Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #1

Dillon , Colorado
Ford Escape tow a Basecamp

Anyone towing a 16 foot basecamp with a Ford Escape? Currently own 2011 Ford Escape AWD with V-6/240 hp, rated by Ford at max towing weight of 3500 lbs.
Thanks.
P3pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3pilot View Post
Anyone towing a 16 foot basecamp with a Ford Escape? Currently own 2011 Ford Escape AWD with V-6/240 hp, rated by Ford at max towing weight of 3500 lbs.
Thanks.
I hope not. The unloaded tongue weight on my BC is 420 lbs; well in excess of the 350 max tongue weight rated by Ford. Mine travels anywhere between 420 and 470 lbs.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Check out the link: https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/contact/
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Etrailer sells bolt on receivers rated for 500 lbs or more tongue weight for about $150. A brake controller and proper wiring are needed, but apart from that I’d expect an Escape to make a decent tow vehicle. Wheelbase is short, but so is the rear overhang. I’ve driven a few and found them to be stable and decent handling. Stick with the 2.0 turbo though. The smaller engine will need constant boost to even pull a Basecamp at highway speed.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Another comment - you will need a weight distributing hitch. Do a little digging on this forum - Andrew T has explained how to connect the chains to the trailer.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
gin
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
La Quinta , California
Towing with 2012 escape limited

I have towed my basecamp with my 2012 escape limited with the 3liter v6.. installed hitch and ebrake electronics. Not so hard. Its OK for flat and short runs. A bit hard on long grades. V6 winds up to 4500+ rpms.

Handling seems OK in the wind.
Windy roads OK too.

I have recently switched to a 2008 jeep grand cherokee, 5.7liter hemi with factory tow package. Pulls a basecamp nicely.

I think the escape with v6 is challenged some when pulling a basecamp. Short runs, non-mountain driving would be OK.
gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
tongue weight will be an issue - while the FE could tow the BC not sure about axle and hitch receiver capability. IMHO you would be wise to contact FORD (not just talk to a dealer) - do your "due diligence" research, there is a lot involved to marry a TW to any AS.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
With respect to the hitch that eTrailer sells, there is more involved. They provide the common “weakest link” caution when matching the hitch up with the Escape. Here is their reply to a question about whether the hitch will allow towing greater than factory spec rating.

“The Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver part # 75751 is Class III hitch with a 2" receiver tube opening. It has a maximum gross trailer weight (GTW) rating of 4,500 lbs and maximum tongue weight (TW) rating of 675 lbs. While using a weight distribution system with this hitch, your GTW increase from 4,500 lbs to 5,250 lbs but the tongue weight capacity remains the same.

The above figures are accurate and taken directly from Draw-Tite. However, although the hitch is rated at 4,500 lbs GTW and 675 TW, the vehcile is likely not. Almost all of our trailer hitch receivers are rated well beyond the capabilities of the vehcile. Both the vehcile and hitch will have ratings for max GTW/TW however, the lower of the two ratings will be your limiting factor.”

There ain’t no free lunch.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
What I did with a search for a good TV: I did a good research for a small SUV or Crossover appropriate to tow a 3500 lb popup. Ford informed me that Explorer with V6 with factory installed package can tow up to 5,000 lbs but without the factory installed tow package, the max tow weight would be 2000 lbs even with V6 engine. The tow package consist "tow" button, wider radiator, engine & tranny cooler with sway control.

Now Escape is considerably smaller. I had originally thought I would buy an Escape but did not because from the research, the Escape would not be a good TV to tow 3500 lbs popup.

I also discovered that if I did DIY hitch, engine/tranny cooler myself, the max tow weight for the Explorer would still be 2000lbs.

I sold my popup and bought AS Sport Bambi 16 because of the limitation of safe towing . It is just a starter AS and I will move up after I buy an Expedition.

I hope you would do the same.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #10
lookingin

Currently Looking...
Golden , Colorado
Tow Vehicle Considerations

"I also discovered that if I did DIY hitch, engine/tranny cooler myself, the max tow weight for the Explorer would still be 2000lbs"

How is it possible that these improvements keep the tow capacities the same, is this from Ford?
lookingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingin View Post
"I also discovered that if I did DIY hitch, engine/tranny cooler myself, the max tow weight for the Explorer would still be 2000lbs"

How is it possible that these improvements keep the tow capacities the same, is this from Ford?
You can increase some capacities by doing modifications, generally, but you can't change the original factory rating. The manufacturer isn't going to rerate an owner-modified vehicle.

I wouldn't worry at all about towing a Basecamp with the OP's Escape. A 3500 lb tongue weight limit is arbitrary, and is because of either the original receiver strength, or a concern for axle loads. I would look at installing an aftermarket hitch to address the tongue weight issue, and I would ensure that I did not exceed the axle weight ratings. Problem solved.

240 hp is plenty of power. That is the same as many heavier vehicles that are routinely towing 7000 lbs comfortably.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingin View Post

The DIY tow package does NOT include wider radiation, tow button that has features for transmission and suspension, and finally the suspension for towing.

The shortcut DIY hitch installation does not really work. I learned that in the hard way with my previous Explorer Sport.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 07-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
You can increase some capacities by doing modifications, generally, but you can't change the original factory rating. The manufacturer isn't going to rerate an owner-modified vehicle.

I wouldn't worry at all about towing a Basecamp with the OP's Escape. A 3500 lb tongue weight limit is arbitrary, and is because of either the original receiver strength, or a concern for axle loads. I would look at installing an aftermarket hitch to address the tongue weight issue, and I would ensure that I did not exceed the axle weight ratings. Problem solved.

240 hp is plenty of power. That is the same as many heavier vehicles that are routinely towing 7000 lbs comfortably.
3500 tongue weight limit????? don't you mean 350 lbs tongue weight limit?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 07-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
FYI: I would not buy a 22 ft AS Sport which weights 4600 lbs fully loaded even though my Explorer can tow up to 5000lbs. Have to add wife, dog, food, firewood, water weight which would go over the weight limit anyway. Gonna need to get me an Expedition for that 22 footer.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 07-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #15
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
3500 tongue weight limit????? don't you mean 350 lbs tongue weight limit?
Actually, I meant a 3500 lb tow rating/350 lb tongue weight limit.

Thanks for catching it.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:39 AM   #16
gin
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
La Quinta , California
Towing with 2012 escape limited, more

After reading the other posts, a few more comments.
I have used the 2012 escape 3l V6 for several trips.
Including coastal trip in California.
Also a trip to Mammoth from LA.

I installed the Curtmfg 13650 class 3 hitch.
Plenty of strength and not so hard to install.

I installed the Tekonsha 90885C ebrake controller.'
I already had a 5pin harness. needed more wiring for the 7pin ebrake.
Install was a bit hard, had to run wires up to the battery.
Works well.

Did not consider a weight distribution hitch. Needed to get an adjustable height ball to dial in the level of the BC. but the rear of the escape did sag a bit more than I like. but was OK. could not load much in the escape.

I still recommend going to the TV with a V8 and factory tow setup. Long run a better choice.
gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:02 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
San Diego , California
Towing Basecamp with Toyota Highlander

Hi. . .we tow our Basecamp with a Toyota Highlander, factory equipped for towing (5000 lb rating, 500 lb tongue weight). We also have a weight-distribution hitch (Equalizer) on our Basecamp. My experience is that we can tell when the trailer is attached to the car, in terms of acceleration and power in particular. I would not recommend that you try towing the Basecamp with a car that is only rated to handle 3500 lb.
seshields is offline   Reply With Quote