Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #1

New Cumberland , Pennsylvania
Looking for Basecamp in NE USA - To Buy

Hello all...

New to the forum. Looking for a Basecamp somewhere within reasonable driving distance from Harrisburg, PA. First to just look at to see if a Basecamp is really really what we want to step up to and then to start the search to buy one.

Our family has been a pop-up family since the start and now that the kids are out of school and on their own my wife and I would like to start traveling around this great country of ours and see the sites. I'm not into setting up and tearing down a pop-up so we thought a Basecamp would do the trick. Something simple, durable, and a bit lighter than the full Airstreams.

Looking forward to any comments you might have and if your within reasonable driving distance of Harrisburg PA, and you own a Basecamp, and wouldn't mind us stopping by to take a look I'd really appreciate you letting me know. And if your looking for a happy home for your Basecamp then definitely let me know.

Thank you.

stew
Ivessm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

I see I'm getting a lot of views on this thread but no responses. Surly there is a Basecamp somewhere in the PA/MD area that someone would let me look at.

As I am looking at the Airstream line and looking at the Basecamp I'm beginning to think it is a bit too rustic for our trip plans. I see it's really not a camper that you can pull in, park, climb in, and kick back a relax. It seems my thoughts are wandering to a Sport 22FB or an International 19. I'm thinking that the dinette seats in the front of the International are more appropriate than the bed being in the front. Seems when your awake and spending some time sitting at the table you will want to look out the windows around you.

I like the weight of the 22FB Sport. I'm not a big shower person in the camper so I'm surprised they don't save space in the 22FB Sport and use the Wet Bath from the 16 Sport.

How many of you Airstream users actually use the shower as a shower?

Well, wishing you all many happy miles.

stew
Old 07-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Stew, sorry you aren't getting much feedback but I don't think this forum has been a place where there was a lot of attention given to Basecamps. As you point out, it may not be seen as the type of camper that the participants here are focused on.

Regarding the use of showers in an Airstream. I am not aware of any of my friends or acquaintances that do not use the showers in their trailers. We find the shower in our trailer very user friendly, adequate and are glad it's in the layout.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The Basecamps were pretty rare to begin with. I have only seen a couple of them and have been in one. I am sure they fit a small group of campers, but not enough for a viable market, as Airstream found out.

When looking, be sure to look at the 20' FC. It is a design quite different from the 19 and the 22 you have seen. However, it does have a big bath and shower, which may be wasted space to you.

BTW, I use my shower each day and it is a very important part of the Airstream to me. I am not at all a fan of the wet bath system.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Ivessm: As owner of a Basecamp (and a 23' Safari SE) I think you have a good feel for what they are, and are not. While it has a "cool" factor of 10++, the Basecamp is more of a primitive camper than it is what most people think of as a travel trailer.

We love ours, but only use it for shorter trips (3-4 nights) where we want to be camping a lot like we used to in our VW camper. For longer trips and campgrounds lacking showers we choose the 23'.

So, a lot of this depends on your style, and how you plan to use the trailer.

By the way, in response to my question, Airstream recently told me that they made 210 of them: 153 in 2007, 51 in 2008, and 6 in 2009.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Google is your friend:

Airstream Basecamp For Sale Cheap
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Terlingua , Texas
You may want to join a RV forum as you may get a better response to this subject. Try the Escapees RV Club as they have parks around the country that sell lots for this purpose. Good luck and happy journeys and adventures!
sbeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I think they might be building them again call Jackson Center
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
Google is your friend:

Airstream Basecamp For Sale Cheap
too bad 95% of those are scams.

But...

2 or 3 are real!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We also looked at a Basecamp, back in the day when they were new. Cool, but minimalistic for the price and weight. Wound up with a T@B instead, which we really enjoyed.

As for the shower question: as soon as we got a trailer with a spacious shower and enough gray water tank capacity (helped by changing to a low-flow Oxygenics shower head), we essentially never used campground showers again. It's a hedonistic luxury for us.

Tom
Old 07-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
We looked at a Basecamp back in 2009 basically as a toy hauler with which we could camp. Decided it was about 1/10th of the price to add the camp functionality to a regular hauler.

