Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Beaverdam , Virginia
Leak - Failure of Basecamp black plastic roof joint/trim

I purchased a 2018 BC Nov 8, 2019. During inspection I noted to the dealer (Haydocy - Columbus) that the silicone seal had deteriorated where the mid sections of the plastic trim/joint joined the front curved trim/joint. I was told it was not an issue but noted water in the galley last week after a hard rain. I contacted my local dealer (Airstream of Va) to schedule a service...but...they have not put me on the calendar yet as they wait for parts for (failing propane detector, lift kit).

My initial assumption was that the leak was due to failure of the sealing compound (Sikaflex or Silicone). I inspected further this week and found that the black plastic mid trailer roof trim/joint cracked on the right side of the trailer and broke completely on the left side of the trailer about 8 inches back from where it joins the front trim/joint piece. These pieces are riveted to the roof and sealed along the edges. It痴 not clear whether the failure is due to stress on the plastic as it follows the curve of the roof line or whether expansion/contraction of the plastic trim and aluminum roof/wall panels. Regardless...it appears to be a design failure.

The factory warranty expired yesterday. I知 hoping Airstream will extend coverage based on my earlier report of the problem and the delay getting a service appointment with the dealer. I知 also disappointed that this is one of multiple issues missed/ignored by the selling dealer during the pre-sale Trailer Delivery Inspection process.

Others seeing this issue?
Bill
bkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkitchens View Post
I purchased a 2018 BC Nov 8, 2019. During inspection I noted to the dealer (Haydocy - Columbus) that the silicone seal had deteriorated where the mid sections of the plastic trim/joint joined the front curved trim/joint. I was told it was not an issue but noted water in the galley last week after a hard rain. I contacted my local dealer (Airstream of Va) to schedule a service...but...they have not put me on the calendar yet as they wait for parts for (failing propane detector, lift kit).

My initial assumption was that the leak was due to failure of the sealing compound (Sikaflex or Silicone). I inspected further this week and found that the black plastic mid trailer roof trim/joint cracked on the right side of the trailer and broke completely on the left side of the trailer about 8 inches back from where it joins the front trim/joint piece. These pieces are riveted to the roof and sealed along the edges. It痴 not clear whether the failure is due to stress on the plastic as it follows the curve of the roof line or whether expansion/contraction of the plastic trim and aluminum roof/wall panels. Regardless...it appears to be a design failure.

The factory warranty expired yesterday. I知 hoping Airstream will extend coverage based on my earlier report of the problem and the delay getting a service appointment with the dealer. I知 also disappointed that this is one of multiple issues missed/ignored by the selling dealer during the pre-sale Trailer Delivery Inspection process.

Others seeing this issue?
Bill
Hi bkitchens,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.
Thank you.*
Old 12-03-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Beaverdam , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi bkitchens,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.
Thank you.*
Thank you for the follow up. The 2018 Basecamp VIN # is 1SMG4DC12JJ203392. My contact information is:
Bill Kitchens
804-227-3665 H
804-994-7353 M
16496 Little River Drive
Beaverdam, VA 23015
Old 12-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Beaverdam , Virginia
Okay...now I知 impressed!

Airstream Customer Support called me this morning to follow up on my issues. They had already contacted my local dealer for more info. I知 feeling pretty good about the level of support can their commitment to customer satisfaction.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Franklin , Wisconsin
I also have a 2018 BC and the lower black plastic trim at the rear of trailer cracked. Our dealer did a great job fixing it. When they removed it there were several rivets sticking out from where they attached the skin to the frame which caused the cracks. I guess during assembly they normally install a thin foam rubber strip over them to avoid this issue but that was missed on ours. I am not sure if this would be similar on the roof but it might be something that you may want to have you dealer take a look at. Good luck!
FaFaFooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:55 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Beaverdam , Virginia
Leak at tent/visor trim

My local dealer found that water was entering where the aluminum channel along the roofline attaches to the trailer. Some screw heads were broken and the seal was compromised. The dealer removed, sealed and reattached the trim channel which appears to have addressed the leak in the front. Still need to check on the rear...suspect the same. (Dealer forgot to check the rear).

Great response from Airstream support and the dealer.
Thanks.
Bill