Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Manteca!

Just dropped my 2006 Bambi 19' off at Manteca RV to get some warranty work done (minor fit/finish, fixing a light). While there had the chance to see a new Basecamp. It was set up in the showroom. Sure did NOT do it justice. Nice rig but the dealer just had it sitting there like it came off the truck. One of the back cushions was missing, it was dirty inside, and the lack of detailing made the whole thing look, well, "cheesy."

From the outside, it looks beautiful. Kind of like a streamlined horse trailer. This model has a stove, a single stove burner, a CD/Radio, and lots of counter space. It looked like there was a 5 day cooler /electric? too.

Haven't seen one on the road or camping yet. Nice to be able to see the kinds of "mods" our creative Forum members will be able to come up with.

JERRY

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I drove three hours there to have my A/S moho appraised for some body work, and to say the least, the Manteca people weren't all that helpful or even knowledgeable about repair costs. I ended up taking it to a local body shop for the work and it cost less than the A/S people said it would. I would be careful about what they do to your trailer. Suffice it to say that the Basecamp you saw and the condition it was in reflects their enthusiasm for service, in my opinion.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Interesting...

I sort of got the same sense. I know they just recently moved into their new facility. I would like to give them the benefit of a doubt that they are still getting the "bugs" out. This was warranty work so I wanted to give them first crack as they are the dealer I bought the rig from.

I was told they actually had the largest service department in California. And, they have customer satisfaction ratings posted in the service offices showing monthly ratings of 94% - 100%.

Will let everyone know how well they do.

Jerry

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscinante
I sort of got the same sense. I know they just recently moved into their new facility. I would like to give them the benefit of a doubt that they are still getting the "bugs" out.

Jerry
I never eat in a restaurant that just opened. The same with any new business. You may not have a choice where to take your warranty work so prepare yourself for some 'go back and get it right'(s)

Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
The Manteca dealer also owns the Airstream dealership in Sacramento, on El Camino. I've dealt only with Sacramento, a very small operation with little attention to Airstream, seeming to favor other brands. Also, the lot is small and old, and totally unpaved in the rear, where you go for maintenance. Only two people there seem to have any mechanical understanding of Airstreams, and their efforts are limited because they maintain no stock of Airstream parts, relying on Manteca.

For a brand marketed as premium, Aistream certainly allows a lot of marginal (or worse!) dealerships.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Manteca stinks.....

Ya know Manteca means "Lard" in spanish! That dealership has been Airstream forever but the guy with the cigar and his wife, the blonde passed away years ago. I think someone from the family still runs it (son or something) and they could give a s--- about Airstream. Lousy service, pushy sales creeps and an arogant parts crew.

I went there because I wanted to add the disc brakes to my '05. The Kodiak add says "see your Airstream dealer for details"....HA! They had no idea what I was talking about...even showed them the add and they said they didn't know anything about it, it wasn't in the computer and they weren't interested in researching it or installing it if I would buy the kit!

I bought my trailer in Los Banos and I will drive the extra hour from Sacramento to Los Banos because they don't have their head up their....well you know.

Mike
Old 04-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I bought my last Jayco from Manteca in their old location and wanted to give them first shot at the AS. What a mistake that was. Nice sales rep but his higher ups were just jerks. I told them I was going to go check in Los Banos at Toscanos. The sales manager at Manteca said they would beat the price from Toscanos. Dave at Toscano gave me a price over the phone and e-mail. I went back to Manteca with the price and you would have thought I had murdered their dog. Rude, pushy, jerks. The called me a liar that the price was under their invoice (BS) and that they couldn't make any money. As I knew their invoice price (a mistake from one of their closers) I knew that was not the case. They wanted me to come in the next day to be worked on in the back room. I just went down to Toscano and got EXACTLY what I wanted at EXACTLY what they said it would be.

The only nice part about this story (aside from a great RV) is when the sales rep called me up about a week later to see if I was still interested in their trailer. I told him that his bosses killed his deal and the commission that went with it. He was gracious and apologetic. Having been in sales for many years, it's tought to lose sale due to the jerks that are above you.

There, I got that off my chest and yes, I do feel better.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote