Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Great narrative of your first outing! Sound slike you'll have lots of fun times ahead (especially after the world starts to get used to the Base Camps out there). Welcome to the forums.
George
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinto
Good info on the BC as a MC hauler. I've loaded, but not yet traveled, a Harley Road King. I was uncomfortable with the loading ramps (rated at 400 lbs each on the packaging) so bought a set-up rated at 1500lbs on the wheel tack with a runner on each side so I could "walk" it in under low power. Length and width was not problem. Had to remove the windshield to clear the door opening. The bike weights in about 800-900lbs...lots of chrome! I'm thinking a adding a removable wheel chock to facilitate ease of loading while I secure with tie downs.

Also had rear leaks and seal damage. I actual requested the factory to give guideance to the dealer as the dealer had little experience with the BC. Had a small leak around the AC unit as well. Hopefully, the dealer now has it right. With new production of anything, this doesn't surprise me, as long as they get it resolved to the customers satisfaction.

Don't have any loading pics, but am planning a trip to Austin Texas next month with the Harley on board and will try to post then.

I'll have to gauge the water issue as we have always tent camped, so this has still got to be a big step up. Perfect for me and my wife as we explore new venues.

As always, keep the shiney side up!!!
Martino,

We did not buy the Airstream ramp because we figured it was too weak. We were advised by the dealer and Ben Owen at Airstream that their ramp (2 of them) was appropriate for an ATV, but not for a heavy MC. Jerry's Honda is about 750 lbs. We looked at the one you purchased but opted for another one that can be used in the BC and our pickup truck.

I agree about the new model issues and have nothing but good things to say about Chicago Airstream's response. They seem to want our feedback and are as anxious as we are to learn about any issues and how to resolve them. They listen to our ideas.

I am going to check around the air conditioner today to see if I see "light" around the installation. I know I had dust and dirt in that area, but I was assuming it was from the back leaks. Please keep me posted about the leaks--I will as well. Let's learn from each other!

I really like the idea of a removable wheel chock. That could simplify loading alot. Jerry was loading the motorcycle exactly the way you described and we had to removing the windshield as well. But I had to hold it while he tied it down. That made for some jockeying around in tight spaces. Tips???

The water issuse won't be an issue for people using a campground shower and/or not cooking much (meaning not much dishwashing). I enjoy making compground meals--even baking in a little oven designed for Coleman stoves. (I make killer camp brownies and biscuits!) So I do use some water. I will be very interested in your camping tips as well. We purchased some carabiners for the back poles to hang bags, even finding some huge ones at Home Depot that work on the upper racks.

Happy trails!!

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Cypress , Texas
Caryl

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep posting updates as we learn new and exiting things about the BC as a camper and toy hauler.

I ordered a Bike Pro Quick Release wheel chock today which looks perfect based on size and the basic need to stablize the bike while I tie down. I havn't done a tie down yet...only loaded it once to confirm fit.

You sound like my wife, Meanette, when it comes to campground cooking. It's always been one of our favorite events when camping.

BTW, I know Ben Owen from a previous work life and he has been very helpful through this learning curve.

Will stay in touch.

martinto
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Thanks - I enjoyed your story with my cup of tea this morning

I have loved the look of the Basecamp and it's market reach can infact be endless if marketed right.

I would even see myself when I am Older and having to use a scooter one day to get around.

With a few added comforts many you mentioned it would be a perfect get-a-way.

For the younger and middle age more active crowd with the toys etc - then this is a perfect rugged little "toy" to add to the collection.

The tent extention would be fab for the dogs.

I would love to borrow one for the RSSR as it might be a tad better than my 63 GT tin tent that I will be using

A point to my post....the Air Conditioner.

I would like to add one to the GT and wanted to know the specs on the one supplied with your BC? Is it rugged?, does it cool nice and what is the noise factor like.

Thinking of installing at the back in the bathroom vanity cabinet and venting out the back and putting the drip tube to outside.

I am also looking for something in the frugal price range as I barely have 100 Square Ft to cool - and along with a Fantastic Fan I think I could bare most heat temps.

Thanks
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Thanks - I enjoyed your story with my cup of tea this morning

I have loved the look of the Basecamp and it's market reach can infact be endless if marketed right.

I would even see myself when I am Older and having to use a scooter one day to get around.

With a few added comforts many you mentioned it would be a perfect get-a-way.

For the younger and middle age more active crowd with the toys etc - then this is a perfect rugged little "toy" to add to the collection.

The tent extention would be fab for the dogs.

I would love to borrow one for the RSSR as it might be a tad better than my 63 GT tin tent that I will be using

A point to my post....the Air Conditioner.

I would like to add one to the GT and wanted to know the specs on the one supplied with your BC? Is it rugged?, does it cool nice and what is the noise factor like.

Thinking of installing at the back in the bathroom vanity cabinet and venting out the back and putting the drip tube to outside.

I am also looking for something in the frugal price range as I barely have 100 Square Ft to cool - and along with a Fantastic Fan I think I could bare most heat temps.

Thanks
I am glad you are enjoying the posts. I am too.

The AC is Whirlpool model ACQ058PS and is 5,500 BTUs. It appears to be just a stock, small, energy efficient Whirlpool. It sits on the tongue with the propane tank on a shelf above it. Both are enclosed in a vented, aluminum box that matches the BC. So far, the jarring of the road has not bothered the AC. It works fine. I don't know if this model was adapted for trailer life or not. So far, so good.

We did use the tent extension this weekend in a state park in Illinois. We added a light weight indoor/outdoor carpet to protect the floor as well as a ground cloth (heave plastic) on the outside. Because you enter and exit the BC through the tent, I am certain that the floor will wear out, thus the carpeting to extend its life.

The tent is relatively easy to put up and take down. I still have concerns that it will be leaky around the back window in a rain storm. There is nothing covering the zippers around the window, and I know from experience that uncovered zippers leak in a rainstorm. However, it adds great living space and makes the BC seem quite spacious. We may need to rig a tarp over that window if it rains. I have some ideas on how that can be done.

You mentioned using a scooter at some point. You sure could do that with a BC. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and will soon have my knees replaced so life is fairly painful right now. I love the wide steps and the ease of making the bed up. That was one thing that attracted me to it. Also, I hang gear in bags from the back posts so that I don't have to bend or kneel to get to stuff. I have a stool that I use to sit on to get to gear in the lower front galley storage. So I must say that the BC is really accessible. The main accessibility issue for me is raising the steps from the inside. There needs to be some additional engineering on that. It is hard to pull them up from the inside.

Cheers,
Caryl
Old 05-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinto
Thanks for the feedback. I will keep posting updates as we learn new and exiting things about the BC as a camper and toy hauler.

I ordered a Bike Pro Quick Release wheel chock today which looks perfect based on size and the basic need to stablize the bike while I tie down. I havn't done a tie down yet...only loaded it once to confirm fit.

You sound like my wife, Meanette, when it comes to campground cooking. It's always been one of our favorite events when camping.

BTW, I know Ben Owen from a previous work life and he has been very helpful through this learning curve.

Will stay in touch.

martinto
Martino,

How does the quick release work? Is there a plate that remains on the floor? How will you attach it and seal the floor from leaks?

Caryl
Old 05-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I checked out out a Basecamp yesterday at Middle TN Airstream. What a flexible multifunction set-up! I only wished they existed 20 years ago when I was doing more high intensity camping and backpacking. If Airstream would bring in one of the high-end backpacking tentmakers to consult, they could come up with a leakproof bombproof 4-season tent attachment that would rock.

Y'all have fun and keep the reports coming.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Base Camp Info.

Enjoy your Base Camp saga.It reminds us of our day's with our "Cozy Cruiser" teardrop.We alway's had a crowd and meet lot's of great people.Sound's like even more fun being able to take you bike along.
You should try to stop by the 2007 Moraine View Rally in June.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Caryl - thanks for the info on the AC.

I have degenerative Knee disease as well as osteo arthritis in my ankle - same leg I am down to bone on bone with no articulate cartilage left - all sports related.

I am still of course very mobile but at times the pain can be a bit too much. So I do see a future of one day using them fancy scooters but at least 25- 30 more years. Have an ankle fusion or replacement to look at first. But having had 3 surgeries already (2 knee and 1 ankle) I hope to delay as LONG as possible.

Just drink lots of wine and think and play airstreams all day and I can forget about the pain

Hint from our boating days - candle wax on the zippers they slide easier and repel the water great.

PS does not camping and leaks go hand in hand

Happy Trails in your BC - keep us posted and more pictures - lots more pictures
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
That's for sure! I remember waking up in the mountain tents some collapsed, condensation, wet gear, that IS camping weather, btw. What about a rain fly for the tent extension?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut
Enjoy your Base Camp saga.It reminds us of our day's with our "Cozy Cruiser" teardrop.We alway's had a crowd and meet lot's of great people.Sound's like even more fun being able to take you bike along.
You should try to stop by the 2007 Moraine View Rally in June.
If we can work out the schedule, we will come. I reviewed the forum discussion and it sounds really fun. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll try to find a Darth Vader flag, since folks think it looks like his horse trailer.

Caryl
Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Caryl - thanks for the info on the AC.

I have degenerative Knee disease as well as osteo arthritis in my ankle - same leg I am down to bone on bone with no articulate cartilage left - all sports related.

