Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Buy an Oliver if you want a small low maintenance trailer.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Chicago , Illinois
Too bad there has been so much attrition at AS they forgot what makes an AS an AS. To me the horse trailer on the pic is closer than the aluminum box it is compared to. Think.about riveted alumimim inside and out with an aluminim frame assembled as a monocoque structure with the frame, and the incorporation of torque-flex axels since the 1960s. That is an Airstream. All of the appliances and conveniences inside are the same as any other trailer. No better no worse. Our 1972 is as stated by others- solid, easy to tow,.no leaks, beautiful and always a pleasure. Guess that is because it IS an Airstream (despite some early attempts by owner Beatrice to screw it up to save a few bucks).

Sent from my SM-G900T using Airstream Forums mobile app
open01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
More problems I forgot to mention in my earlier post: the roof leaked from day one and it took 3 months to get an appt for repairs and two trips back to get all the leaks fixed. Meanwhile, I used piles of towels scattered from the bedroom to the dinette to soak up the water every time it rained. The door keeps falling out of alignment and suddenly the lock won’t work so I have to take it back in for adjustments but it’s alredy there for the other problems so at least that’s not a special trip.
TxTravelsUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Wisconsin
Had It With My Basecamp

Dealer broke my thermistor while doing my refrigerator upgrade. My refrigerator worked perfectly and did not need the upgrade but we caved and tried it. In all honesty, my Basecamp came from Airstream darn near perfect (a few little bugs) and my dealer always seems to cause collateral damage when fixing other issues. I’m always in the shop not because of Jackson Center but my dealer.
Twitterpated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #45
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
If the dealer is causing more problems than solving problems then I would suggest that you not return to that dealer. Take your money elsewhere and eventually he will shut down. I know, that isn’t alway very practical but if there is any other option at all I would seriously go somewhere else. I had to have some work done on my 2017 Classic and took it up to Ohio from Florida in March in the snow and cold because I have heard so many complaints about the dealers service that I just bypassed a half a dozen dealers between my home and JC.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Tom. My first sentence said workers AREN'T... aren't is a contraction for are not.

The point is that today today's youth did not grow up in hard times. Today 25 year olds commonly live with parents, and are not real grownups. Mom gets sick, dad becomes disabled, that starts changing fast.

Airstream and every other company has to hire and train the gen-x they get. They do good marketing to.customers, but based on buyer dissatisfactiom, they are not doing a good job inspirimg workers to keep the promlse of quality they advertise.

If a post seems bitchy at first glance, is rereading it before responding that onerous?

I am done. Self imposed 10 day silence.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
At 45 I am Gen x and take offense to your post. If you want to see some real snow flakes your are going to have to look past Gen x, and y. The millennial`s should be the backbone of our labor pool but they are the ones that are living at home with mom and dad refusing to work or get out of bed for that matter. The real dilemma here is why damn near all companies are marketing so heavily to them. At 45 I don't understand 80% of the commercials on the TV anymore and it's not going to get any better. Saddest part of all it is the fact that younger generations problems are directly tied to the behaviors and instructions of their parents. So I'll blame all of the baby boomers.......
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Wisconsin
Looking to go to Airstream of Chicago for further work. I was going to pick up my refrigerator upgrade parts from Ewald and go to Chicago for the work but Ewald begged me to give them one more chance to make things right and earn my back my trust. Well, I guess Ewald fell short on their very last try to make things right and build trust.
Twitterpated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:21 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasvette View Post
Could you tell me where the vendor is for the Oliver trailers? Last word I got from them it was too far to consider, at least for us. Thanks in advance.
Oliver does not have dealers. You must buy direct from the factory, just like Casita, Escape and Scamp.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:31 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
hmmmmmmm

what a sad thing.......hard earned money wasted !
airstream quality control is terrible, all about how many units they
can get out the door in a month !

big numbers game....so much for enjoying a few nice camping trips
with zero problems, its such a nice product !
my 2 cents
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:02 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I'm in the "I love my Airstream but will never buy another one" camp.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:24 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbox View Post
Interesting. We took our AS International to Jackson Center and when we got it back the HDMI cable was broken, one drawer wouldn't shut, and the channel trim on the pantry door was missing. We just ordered the parts and fixed it ourselves.
Tinbox, My pantry door channel trim is also missing when I took delivery, and it was from the factory either by design or by worker negligence. I never could not decide which was the best explanation to choose. Glad you you fixed it, and provided my answer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
Wow ! Paula
Workers are lazy and stupid!
This site has turned into a total
Bitch Fest!
Loaded with wordsmiths that write scathing
bullshit about hardworking people in Jackson Center.
Please ,if your unhappy with your airstream sell it. It’s propably worth what you paid for it. Buy a box trailer and be gone.
My 23 fb international is darn near perfect.
Nothing like it on the planet!
Just please quit trashing hardworking salt of the earth folk in Jackson Center
Tom

Tom...what flavor do you enjoy most. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Omaha , Nebraska
Nest issues update

Well now the dealer tells me the reason both of our batteries went dead in the middle of our vacation is because the converter box is faulty and quit working, causing our 2015 Honda Pilot to blow the trailer charging fuse; we were without power for 3 days until the dealer opened Monday morning. We were supposed to be home tomorrow, looks like we are spending 4th of July driving home, and my husband will miss 2 more days of work. Totally had it! This Nest is going to be driven back to the factory, they will be lucky if I don't put a big sign with a list of all the problems we have had with it on all sides while we travel home through 6+ states!
Beboplu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sorry for your troubles! Please see the new replies to your similar comment in the Nest thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f546...et-181181.html

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beboplu View Post
they will be lucky if I don't put a big sign with a list of all the problems we have had with it on all sides while we travel home through 6+ states!
I couldn't help but remember this story: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/57...ebuild-problem

It seems that the only way Airstream will improve is if customers actually demand it, I am not sure how to go about that in any meaningful way. They obviously don't care about the warranty expenses, so perhaps there is a path to sue for loss of use and mental anguish. It is for sure that we all buy these to gain relaxation and comfort, and yet it seems many get something entirely different.

With all of the "Why Airstream" things they cover, it is obvious that they are claiming to sell one thing while not delivering that consistently to customers. https://www.airstream.com/why-airstream/
Quote:
An obsessive attention to detail characterized Airstream’s earlier years – a persistence that endures still today. Manufacturing utilizes innovative practices and the highest quality components, resulting in a product that stands the test of time – and anything else you put through it.
It is truly disheartening to see so many people have issues. While I realize that we only see the ones that do have issues, and not everyone that has a good experience...it is the fact that they fail to resolve the issues adequately when they do occur. The problems are entirely within control of AS in how they respond and address problems...but instead they just extend the warranty, which really is to make up for the overworked dealer network that is spending time doing QA for the factory and it may actually take you 3 years of backed up dealer scheduling to address the problems created by the AS factory.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #56
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Beboplu,

We are glad to hear that you have been in contact with Chris from Airstream's Technical support team and that you have had some repairs fixed and they are working with you to set up an appointment for the fiberglass repairs. Please don't hesitate to reach out for additional assistance.

Thank you.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #57
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Beboplu,

We are glad to hear that you have been in contact with Chris from Airstream's Technical support team and that you have had some repairs fixed and they are working with you to set up an appointment for the fiberglass repairs. Please don't hesitate to reach out for additional assistance.

Thank you.
Seriously? I have not heard from Chris in days, and have sent several email updates. The fiberglass is not a simple repair. I am not going to accept anything less than an unblemished replacement or a refund. This trailer is so defective its ridiculous. Im not even sure I want another one. Repairing the fiberglass is not going to be a long term fix. Fixing the leaking window does not fix the damage already done with water that leaked in between the walls and fiberglass shell, causing the fabric walls to bubble up. Delamination and mold are now an issue.The power converter failing due to being defective left us without power for 3 days to use even the fan to cool the trailer when we were traveling with a 15 year old miniature dachshund and an 18 year old bird. I am so disgusted with this product and Airstream right now! I am hitching this nightmare up, putting signs all over it not to buy this messed up p.o.s. and driving the 11 hours to bring it back to Jackson Center this weekend, be there bright and early Monday morning and somebody better be ready to make it right!
Beboplu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I an parked next to an A-frame trailer on one side and a Ford van on the other. The A-frame is not an Aliner, and forgot the brand already. More room than the van, basic setup 5 min. And when they hitch to leave they can pull the trailer to line up over the ball.

12K New. I COULD afford to hire a cleaning service to detail it after every trip.
Eddie is paid for, but could use a roadside awning, and the 13.5 A/C? In freakin' Florida? $12k may be cheap conpared to A/S maintenance over 5 years.

I am buying a small home base cottage in Florida. After 3 Airstreams, am I done?

Slipping fo sure.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:22 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Omaha , Nebraska
In Jackson Center, Nest failed again!!!

Drove almost 800 miles Friday and all day Saturday, worst roads ever in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio, bumpy, uneven, orange barrells and reduced speeds in construction zones 75% of the way, took us a good 3-4 hours longer than expected, got about 17 miles from Jackson Center, stopped at a self service car wash to wash the bugs off the Honda Pilot and Nest trailer, before coming to Terraport at Airstream in Jackson Center, opened the back door of the Nest to get paper towels out to dry the windows, and surprise, surprise!! The friggin bathroom door screws fell out of it's hinges and the door slammed to the floor, banging up the lovely Handcrafted Italian Lite-Ply Laminated Interior Cabinetry on it's way down. Now mind you, we were flabbergasted, because we had not even opened the bathroom door the whole trip from Omaha, because we had dumped the combo black/gray tank before heading out here, and stopped at rest areas and gas stations all along the way, because we are so fed up with the shoddy construction of this trailer, that we have no intention of bringing it back home with us, so cleaned it out in preparation. Upon inspecting the door hinge, we saw that there were about 4 out of the 9 that weren't even screwed in to anything, missed the door frame entirely, and so the only thing we can figure is that the bad roads on the Interstates coming here must have shook loose those screws and caused the door to fall off? Oh, and on the way here stopped to sleep at a rest area, and when we went to pull the step down to come in the trailer, the round screw type thing that holds in the right side fell out, and luckily, I found it on the ground as well as the washer and nut that holds it in, and was able to put it back together. At this point, we wouldn't be surprised if the whole damn trailer fell apart on the highway!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_214114.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	316238   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_234645.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	316239  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_234630.jpg