Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Preston , Washington
Mice!

Anyone else having mice trying to make a home in their Basecamp? I noticed evidence a few weeks ago so started keeping a trap on the floor. I seem to get a mouse every week or so. I just came back from a two week motorcycle trip and had a rather decomposed mouse in the trap so trapping is not the best long term solution. Any idea how they get in??? The only openings I could really find were around my wheel wells. Thoughts??
Donn
Donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Purchase a product called "Cab Fresh" which is used by farmers to keep mice out of tractor and equipment cabs. It is usually available at farm supply type stores and smells good in your unit. I put about 6 bags in my 34' and have never had a mouse problem since uning it. I put it in the bottom of cabinets and places where mice like to go.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Cat, food, water, litter box. Air wick.
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
Funny you mention mice. I just now went outside to see if my string light was working. I just put it underneath my Airstream today. It is blinking away and all seems good.

Put a string light underneath. Mice and such do not like the light so I am told. People say once you do this you never have a problem. I bought a 3O foot light with a solar panel for like $10 dollars from Amazon. I just ordered a 66 foot ($15.00) battery string light as the 30 foot on seemed a bit small.

Also, I will be stuffing stainless steel wool (not regular steel wool) into any spots I see underneath. As well, I put a few glue boards around for good measure. Inside and out.
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there are quite a few posts/threads on dealing with mice:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mice...com&gws_rd=ssl

The critters are able to get through a very small hole, so the struggle to keep them out is a long row to hoe.

Good luck,

Peter

FYI
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
https://www.earthkind.com/product/fr...ent-repellent/
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Preston , Washington
Thanks for all the suggestions. So evidently I'm not the first person with this problem....
I bought some "Fresh Cab" at the local grange supply today. Smells nice and hopefully will keep the critters away. I never thought that putting a baited trap in the trailer might actually be attracting the mice.
Donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
We will check out Fresh Cab too, thanks for the heads up.

https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Bot...+scent+pouches

Donnh are you keeping any heat on when you store the trailer? That can attract the mice also.

Peter
Old 11-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
I live in a very rural setting, and my AS is parked in an upper driveway, next to a big meadow. Several years ago, I had to just give up and have a pest control outfit start coming four times a year. Mice getting into the house tend to force that...

Mice were a problem with the last SOB trailer, until the pest control guys put a "monitor box" under the trailer, inboard of the wheels. This is a 1'×2' box with a maze to keep everything but mice and rats out, filled with commercial-grade bait. The mice and rats go there first because it's very attractive to them, then eat their fill and go out into the meadow to die and so become food for the local raptors.

The bait's poison is non-persistent; it does its job then dissipates, making the dead rodents safe for the hunters to eat.

Hope that helps.

PS. If you're into stuffing possible entry spaces with rodent-proof material, I saw something in this month's issue of This Old House magazine that was supposed to be a good solution... and... now I can't find it... aaaargh.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Fresh Cab

Fresh Cab gets my vote . We use it for the Airstream , another trailer, boat, and classic car. never have any mice issues. Any good farm implement dealer or farm supply store will have it.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
. . .
. . . filled with commercial-grade bait. The mice and rats go there first because it's very attractive to them, then eat their fill and go out into the meadow to die and so become food for the local raptors.

The bait's poison is non-persistent; it does its job then dissipates, making the dead rodents safe for the hunters to eat.
. . .
Could you please provide a link for this bait? Any idea of the time-frame for the "non-persistant" dissipation?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- We just deployed some Fresh Cab in kitchen lower cabinets which have had mouse problems over past winters. Amazon link in Post #8.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Could you please provide a link for this bait? Any idea of the time-frame for the "non-persistant" dissipation?.
This product is only available to professional pest control outfits; I asked when the guys were here this last summer. Whatever it is, it works ten times better than the "Tomcat" stuff I can get at the hardware store.

The guys told me that the poison's lethality is completely dissipated upon the rodent's death. It has to do with it being metabolized and excreted by their body.

Hope that helps.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Decon used to make a bait product that would disrupt the digestive system of a rodent and make them thirsty. In theory, they would go outside to a water source and drink furthering their digestive distress. Apparently rodents cannot vomit ( learned this from a Veterinarian friend ) and would bleed internally and die (the key here is OUTSIDE). I can't find this stuff locally so not sure if it's still available. Other predators that would find and eat them would not be bothered because if affected they can simply vomit and move on. Worked well in applications that I used it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we use bars of GREEN Irish spring soap.
we place them throughout the AS and under neath and in the house.

mice cant stand the smell

so far, no mice

we also use sticky glue traps with peanut butter

we would get 1-2 per month especially in the winter before we placed the green soap bars out
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Decon used to make a bait product that would disrupt the digestive system of a rodent and make them thirsty. In theory, they would go outside to a water source and drink furthering their digestive distress. Apparently rodents cannot vomit ( learned this from a Veterinarian friend ) and would bleed internally and die (the key here is OUTSIDE). I can't find this stuff locally so not sure if it's still available. Other predators that would find and eat them would not be bothered because if affected they can simply vomit and move on. Worked well in applications that I used it.
It is still around but all I can find is bait stations and refills for stations, Several other names are same thing but all harder to find as all have bait stations & refills my area including farm stores.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I'm not sure how the step is for your trailer but mine consists of 2 mouse width foot long slots which lead right in to the belly. And are especially exposed when the step is deployed.
I made two sets of aluminum covers for the slots. Step open & step closed. They get attached with a couple strong magnets held to the aluminum with Sugru moldable glue.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote