anyone who may want a brand new Basecamp, still under warrentee direct them to my ad on your forums:
2008 Basecamp NEW -- never used - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Used Airstreams For Sale

I realize it is a year old, but it has never been used and I am taking a loss even at my asking price. It is currently located about an hour Southwest of Chicago but I have friends and family who are willing to drive it some distance (halfway) to help me sell it with minimal loss. Thanks for reading and I hope this post isn't against any forum rules.

Anthony

Old 02-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Anthony,

First let us express how sorry we are that you must sell your basecamp due to your recent accident.

We hope you are well on your way to recovery.

Good luck with selling your basecamp-it looks great. We hope that some day you'll be an Airstream owner once again.

All the best,

Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I wish you much luck in your recovery as well as finding a buyer for your basecamp.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Anthony...we are so sorry to learn of your accident and your current situation...and that you never had the chance to enjoy your Basecamp. Best of luck with your recovery.

And good luck selling your Basecamp...we know it's a hard thing to let go...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Inside AZBambi: AZBambi Décors
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #5

2008 Base Camp
Swansea , Illinois
This weekend I received a large non-refundable deposit on my Basecamp and consider it sold. Many thanks to air forums for the great classifieds section and community at large. Hopefully with continued recovery I might one day be an airstream owner again.
Happy trails everyone!
Anthony
Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Good job on selling your Basecamp - and good luck on your recovery process.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
The best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglito View Post
This weekend I received a large non-refundable deposit on my Basecamp and consider it sold. Many thanks to air forums for the great classifieds section and community at large. Hopefully with continued recovery I might one day be an airstream owner again.
Happy trails everyone!
Anthony
The very best of luck to you. We ride, and we can relate. My husband broke his back along with other injuries too grafic to mention. Long, long recovery but here we are riding again (cruisers only this time lol) and just bought our first Airstream which we are making a toyhauler out of. So speedy recovery and keep up the wonderful attitude. Bo and Susan
Old 03-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Quesnel , British Columbia
Wow - good job getting the money you did. I'd sell mine for $19,500... we paid a lot less in Lost Wages, NV...
Old 03-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #9

2008 Base Camp
Montreal , Quebec
I'm the lucky guy who bought his basecamp. First of all I want to thank Maglito for his confidence and patience in this deal. As I'm in Montreal and had few things to set before I was able to pick-up the trailer, he was very helpfull and open minded. Thanks!
Heads are turning with this Basecamp set behind my FJ Cruiser and I'm just waiting may to go in Myrtle Beach for the Bike Week and have the Harley tied down inside !

Wish you all the best and I hope you'll be able to get another Airstream soon. Never give up and I heard that it's what you're doing.

It was a pleasure to deal with you, as promised, you'll get some pictures later on
Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
Basecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Wow - good job getting the money you did. I'd sell mine for $19,500... we paid a lot less in Lost Wages, NV...
Hey-
Anychance you're still selling your Basecamp? I'm trying hard to find one...
Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Brewski- you might try sending a PM to Friday.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Quesnel , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewskiDV View Post
Hey-
Anychance you're still selling your Basecamp? I'm trying hard to find one...
I actually sold it last spring and after hunting around a bit ended up buying a used 22' International CCD. It was lots of fun on our trip to Disneyland, but pending the arrival of our first baby we decided having a bathroom and more space was needed for travelling with a baby and a dog...