Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Organic Farmer

2008 Base Camp
Nibley , Utah
Talking Just bought our first Base Camp!!!

Hi, this probably shouldn't be a new thread, but new to forum-ing... We just bought a 2008 basecamp and I'm SO happy. Can't wait to get it out in the woods!! Just wanted to say to (? whom?) that I fit the demographic this unit was made for and I'm so happy to have been able to find and own one.

I think we should start a petition drive to get Airstream to bring it back. I know they've added the back door to the new Eddie Bauer model (but I can't afford that till it's very old...).

Penny - First Frost
firstfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Congratulations!

Congratulations Penny!

We love the Basecamp and wish we had one too! We'd like to think we fit the demographics that Airstream is marketing to.

Welcome to the forums. We'll look forward to reading about your adventures on the road.

All the best,
Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstfrost View Post
We just bought a 2008 basecamp and I'm SO happy. Can't wait to get it out in the woods!! Just wanted to say to (? whom?) that I fit the demographic this unit was made for and I'm so happy to have been able to find and own one.
Sounds cool Penny. My sister is looking at one of these but I just have not had much time to research them. She really likes them even although I cannot see why she does not go for a Bambi. I'd be curious to hear what you were looking for and what made you decide on the Basecamp.

I few more questions if you do not mind....
What are sellers getting for these in good shape?
Did you think about a late model 16' Bambi and if so what were the trade offs?
And OK I will bite......what is the demographics for these?
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Great. You have a rare collectors item. We have never seen one on the road as of yet.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Organic Farmer

2008 Base Camp
Nibley , Utah
HI Wayward,

The main feature that attracted me/us is the back door opening. Our outdoor adventures are usually whitewater rafting, or biking, or hiking. We need to carry kayaks, bikes, folded up rafts, their frames, oars, coolers, and associated gear. This requires a sturdy gear-hauler type trailer. Could have bought an open trailer or an enclosed cargo trailer for the purpose, and I was looking hard at cargo trailers.

Also liked that the basecamp has limited amenities. We don't need much, roof... bear resistant walls, locking door, washable rubber floor, little cook top, AC is a plus and we'll add a heater.

As a cargo carrier, it is better built and smarter built, and lighter than any cargo trailer I saw. It may be limited as a "camper" trailer, but that's ok for us for now. Perfect actually. Maybe an Eddie Bauer model later in life. But very happy for now.
Penny
Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Organic Farmer

2008 Base Camp
Nibley , Utah
Oh and I also wanted to say THANK YOU for the warm welcome. What a nice bunch of folks you are.....
Penny
Old 08-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
congratulations! I know that basecamps have a limited audience but I think they are totally cool. Please show us photos of yours when you get a chance!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
aloha , Oregon
Congrats on the basecamp. You will have to give an update after the first couple camping trips with it. It took us a little to get used to ours, but now we have everything pretty much down to a science in dealing with it.
squashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Welcome!

Hi First Frost,

Here's to many happy days in your Basecamp enjoying the great outdoors. We've seen one in our neighborhood and I should stop to speak to the owner. When we visited the Airstream factory a few years ago the Basecamp with still in production. They are really cool looking and seem to be quite functional.

Welcome and best wishes.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Las Vegas , Nevada
congrats! on the "basecamp" is a great unit, sadly we have to look for a new home for ours; the family is growing so no more room for all of us......
lokomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #11

Cocoa beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomonkey
congrats! on the "basecamp" is a great unit, sadly we have to look for a new home for ours; the family is growing so no more room for all of us......
I am looking at Basecamps and would be interested in getting info on your unit.
Hoon Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
We're expecting baby #1 in a few weeks, and went from a Basecamp to a 22 foot CCD...

It was a lot of fun, sometimes a pain in the @ss, but it was like being a rock star when you towed it anywhere... Everyone wants to see inside, ask about it, comment on it...

Going to pick up my new trailer next week...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:42 PM   #13

2024 20' Basecamp
Bragg Creek , Alberta
I am buying 2024 Basecamp 20x, and I am not the normal person buying a Basecamp because I 77 yrs old and my wife is 70.
We have a big motorhome for years and now we want to go places that motorhome can not go.
The average age for Basecamp is 45-55, so corporate is very interested in have we will like. The figures are from Airstream Dir of sales, We live in the woods and in the mountains so we know what be in wild is like and we love it.
Apr 22 is the big day. Montana is good place to buy Basecamps.
Look forward to part of this forum and who to run into some of you people in future.
Lordrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basecamp