Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
Navigating Repair with Dealer on 3 week old BC

Ok. So I've posted a bit about my experiences with the BC fridge and leaks, but last week was the first time i was able to get the trailer out to test it since picking it up on August 28th.

I've come back with a long list of problems, some serious and dangerous and I'm pretty frustrated. I like the Basecamp and know once these are sorted it will be a pleasure to own. I just can't help but feel I was conned by the dealer and feel pretty disrespected. Please chime in if I'm over reacting or being too sensitive. This is the first new RV we've purchased, this coupled with the reputation of the dealer (CanAm) had me optimistic. We had owned a 77 LandYacht so were familiar with AS and had come to love the brand.

At any rate delivery day was a mess. Our new tents came pre-stained, missing 2nd set of keys, kinda dirty interior condition in the BC, hurried walk around as the dealer was closing, barely a nod from the sales team and owners. Finance department was nice though..especially when I signed on the dotted line.

Day 2 in our driveway it leaked like a sieve during rain from under fridge and fridge itself would not cool on LP. It takes like 3 days now on shore power to even get to 40. This was their show model unit and it had traveled to a few shows...so who knows how long it has sat in the lot with water coming in?

Still excited we headed out to Alleghany State Park for a test run of 3 nights of camping.

When we turned gas on I could smell it mildly in the trailer and assumed it would dissipate...did not. Breakfast was exciting as the cook top ignited underneath when I turned it on and flame came shooting out of the hinge. Obviously a gas leak under there.

So we have now identified the following problems with this unit:
-Not cooling on LP
-Leaking rain water from ceiling fan and behind fridge during rain.
-LP Gas leak
-No hot water on Gas or Electric
-Rivet missing inside ceiling
-LP Gas cover rivets all coming out.
-Tents are stained.
-Velcro around windows is completely off
-Sink is loose (moves around)

I've reached out to ownership earlier in the week and they initially suggested they would pick up unit and get working on it, but they haven't gotten back to me since. I've contacted AS as I feel these are pretty serious issues and this trailer should never have left the dealership it the condition it was in. It just seems like it was a dangerous situation with the LP leak. Am I overreacting?

When the trailer gets to dealer I am going to insist that the floor and cabinetry be inspected for water damage as the duration of this leak is unknown and that photos be taken so I can inspect. Am I asking too much?

I'll follow up this saga once it gets to dealer, but if you have any advice on how I should navigate this I'm willing to listen.

Thanks
mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flame.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	322584  
Old 09-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
[Disclaimer -- the following comments, and words such as "defective," are only personal opinions -- they should not be taken as statements of fact.]

Personally, I would hire hire an attorney, and "Reject Your Acceptance" of this defective trailer, under the applicable UCC or other Provincial, state, country, consumer protection code.

Do everything by the book including certified mail, return receipt requested, and ask for your money back, plus damages.

Not the steps you were hoping to hear probably, but your Basecamp should have been perfect, given the host of earlier roll-out problems, which should have given Airstream actual notice of the defects, including:

-- fleet-wide axle recall
-- major fridge issues: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html
-- leaks and other issues: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...es-162632.html

Beboplu got a new Nest this way:
[click on orange arrow to follow his sad tale, which turned out OK for now apparently]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beboplu View Post
Wow, got home from our trip, took out everything we have in it so we can take the cursed thing back to Jackson Center first thing Monday, and while cleaning it, found cracks in the shower floor, as well as areas in the floor that had been patched up! This thing is nothing but a POS! I was worried that someone would try to steal it at first, now I wish they would!
Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
Thanks. I’m going to let the dealer attempt to resolve the issue first before gettin AS too involved. I contacted their cs office to let them know the condition of the Basecamp when I took ownership.

As far a lemon laws..we have none for RVs in Canada so I’d have to seek remedy through a US claim, but I think that is a bit premature.

Mike