Wire for both 12v/110v, add some windows and an awning, panel the inside, fitted cabinets for a camp stove and wash-up, a privacy curtain and Porta Potti, add in a portable battery pack (a couple of lead acids in a plastic tool box!), 200w solar, 12v fridge and a cheap (disposable) inverter and you have the same functionality (a toy hauler in which you can camp), for around under $3K.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
OMG First thought was " Who wants a Basecamp in Nebraska" which is in NE. North East = NE I assume. Well I have some land across the street which would make a perfect Basecamp because it's heavily wooded. OH! You mean the the small trailer ~~~~~~~
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
Here's the case FOR a Basecamp, from people who have been using one for seven years. We bought a Basecamp in 2007....a brand-new 2008 model. We love it! It is very lightweight in terms of towing, so our mid-size SUV (with reasonable gas mileage) tows it. It takes no time to set up. We are able to sleep comfortably in air-conditioning. (It takes only a few minutes to convert the two "sofas" into a full-size bed at night and only a few minutes to convert it back to two "sofas" in the morning.) The view from inside is incredible, with the wrap-around windows. Since we want to have electricity (air-conditioning or heater, use of computer, tv, radio, lighting), we always stay in a modern campground anyway, so showers/restrooms are always available....and we don't have to deal with gray water or black water. It's a very simple way of camping, yet you have the comforts of home. Set-up is quick and easy. Pull-out is quick and easy. Clean-up is quick and easy. Our cat can go with us wherever we go, so no pet-sitter is needed. Let me say here that we do not try to "cook" in the Basecamp. We have breakfast and coffee (Keurig) in the Basecamp, but we don't try to cook meals in the Basecamp. (That suits me just fine. I love to eat out or bring carry-out back to the Basecamp. You don't have to try to store a bunch of food, and you don't have to deal with dishes.) We keep everything SIMPLE, and we love it that way. I might also mention here that we do living history, so we sometimes have 18th C.-style canvas tentage, tent poles, and fine-crafted 18th Century reproduction home furnishings packed in tubs that we must haul in the Basecamp....and that's when it does its job as a utility trailer. Once we get set up at the event grounds and unload all that, we head to the modern campground to set up for living in the Basecamp for the weekend. I cannot tell you how nice it is, after sweating all day in 18th Century clothing in summer heat, to go back to the modern campground and the Basecamp, where we have access to showers and can sleep comfortably in a real bed in an air-conditioned space of our own. We live in Elizabethtown, KY.
basecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
We second everything basecamper said about the joys of the Basecamp, and add a few. With a porta-potty, a catalytic propane heater, and careful use of water you can go off-grid for several days at a time. The inability to do more than a navy shower is what limits our use of it to shorter trips or campgrounds with showers.

We think of our 23' as a mobile cabin -- for better or for worse, with a Basecamp you are camping.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #15

Smile

Many thanks to all who have posted here. After much thought and a realization that I'm just not as young as I used to be I'm beginning to think I'm a few years past my Basecamp camping years and am now researching the Bambi II travel trailers.

I wish you all many happy miles.

stew
Old 07-06-2015, 08:18 PM   #16

Smile

Many thanks to all who have posted here. After much thought and a realization that I'm just not as young as I used to be I'm beginning to think I'm a few years past my Basecamp camping years and am now researching the Bambi II travel trailers.

I wish you all many happy miles.

stew
Old 07-07-2015, 06:42 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
too bad 95% of those are scams.

But...

2 or 3 are real!

How can you tell that "95% of those are scams"?
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY24 View Post
How can you tell that "95% of those are scams"?
Because many are way below market price, and I see the same image between ads!

Don't you find it somewhat unusual that multiple ads ask for prices like $6,308? Do they expect me to only offer $$6,135?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
There is one listed on eBay now and is located in Salt Lake City.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #20
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
(Why Ask Why?)

<<...when we saw that Nissan designed a new trailer for Airstream we knew we had to show you. The Airstream BaseCamp Trailer, created by Nissan Design America at its La Jolla, California facility, is an ultra-lightweight, aluminum-based trailer that "blends the convenience of RV travel with the versatility of car camping" and offers "a whole new level of versatility, durability and comfort for today's adventurer.">> <http://uncrate.com/stuff/nissan-airstream-basecamp-trailer/>

Sign me: NOT an Airstream purist!
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 9.59.04 AM.png
Views:	114
Size:	934.5 KB
ID:	249534  
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote