Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
Honest Recommendation Please

OK, I have read all the threads about the issues, the legs, the fridge, the leaks, etc. etc. etc. (Yul Brynner joke). The Basecamp is just such a great fit for the type of camping I do, and while I'd rather not have to fit in the wet bath, I could for the $$$ I would save over the 22.

So honestly, would you recommend a Basecamp purchase knowing everything you know today? Would you recommend later, after more issues get fixed? Would you recommend staying far away no matter what? I know there are some of you that would say absolutely not. There are also others that don't speak up much and may have other feedback.

Thanks for your feedback.
camperguy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would *not* buy the Basecamp because it's "what I can afford". There are other Airstreams to look at. I also would not buy it just because "I'd have an Airstream". There are other companies that make travel trailers. I would buy it because it's the one that fits what I want to do. I'd only make that decision after I had looked very carefully (= spent hours in) various models.

The big open question on the Basecamp is the fridge. You are taking a risk there. My guess is that they will straighten it out by next spring when your camping will start on a regular basis.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I would *not* buy the Basecamp because it's "what I can afford". There are other Airstreams to look at. I also would not buy it just because "I'd have an Airstream". There are other companies that make travel trailers. I would buy it because it's the one that fits what I want to do. I'd only make that decision after I had looked very carefully (= spent hours in) various models.

The big open question on the Basecamp is the fridge. You are taking a risk there. My guess is that they will straighten it out by next spring when your camping will start on a regular basis.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

So that's one in the wait till they get it worked out camp.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperguy58 View Post
Thanks Bob,

So that's one in the wait till they get it worked out camp.
Hi

Only if you have spent some major time looking at the very good alternatives .... I think that the Basecamp-ish part of the market has a number of very good options in it.

The gotcha with waiting is that it will be a year or two before you really *know* that it's all taken care of. That's a crazy long time to sit on the sidelines when you could be camping.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
OK, I have read all the threads about the issues, the legs, the fridge, the leaks, etc. etc. etc. (Yul Brynner joke). The Basecamp is just such a great fit for the type of camping I do, and while I'd rather not have to fit in the wet bath, I could for the $$$ I would save over the 22.

So honestly, would you recommend a Basecamp purchase knowing everything you know today? Would you recommend later, after more issues get fixed? Would you recommend staying far away no matter what? I know there are some of you that would say absolutely not. There are also others that don't speak up much and may have other feedback.

I looked at campers for 5+ years ... I looked at every camper out there. I love the Basecamp, it has room for my two 100# dogs, and I thought AS was top of the class. I've been terribly frustrated with the lack of quality control and all the problems, but I do believe that it will all get ironed out eventually. What I would recommend it this ... I now wish I'd financed mine instead of paying for it. If I become too frustrated and want to sell it, I'll never get my money back. So, I recommend, if you decide on one, finance it ... then if you still love it after the first year, pay it off, if you want to. I never dreamed this camper would have so many problems! I've owned mine almost 9 months; truly my fault for not taking it out yet, but I hate summer and my dogs are black, double-coated Bernese, so summer camping wasn't my desire. I loved the heated underbelly for colder weather camping. Not long after I got it, the axle was recalled. Then my bathroom door seal was faulty ... twice ... now the refrigerator .. my dogs eat a frozen raw diet. Still, it's the perfect camper for me.
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post
I looked at campers for 5+ years ... I looked at every camper out there. I love the Basecamp, it has room for my two 100# dogs, and I thought AS was top of the class. I've been terribly frustrated with the lack of quality control and all the problems, but I do believe that it will all get ironed out eventually. What I would recommend it this ... I now wish I'd financed mine instead of paying for it. If I become too frustrated and want to sell it, I'll never get my money back. So, I recommend, if you decide on one, finance it ... then if you still love it after the first year, pay it off, if you want to. I never dreamed this camper would have so many problems! I've owned mine almost 9 months; truly my fault for not taking it out yet, but I hate summer and my dogs are black, double-coated Bernese, so summer camping wasn't my desire. I loved the heated underbelly for colder weather camping. Not long after I got it, the axle was recalled. Then my bathroom door seal was faulty ... twice ... now the refrigerator .. my dogs eat a frozen raw diet. Still, it's the perfect camper for me.
Thank you Gail,

I appreciate your feedback. Hope you get everything ironed out soon so you and your pups can get out there.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hermon , Maine
We did trailer searches for two years. We wavered back and forth on what we needed. Tenters for many years, then a pop up. We knew what we didn't want: anything requiring setup. That eliminated the Aliner.
I wanted a decent place to sit and play cards. That was the T@G
The bathroom? Conundrum. We had never had one before....that was a maybe.

Off road? Yes, we thought. So, we were looking closely at the T@B Outback. But we're both about 5'9 and the front was awful cramped and the shower (if we got a shower) had no room.

The tow vehicle was another consideration. Anything we bought also needed to go to work with me-so nothing too huge. We bought a Chevy Colorado-which eliminated truck campers and anything too large.

Why the BC? It has ground clearance and a back door. Our present boats won't fit, but a couple of e bikes (we have senior knees) will. The galley doesn't get used much, but we just had a rainy evening and that was nice.
Don't discount the utility of having a bathroom in the middle of a rainy night! I never will again.

Two things I don't like:
1. When the bed is set up, we're stuck together, even if one of us can't sleep. I'd love a separate seating area. (maybe another trailer after I retire).
2. The stupid short legs. We haven't had the refrigerator problems, but those short table legs are annoying as hell.

And that was our journey.
Kahaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We are in the process of down-sizing to do less long-term destination camping (some 1500 nights the last eight years) and much more nimble travel. The Basecamp is very close to what we have in mind.

With one exception mentioned above; the bed and sitting areas are the same. Ideally we would have separate sitting and sleeping. Like we had in our VW Camper vans that we traveled with for 35 years, but at this time in our lives we want a bathroom.

So the issue for us with tiny, nimble campers is separate seating/sleeping and a bathroom on board.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:30 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hermon , Maine
[QUOTE

So the issue for us with tiny, nimble campers is separate seating/sleeping and a bathroom on board.[/QUOTE]

Now, that's familiar! We decided, since we generally have an outside area set up with seats, that we could live with it.
Kahaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahaz View Post
[QUOTE

So the issue for us with tiny, nimble campers is separate seating/sleeping and a bathroom on board.
Now, that's familiar! We decided, since we generally have an outside area set up with seats, that we could live with it.[/QUOTE]

Right, and you could leave the roadside bed down and the short legs installed (for singles use) while still having access to the storage under the curbside bench. Cooking inside is convenient, but I grill dinner most nights camping and always eat outside.

Sounds like at least a few of you have not had issues with the refrigerator.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Pushing 7,500 miles this summer. Our fridge experience has been well documented. The short legs get constant weight through rolling around while sleeping, so I'm not surprised that getting stuck is an issue. I use a strap wrench.

The axle recall was a positive. More ground clearance was a welcome addition.

This is the best towing trailer I have ever experienced. I use a Prodigy P3 and have had our share of sudden traffic slowdowns on downhill curves. Could not expect to have better towing/handling.

Yes, the bed/seating area is one or the other, but so what? It's not like we can't take 10 minutes to change things over.

All the systems work (fridge even works at <78-80 degrees ambient temp). The Truma is surprisingly easy and efficient. We stopped setting the water heater to "Hot"; don't need it. "Eco" gives all the hot water we want.

The cabin heater is very controllable. The A/C cools well in excess of 100 degrees outside. It is pretty loud, but it sits right above you as you sleep. We have gotton used to it the few times we had it on to sleep.

The stabilizers keep the trailer from wobbling but I don't like using the crank. I replaced it with a fitting and a small electric drill. Same with the spare tire tool that came with the Basecamp.

The fridge is a constant thorn, but it long ago factored out of our trip planning. We have a reliable Pelican cooler in the back of the Jeep for warm camping trips. When it's cool, we actually have a fridge to use,

If you like privacy in a campground, you won't get it with a Basecamp. We have people tracking us down as soon as we drive in. All the "bad resale value" comments here from people who don't own Basecamps but are pissed at AS for releasing the BC with unresolved issues such as the axle and the fridge are meaningless. One because they have no real experience with the Basecamp other than what they read, and two, because fridge aside, it performs as advertised and well beyond, in our experience. Any RV that attracts a crowd everywhere it goes has the kind of appeal that translates to resale value. This is no Pontiac Aztek.

No lasting regrets. The fridge thing will be fixed by AS one way or another.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Magnolia , Texas
I was glad to see this thread, thanks for asking the question! We are so excited, as we will be picking up our Basecamp on Saturday. I, like you, read and re-read all the forums, and I have looked at all of the small trailers that I had access to in our RV shows for the last two years. We decided on the Basecamp because we wanted a small trailer, and I wanted something that I felt comfortable traveling alone with, as I attend dog shows without my husband. He wanted something that he felt comfortable to stand up in. It also appealed to me because frankly, it is an Airstream, which is a long held dream of mine to own one. We are getting a 2018, and I am sure that the fridge problems will be sorted out, or they can be managed by the Yeti that I already carry to the shows, until a permanent fix can be found.
RioTravln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
We picked up our '17 BC a little over a month ago and have been able to use it on 3 weekend trips. So far we absolutely love it. Other than the fridge, which is being addressed now, all of the other recalls were already taken care of when we took ownership. Thanks to these forums I was able to do a pretty thorough job of going over the trailer during the orientation and ask educated questions.

If you're looking at an '18 then I'm guessing you have less to worry about than we did. It's a relatively new design and will have some design issues to sort out but Airstream retains the highest resale value for a reason. I have faith that they will work through the issues and do right by us. An example of this is extending the warranty by a year.
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Wisconsin
Quote:

Love my Basecamp. Easy to tow with a traditional hitch on a fuel efficient smaller truck (Ridgeline). I can park it just about anywhere. I can grab it and go so much easier than anything else. Daytrips can be an awesome adventure. And I can park it in my garage. Compromises? Yes, and every trailer has some form of compromise (in the eyes of the beholder). All-in-all, a solid choice for me.
Twitterpated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
Thank you all and please, keep the comments coming. I had expected that there were some satisfied owners out there, and I also think the notion of being realistic with what you are getting is a good one.

Eager to hear more from other BC owners.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
I've never seen a Basecamp on the road.

Let me start out by saying "I do not own a BC nor do I have any experience with either the coach itself or anyone who owns one. With that said....I live in a " heavy tourist mecca" that should be a "magnet" for BC owners. A Montana resident smack dab between two of the most popular national parks on the planet.....Yellowstone and Glacier NP. Like many of the literally "millions" who come to Montana and the surrounding state to visit these parks,I travel and camp a great deal in my 22FB Sport. By the way this not an attempt to persuade you to go that direction.

In several miles of travel this summer I've not seen a single Basecamp in any of the several campgrounds that I've camped in. Furthermore, I travel I90 almost on a daily basis. The stretch I travel is awash in hundreds of different motorhomes, 5th wheels, every size and year imaginable Airstreams. Even dozens of new ones being transported on the back of trucks and trailers to dealers .

The point I'm trying to make is the "market" apparently isn't ready for the Basecamp. Yes, there may be a few satisfied owners , but the obvious lack of BCamps in an area that would embrace potential BCamp owners is totally void.

In my opinnion, if the BCamp is the best fit for you, the current state of that market sez' "wait", "wait until it becomes a viable option". And...don't buy a used one.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
It depends on what your needs are

I would heartily recommend the Basecamp if your requirements are similar to mine. I traveled with my family as a teenager in many different brands of travel trailer. We traveled all over the US. There were issues with all of them, including the last one we had, an Airstream. It was definitely higher in quality than the others but occasionally had issues that had to be fixed by the dealer. After I was on my own in my 20's, I discovered backpacking and never looked back. I never liked the population density of campgrounds and the attendant people issues that come with it. I camped in a tent for most of my adult life up until recently. I retired two years ago and also started going to Bluegrass festivals. I have to travel to see my kids. So, to save on motel rooms and camp, I started looking at campers. The Basecamp was everything I wanted. I mountain bike and still backpack and can do both activities on one trip. I use the Basecamp as a basecamp. Backpack a few days, return, and then mountain bike. I am thinking about buying another kayak (sold my old one several years ago) and that will fit nicely in the trailer. I can do all three activities in one trip with this trailer! Yes, I had the axle recall, bathroom door, and fridge issues but had them all fixed in one fell swoop at the dealer and it was between trips, so it didn't put a crimp in my plans. I knew there would be problems as an "early adopter", but I didn't want to give up any camping time. I've been on five trips this summer and had a blast. I've done solo trips as well as trips with friends. This is "glamping" to me, compared to some of the rugged backpacking trips I've done. I just returned from a weekend trip to Nashville and it was perfect for that. Stayed in a KOA near Opryland and shuttled downtown for the music. Campground was clean and nice. Spent much less than I would have staying in motels and I just would rather camp. I am totally satisfied with my purchase, except for those damned short table legs! I'll find a fix, eventually.
AThiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
It's more $$$, but have you looked at an Ollie?
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Franklin , Wisconsin
We took delivery of our 2018 Basecamp just over six weeks ago. We absolutely feel in love with it when we first started looking in February. We bought a Honda Ridgeline in anticipation of later purchasing a Basecamp. Then all the issues came up.
S.Duckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Franklin , Wisconsin
Sorry. I hit send!

Anyway, we read about all of the issues. We tried fitting ourselves into a 19 International. And we soon found out that that model would soon be discontinued. We then sat down and really did the math on the towing capacity of our new truck( bought to tow a Basecamp). The 19 International would be at our truck's limit. And it would be too big to pick up at a moment's notice. We did not like the fit and finish of either of the Sport models.

Dejected about the 19 not working out, I called our dealer and found out that they were expecting a 2018 Basecamp to be delivered that week.
S.Duckling is offline   Reply With Quote