I am still of course very mobile but at times the pain can be a bit too much. So I do see a future of one day using them fancy scooters but at least 25- 30 more years. Have an ankle fusion or replacement to look at first. But having had 3 surgeries already (2 knee and 1 ankle) I hope to delay as LONG as possible.

Just drink lots of wine and think and play airstreams all day and I can forget about the pain

Hint from our boating days - candle wax on the zippers they slide easier and repel the water great.

Happy Trails in your BC - keep us posted and more pictures - lots more pictures
I will definite try the candle wax. That tent window needs something for sure. I don't do leaks!

We can also trade horror stories on arthritis. I have had 4 hip replacements. RA nd OA are not fun! I have been looking at those Segways where you stand and roll. But I need to walk, walk, walk, so I haven't gone that route yet.

Pictures--yes, some will be coming.

Caryl
Old 05-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Zipper Lube...........

..............and for just about anything else, including drawer slides, hinges, locks, bike and motorcycle chains.

What is this magic elixer you ask???????

DuPont Teflon Multi-purpose Dry lube.

You can get it in a spray or liquid. Lowes usually has it. I use it on almost everything that needs lube. It goes on wet and dries to a non-sticky residue that is oh-so-slippery!! Won't attract dirt or dust either.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Desert camping and water issues.

Hey Caryl,
I am planning a trip to the Southwest. I am trying to decide whether
to bring my 20' Argosy or just camp in the van. It's an 80 hour round trip. Anyway finding water in that area can be difficult. One campground I stayed
at had to truck water in, and they charged for showers by the minute. So bringing water is sometimes the way to go. I would recommend the 6 gallon plastic Jerrycans, with the handle on the side as well as the top. I have
another container that has a faucet on it.
And I think porta potties are very conveniant for short trips and trips when I am alone. Sometimes I use it in the van and sometimes I use it in the bathroom of my trailer. That saves having to deal with finding a dumpsite.
Privacy might be an issue in the base camp. But walking to a bathroom in the middle of the night is also an issue.( IMHO ) Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
Hey Caryl,
I am planning a trip to the Southwest. I am trying to decide whether
to bring my 20' Argosy or just camp in the van. It's an 80 hour round trip. Anyway finding water in that area can be difficult. One campground I stayed
at had to truck water in, and they charged for showers by the minute. So bringing water is sometimes the way to go. I would recommend the 6 gallon plastic Jerrycans, with the handle on the side as well as the top. I have
another container that has a faucet on it.
And I think porta potties are very conveniant for short trips and trips when I am alone. Sometimes I use it in the van and sometimes I use it in the bathroom of my trailer. That saves having to deal with finding a dumpsite.
Privacy might be an issue in the base camp. But walking to a bathroom in the middle of the night is also an issue.( IMHO ) Dave
We didn't have issues with finding water in the campgrounds, but we did purchase water for drinking and coffee making. Local water wasn't sweet! We used to camp in a van in the olden days and are well accustomed to portapotties and spit baths. One could string up a curtain for privacy fairly easily if one wanted to in the BC.

We also carried a jerry can for extra water. The BC has jerry-can-like water containers as standard (they are made in Germany and measure in liters) and I have ordered two more from AS. You line 'em up with the pump in the first one and as you need, just switch the pump to the next one and so forth. Works well.

One of the neat things about the BC is customizing it for your own purposes. It is so flexible.

Caryl
Old 05-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thank You for Posting

And welcome to the Forums. I've seen the Basecamp but not in use. Your account has been really interesting and inspiring. I live in my Airstream, and enjoy taking it on trips when I know I'll be gone for a week or more, but I've skipped one or two weekender activities because my energy was a bit on the low side and hooking and unhooking twice was just more effort than it was worth.

Next time I go past an Airstream dealership, I'll spend a bit more time studying the Basecamp.

Glad to hear you're having so much fun with it and hope your husband can pay it off with the $10 tours!

Paula Ford
Old 05-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl
<snip>The tent is relatively easy to put up and take down. I still have concerns that it will be leaky around the back window in a rain storm. There is nothing covering the zippers around the window, and I know from experience that uncovered zippers leak in a rainstorm. However, it adds great living space and makes the BC seem quite spacious. We may need to rig a tarp over that window if it rains. I have some ideas on how that can be done.
<snip>
I can speak from experience that the back window isn't a problem in the rain, the problem is in the trailer to tent interface - specifically the sides. The tent just won't seal against the sides of the trailer and water finds it's way in. It all dried out well enough, it just pissed me off when we got up to "water in the basement" this morning. Almost as much as the horrible wi-fi at this campground... :-)
bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Bob,

I was sure that back window would leak. glad to hear that it didn't!. Since it points to the heavens and has an uncovered zipper I was sure that it would leak. Good news.

Caryl