Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2019, 11:21 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Fort Collins , Colorado
I also have a 2017 Basecamp. Aside from the known issue with the fridge, it’s been great. No shoddy quality issues or missing parts here. My fridge is getting replaced in October. I suspect the OP’s hunch is right - it was probably exposed to excess wear and tear while it sat on the lot for a year. I took delivery of mine the day it arrived.
ColoradoBCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:43 PM   #22

2017 Basecamp
Westminster , California
Curious. Are they replacing the refrigerator with another Dometic or with the Nova Kool?
TracieWllms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:30 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracieWllms View Post
Curious. Are they replacing the refrigerator with another Dometic or with the Nova Kool?
I don’t know. The service person I spoke with said, “There’s a service bulletin on that fridge. We’ll need it for 3-4 weeks. You’ll also be getting a second battery.”

Since it’s going to be early November when I get it back, it will be at least at least 6 months before I can put it to the test. I guess i’ll have to take their word that it’s been fixed.
ColoradoBCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Due to the potential for food poisoning with the faulty design using the Dometic (Airstream did not follow the recommendations for cooling using the Ammonia based cooling system of the Dometic left over from late 1800s from all the posts on the subject) one would have expected a factory recall of all the Basecamps to put in a refrigerator that keeps food cold rather than cooking the food to a dangerous spoilage temperature.

In the process, the inept design team should get their walking papers as well.

Airstream did not place a placard on the trailer or a notice in the sales literature to the effect this trailer will work as advertised only when there is a cloudy day with ambient temperatures around 40 degrees. They have not denied that it was never tested in summer days of 115 degrees in Arizona. Many folks drive through Arizona to get to California for a summer vacation or vice versa to Florida.

The rush to quickly build as many as possible results in cheaper quality and a disappointing experience for many customers. (Boeing 737Max comes to mind). One would think that as a publicly traded company, Thor would be concerned about negative press resulting from the shoddy construction in all of their RV products (from reading the forums of their other brands as well).

I think they have totally forgotten Wally Bynam's thoughts of making things better, not cheaper and problem prone.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #25
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBCer View Post
I don’t know. The service person I spoke with said, “There’s a service bulletin on that fridge. We’ll need it for 3-4 weeks. You’ll also be getting a second battery.”
Depending on what has been done previously, you should end up with a drain channel in the floor, seals around the top and bottom vents, and another, or better, cooling fan for the fridge. You may also get a layer of insulation between the top of the fridge and bottom of the countertop.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Flagstaff , Arizona
Send it back if you can

We've had our 2017 Basecamp since Feb. 2017. This is our first summer that it has been on the road more days than it has been at the dealer getting fixed. Currently, the frig doesn't work (even after getting the recall fixes), the water heater doesn't work, and the roof trim is cracking around the rivets and will need to be replaced soon. Oh, and the toilet seal behind the seat leaks, the window screens are coming unglued, and the back door doesn't seal properly.

We are experienced RVers, the BC is kept covered all winter, and I do all the maintenance required.

We bought an Airstream because we wanted quality, but Airstream hasn't lived up to our expectations. Yes, all units have initial issues, but the 2017 Basecamp has continued to have quality issues well into its life span.

Bottom line, roc97007, I'd return it if you can. In my experience, it is not going to live up to the quality you are probably expecting. The BC is a great design, but how Thor and Airstream have chosen to manufacture it ruins any chance that design is going to be appreciated when you have so many manufacturing and quality issues. Ours is going up for sale next week.
basecamp516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:

Since it’s going to be early November when I get it back, it will be at least at least 6 months before I can put it to the test.
I guess i’ll have to take their word that it’s been fixed. [emphasis added].

Have you read the Simple Survey thread linked in Post #4? Given that Airstream is no longer supplying a propane-based fridge in the Basecamp, if yours is not being replaced with the new 12-volt type, it is unlikely that the old fridge will work right IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . My fridge is getting replaced in October.
. . .
Thanks for this heads up. Are you also getting a second battery? The 12-volt [only] fridges are going to use a lot more electrical energy than a fridge being fired by propane.

If you do a lot of boondocking, are you planning on having a generator on board to keep your batteries charged?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #29
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by roc97007 View Post
Ok first time poster. I had intended to join this group anyway, and recent
events made it a high priority.

