Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
<<...when we saw that Nissan designed a new trailer for Airstream we knew we had to show you. The Airstream BaseCamp Trailer, created by Nissan Design America at its La Jolla, California facility, is an ultra-lightweight, aluminum-based trailer that "blends the convenience of RV travel with the versatility of car camping" and offers "a whole new level of versatility, durability and comfort for today's adventurer.">> <http://uncrate.com/stuff/nissan-airstream-basecamp-trailer/>

Sign me: NOT an Airstream purist!
Michael
This information and photo is old...from around 2005. (See it again at Nissan unveils BaseCamp Airstream Trailer, written in 2005.) We own a 2008 Basecamp. They were made by Airstream from 2007-2009.
basecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #22
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
How can you tell that "95% of those are scams"?
The ones that are asking $2,000 or $3,000. That's completely ridiculous.

The real ones are up to $20,000 and or more.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #23
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Interesting thread. Through this summer, I was a tent camper. Pit toilets and all, just a water faucet as an amenity. Being over 50, I realized I'm tired of sleeping on the ground.

Started looking at alternatives, and landed on a Sylvan Sport Go Camper. Very cool, high utility, quality machine that combines an outstanding gear hauler with a custom Kelty Tent. Check out their video on their website. $8900 plus shipping, and could tow it with my VW TDI Sportwagon.

Well, then I started thinking. A toilet *would be kind of nice*. And a furnace for those really cold damp nights when I'm too afraid to admit that I'm miserable. So I evolved to a 16 ft Sport Airstream. We went and looked at one, and though small, decided it would be 'enough." And the wet bath would seem like a luxury compared to tent camping with NO showers in many of the places we go. But the same day, looked at a 22 foot sport--and have to say, simply LOVE that floorplan--and that full bath in the back. Hmmmm.

To make a long story short, I just closed this week on a barely used, 2013 Flying Cloud. I actually like the floorplan of the Sport 22 better, but felt that price-wise, it made sense to get the 19 ft flying cloud instead. Just the upgrades alone, with the segment protectors (rock guards), stainless propane cover, rear bumper with storage, more grey and black water capacity, more fresh water capacity, etc. I don't like the corner bath setup as much as the dedicated bath setup that the 22 Sport has (the corner bath has the toilet and shower behind a door, then the vanity sink out in the open...and the toilet stall is VERY cramped for a 6-2er like me, whereas the sport 22 has a very spacious bath setup. But the tradeoffs to upgrade to the Flying Cloud were worth it, including the fact that at 3 feet shorter, it's easier to tow, camp in tight spots, and fit in my really short driveway without sticking into the street. And thanks to AS's holding their value so well, moving up to a Flying Cloud 19 was reasonable compare to buying a used Sport 16, which was still in the running. I have also asked a lot of people who have had wet-bath campers, and they are unanimous in saying that the wet baths were miserable.

So I decided to eliminate my eventual 'first' upgrade (from a 16 to something bigger) right up front and start out with the 19 with a full bath. I even felt a bit guilty considering an Airstream (real campers camp in tents!). But then I had a heart to heart with myself. I'm 55, (granted, active and a "young" 55 LOL!), and realized simply that...there is nothing wrong with enjoying the comfort of an Airstream at this point in my life. If I want to go Rambo and tent sometimes, I still can load the VW and go. But otherwise, I'll be hitching the Flying Cloud up to the used Toyota Tundra I bought to tow it with, and hit the road. (Maiden voyage will be the Oregon coast in two weeks after I pick up the silver lady in Eugene, Oregon!)

Whatever you decide, enjoy it! I know from whence you come though, because I have been in your shoes the past 2 months.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:30 PM   #24
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamper View Post
This information and photo is old...from around 2005. (See it again at Nissan unveils BaseCamp Airstream Trailer, written in 2005.) We own a 2008 Basecamp. They were made by Airstream from 2007-2009.
So, you mean because it is old, it is no longer relevant? Was the Nissan-designed Basecamp very different from, what? an Airstream designed Basecamp? Or is it just that manufacturing credit goes to Airstream and the Nissan design connection is to be discounted or dismissed? BTW, I admired the Basecamp when I first saw it, especially many of the design solutions to travel trailer floorpan dilemmas. And of course I love when a trailer has her door in the delightful rear entry position.
Best,
Michael in California
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
So, you mean because it is old, it is no longer relevant? Was the Nissan-designed Basecamp very different from, what? an Airstream designed Basecamp? Or is it just that manufacturing credit goes to Airstream and the Nissan design connection is to be discounted or dismissed? BTW, I admired the Basecamp when I first saw it, especially many of the design solutions to travel trailer floorpan dilemmas. And of course I love when a trailer has her door in the delightful rear entry position.
Best,
Michael in California
Not at all! (I don't understand the point you are trying to make.) I was just saying that the Airstream Basecamp that was produced from 2007-2009 was designed by Nissan.
basecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

novi , Michigan
Basecamp 2008

I have my 2008 base camp for sale see airstream classifieds
Tmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #27

houston , Texas
Great Base Camp in Texas

I know you are in the NE but have had no replies. If you find yourself near Houston, Tx.....we just posted our 2007 Base Camp for sale for $21,500. Is pretty doggone pristine and such fun!! Link below. Good luck in your search.

2007 Airstream Base Camp , Houston TX - - RVtrader.com

gonetocolo@aol.com
gonetocolo is offline   Reply With Quote