My wife bought a 2017 Basecamp off the dealer lot in August 2018. I'm in a tough spot, acting as a go-between for my wife and the Airstream dealer. She's fed up with the trailer and wants to dump it on Airstream's doorstep and walk away from it. I'm trying to find a less extreme solution.
For a trailer purchased off the lot, there's been a remarkable number of items
either missing or nonfunctional. (I suspect, since this trailer sat on the lot for
a year, it was a "hanger queen" during that time, and parts were "borrowed"
off it for other trailers.)

It does seem like the trailer is becoming a money pit. We've had it almost a year, and noticed things missing or nonfunctional from the day I picked it up.

We've taken it out four times, three weekends and one week long stay, and
it's been back to the dealer for repairs three times. It's there right now, and
has been for coming up on three weeks. The trailer has literally spent more time in the service department than it has camping out.

This is my list so far:

- Blackwater hose storage box missing. (Replaced by the dealer.)

- Parts of the bed missing (replaced by dealer. The replacement parts don't fit right, but we've been making do.)

- A cabinet door fell off. I found that it was held on by tiny wood screws into particle board and they had just pulled out. I replaced them with larger, longer screws and so far it's holding.

- Batteries stopped charging off shore power on third trip. (batteries
replaced by dealer)

- issue with refrigerator, all or part of which was replaced by dealer. (I
don't know the details on this one.)

- Significant gas leak on fourth camping trip, which happened to be the Airstream users group campout. Hi, meet the factory reps and... hey, is that gas I smell?

- Screws pulled out of the back door. Door replaced by dealer

- Side door replaced by dealer. (The service department found something
wrong with it this last time it was in for service, and they're replacing
the whole door. I don't know what was wrong.)

- Roof molding coming undone, replaced by dealer. (Trivial, but I'm trying to get all the issues in one place.

This seems like a lot of issues for less than a year's ownership.

I guess it boils down to two issues:

1) The gas leak, which Airstream's own documentation says "can lead to
injury or death"
, is not covered by the warranty. It'll cost around $750 to
replace the range, where the crack is. This really doesn't make sense to me,
and is, in fact, a deal killer for my wife.

2) The larger issue: We went with Airstream because of their reputation
for quality. Yes, they cost more, but it's worth it for the fit and finish,
durability, and the way the company stands by the product. Right? I think
it's fair to say, we haven't been impressed so far. Is this what everyone else
has been experiencing, or did we get a lemon?

To other Basecamp owners: Have you had experiences like mine?

This has to suck for the dealer, too. I've had to drag the thing back to them
three times now, and they've made a lot of repairs and replacements free
of charge. I'm sure THEY have better things to do also.

But what happens when the repairs are no longer free? Did we get everything, this time, or will we see things continue to fail at this rate? I just realized, I haven't even tried the space heater or water heater yet. I don't even know if those items work.

I *like* the product. It's a dream to pull. The view from the kitchen is
excellent. The layout is really well thought out. The tent extension, after
we figured it out, is relatively easy to set up and doubles the floor space.
I photograph horse shows, and I find the door in the back extremely
convenient for loading my table, chairs, and other equipment. It's a
nice trailer. When it works.

I've left a rather lengthy, and I hope not too hysterical, message with
Airstream customer support (they're on eastern time) basically outlining
the above. I'm waiting for a call back.

I don't *want* to get rid of the trailer. But neither do I want to spend my
declining years throwing money and effort at a product that may never
function properly.

I could really use some help here.

Ron
Hi roc97007,*

We're very sorry to learn about your experience so far with your Basecamp. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and escalate this to our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get these things resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 08-05-2019, 07:06 AM   #30
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by duboismjjp View Post
Ron, I am also a new Airstream owner from early this year and quite disappointed with what I was told was superior quality that justified the price. My experience on my 22FB has been loose axle, doors falling off from too light hardware, by pass valves installed the wrong way, rivets falling off, unflush finishes, panels getting loose, water heater running intermittently, so as you I seem to be spending more time upgrading and fixing things than camping. The good thing is that this forum has helped me understand that i'm not the only one.
Hi duboismjjp,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you have had with your Basecamp. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more.

Thank you.*
Old 08-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
You actually saw QC issues as each of your AS units were built and you still buy AS? Hmmm.... We bought a Thor product(non-AS) new once and it never was fixed right, last time for that experience!! Our AS was 26 years old(1989) when we bought it for $13.5k in 2015, we have upgraded/replaced items over the years before their demise, thus never losing a day of camping or spending more than a day in the shop(even for axles, but it was a long day, lol). Put $10k +/- into our unit since purchasing it, but surely much cheaper than a new rig. The point is, when you buy used, you should expect to put money into it so it isn''t so much of a stressor. Buying new adds many stressors: the initial cost, the depreciation, dealer interaction, warranty issues, etc. Don't get me wrong new rigs are beautiful, but to the average person, an AS is an AS. My DW and I often get complements on the road on our not so new AS because it is an AS. Not so sure about the Basecamp (not the classic AS design), but I am sure most AS owners know what I mean. I do feel bad for your experience, I personally would sell the trailer and look into something else... Good luck!!
Jim
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Oops, sorry all, the quote (switz's) didn't copy with my response!! : (
Jim
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #33
Rebelrod

2018 Basecamp
Mount Juliet , Tennessee
Same issues with my 2018. Leaks, sprays from shower plumbing under the bench.
Rocket RV in Alabama fixed the shower leak and replaced the floor, but that’s all they did in 2 months. Now door screen is broken, ceiling is scratched, leaks under fridge still there. I could go on and on. Lord help me.

Luckily, I only spent 38 K on an Airstream. Ohio keeps telling me to take it back to the shop. I say come get the thing. I’m tired of driving and waiting.

I’m sad because it a cute little thing. I’m embarrassed that Airstream turned out to be a Waterstream.
Rebelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelrod View Post
Rocket RV in Alabama fixed the shower leak and replaced the floor, but that’s all they did in 2 months. Now door screen is broken, ceiling is scratched, leaks under fridge still there. I could go on and on. Lord help me.

Luckily, I only spent 38 K on an Airstream. Ohio keeps telling me to take it back to the shop. I say come get the thing. I’m tired of driving and waiting.

I’m sad because it a cute little thing. I’m embarrassed that Airstream turned out to be a Waterstream.
We know AS Customer Service is listening. I just hope they pass this info up the chain to upper management. They can kill their brand if they keep pumping out stuff like this.

The OP could have bought an SOB trailer for 1/3 or less than what he paid for a basecamp. So what if the SOB is junk after 10 years. For that kind of price difference he could afford to replace the SOB twice.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #35
Rebelrod

2018 Basecamp
Mount Juliet , Tennessee
Has anyone else noticed a missing screw on their Basecamp’s brake light? My left lens only had one screw. The screw was broken off inside the hole. I had to drill it out before replacing it. Looks like it was a tap screw. I suppose I should have scoured this thing from top to bottom before buying it. So many issues.

Now I’m wondering if that explains the water since the lens wasn’t protecting the wiring hole.

Thanks
Rebelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Used is used, it is a crap shoot!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
The more I read about new Airsteam issues, the happier I am with my 51 year old Airstream....

One of the biggest advantages I see to an old Airstream is the flexibility to renovate it into whatever you want.....Beds, kitchen, bath, etc.....it can all be customized into exactly what you want, for a reasonable amount of money....And you get the good pleasure and satisfaction of doing it yourself....some folks cannot do that stuff and that makes an old airstream less attractive, but Lordy, I can do lots and lots of mods and customizations to my Airstream and still have less than $40,000.00 in it.,....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelrod View Post
Rocket RV in Alabama fixed the shower leak and replaced the floor, but that’s all they did in 2 months.

It’s not exciting but you could always find a 5 rivet dealer. Looks like Atlanta has one.
I’m in Pensacola FL and end up driving past 3 other dealers to get to a 5 rivet to get work done. It’s the next best thing to just making it to Jackson Center

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Big problems come in small packages.

Really sorry to hear about this.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Welcome to Thor’s world. All their brands have quality issues and they keep making loads of money.

Are you not getting warranty items covered? The fridge should be covered under its manufacturer’s warranty or the Airstream warranty if it is installed badly. If they replace it with a 12 v. model, you will have a trailer designed for more remote camping that doesn’t include electric at campgrounds or dispersed camping. You will need a generator to charge the batteries. Will they give you 6 v. golf cart batteries (they are better) or the usual cheap, low capacity batteries they use as OEM ones.

We had to take ours 1,400 miles each way to JC since the Colorado dealer was awful. You are even further away. I doubt Airstream will replace it (why would you want another?), but keep posting here until they do something special for you.

This has been going on for decades. Some people get lemons and some get decent ones or are happy with lots of problems. You will eventually hear from Airstream apologists who either are lucky or will accept any crap if they think it is special. Some will say all RV’s have low quality, so low quality is fine. Hard to tell what percentage of owners get lemons, but it is significant. The only good thing with Airstream’s reputation for quality is when we sold ours, we got a lot of money for it. Of course it was in far better shape than when we bought it. And our new “cheap” trailer was in much better condition than our new Airstream ever was.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote