Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
First trip in 2019 BC X

Quote:
I am trying to figure out the best way to make a comfortable half bed. Does anyone have any design ideas to make a comfy bed in the back of a BC?

If you are on Facebook, check out the Airstream Basecamp group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/281274692353937/

You may need to search (try ‘bed modification’), but there is a truly ingenious idea for a half bed that leaves room for one table and two seats.
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
I took possession of my 2017 BC in Feb 2017. Here is an incomplete list of problems that I encountered from the first day. I am doing this from memory and likely am missing a few items:
*Leak around roof line, water on counter, 1st night of ownership
*side door flung open under tow first trip out; both locks locked
*cracked back door, was replaced
* recalled axle and 3 tires were replaced
*no lug wrench for the spare
*factory installed solar wasn't hooked up for 5 months
*leaks x3 separate events from the refrigerator compartment (I always worried about the floor rotting as it was in storage during this and the water sat there
* refrigerator was recalled and replaced
*faucet blew off blasting me with hot water
*cap fell off of the sewer hose storage resulting in loss of hose; I never used it again
*front window was destroyed from a rock, no solar rock guards were available:$1500 to replace
* fridge never worked right, whether on or off 30 amp power
*they added fans in the fridge compartment to keep it ventilated and gave me another battery to run them. They were so constantly noisy, people at campgrounds thought I was running a generator. I had to use earplugs to sleep.
*they gave us all a 3rd year of warranty because of all the problems

I cannot believe Airstream continues to make these and put their name on them. I don't believe they'll ever resolve the fridge issues until they move it to the side wall where every other RV has the fridge. That huge propane cover blocks airflow and the roof dips and lets water run right down the front and into the trailer. Oh, and I had to buy small propane tanks because I couldn't lift the full ones back into that enormous hole. We early owners are not whiners, but I didn't buy that trailer to be a beta tester either! I traded it in for a 16' Bambi after a year and I'm so glad to be rid of it.
Maybe all these problems have been worked out for the newer buyers.
Good luck.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
. . .
I don't believe they'll ever resolve the fridge issues until they move it to the side wall where every other RV has the fridge.
. . .
Precisely! Many times this notion has been posted on the Simple Survey thread, yet AS keeps trying to "fix" the cursed thing!

[click on orange arrow to go to this July 2017 Post #75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
The fix here is a total re-design which gets the fridge over to the side of the BC including a flue through the roof IMO.
. . .
Good luck to all BC owners. We had hoped to downsize to one . . . alas . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:08 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Quote:
I took possession of my 2017 BC in Feb 2017. Here is an incomplete list of problems that I encountered from the first day. I am doing this from memory and likely am missing a few items:
*leaks x3 separate events from the refrigerator compartment (I always worried about the floor rotting as it was in storage during this and the water sat there
*cap fell off of the sewer hose storage resulting in loss of hose; I never used it again
*front window was destroyed from a rock, no solar rock guards were available:$1500 to replace
*they added fans in the fridge compartment to keep it ventilated and gave me another battery to run them. They were so constantly noisy, people at campgrounds thought I was running a generator. I had to use earplugs to sleep.

I cannot believe Airstream continues to make these and put their name on them. I don't believe they'll ever resolve the fridge issues until they move it to the side wall where every other RV has the fridge. That huge propane cover blocks airflow and the roof dips and lets water run right down the front and into the trailer. Oh, and I had to buy small propane tanks because I couldn't lift the full ones back into that enormous hole. We early owners are not whiners, but I didn't buy that trailer to be a beta tester either! I traded it in for a 16' Bambi after a year and I'm so glad to be rid of it.
Good luck.
You traded your BC a year ago and your post isn't relevant to the thread. How do you not consider that whining?
trd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #45
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:

Good luck.
Hi Sparkle,

We're very sorry for the issues you have had. If there is anything we can assist with, please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
What does “X” mean? Not heard of that model.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
What does “X” mean? Not heard of that model.
Post #36 here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI just came across this Colonial blog post:
https://www.colonialrv.com/blog/2019...ale-need-know/
. . .
At the bottom of this page: https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/basecamp/features/
Old 08-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
I calibrated my E2 hitch for the proper tongue weight. Wow. What a difference.

No, it's not *necessary*, but now the truck is perfectly level with no hint of swaying. Trailer is perfectly level when hitched (good enough to run the fridge). Worth the $300 for peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180823-190536_Gallery.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	320666  
Old 08-23-2018, 11:48 PM   #49
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd09 View Post
I calibrated my E2 hitch for the proper tongue weight. Wow. What a difference.

No, it's not *necessary*, but now the truck is perfectly level with no hint of swaying. Trailer is perfectly level when hitched (good enough to run the fridge). Worth the $300 for peace of mind.
Amazing how small that trailer makes your truck look. We had a basecamp X at a recent rally and I was surprised how high the sill of the rear door sits.

Looks rugged. Enjoy.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Got a nice spot this weekend
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20180826-152731_Gallery.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	320898  
Old 08-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #51

2017 Basecamp
Falls Church , VA
Looks great.
JTRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:14 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Hey all- Wanted to keep this thread updated with my experience in case others have similar issues.

Trailer is at the dealer getting two warranty items addressed:
-Water was puddled in front of fridge after heavy rain: dealer indicated that upon removing the fridge, they noticed the drain pain was not sealed/seated properly; service reinstalled and sealed
-Interior blinds were becoming unglued: saw this problem on the forum; service removed all blinds and re attached with a spray adhesive and a double sided adhesive

Overall, very minor issues that I'm pleased were addressed without a hitch. Look forward to getting the trailer back and the upcoming season!
Old 12-23-2018, 06:19 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Also, before the end of the season, I decided to make a semi-permanent bed. Didn't use the table often.

-Bought a foam mattress pad and cut to fit (king)
-Covered with a breathable mattress topper (king)

Very comfortable!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20181223-081704_Gallery.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	330169  
Old 12-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
2018 Basecamp
Eden , Utah
We took delivery of our 2019 Basecamp X last weekend; snow and ice prevented us from heading to southern Utah for the Christmas holiday. Hopefully we will get it out next weekend. I am currently designing and building a mountain bike rack for the interior aft area between the benches.
After towing a 35' fifth wheel the Basecamp is barely noticeable behind the truck. Tows straight, no swaying or drift noticed. I need to check the tire pressures after reading the 50psi for both Basecamp models. Since we live in the desert it will be hard to check for leaks, but we bought it primarily to take off road, so a dust test will happen soon.
We tow with a 2018 Ram 3500 Megacab, Cummins diesel with the Aisin transmission. The tongue weight of the Basecamp X was not enough to trigger the automatic leveling system on the truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0831.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	330175  
MTB Basecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:08 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member

Swisher , Iowa
Hi TRD09- thanks for keeping us updated. Had you ever figured out the fridge, or is this just an issue that needs to be lived with? Knowing what you know now about the BC, would you do it again?
Pulling_plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:11 AM   #56
1 Rivet Member

Swisher , Iowa
Hi MTB BC, when you get you MTB rack complete, can you share what you did? I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a BC in spring specifically for MTB trips. Thanks!
Pulling_plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:26 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulling_plug View Post
Hi TRD09- thanks for keeping us updated. Had you ever figured out the fridge, or is this just an issue that needs to be lived with? Knowing what you know now about the BC, would you do it again?
FYI there is a thread which focuses on the BC fridge issues:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

It would appear [IMO] that Airstream has not fixed the design, so that it works in all camping conditions, notably in hot weather with sun beating directly on the front of the Basecamp.

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 12-24-2018, 04:42 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Toronto , Ontario
I will be interested in your dust test. We went on a dirt road for quite a bit and the dust inside was nasty. Figure next time on a dirt road going to tape the doorway at the back with gaffers tape and a big plastic sheet inside. Took two hours to clean the trailer last time. And my pillow case was brown with dust.
Good luck
hawksbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:46 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulling_plug View Post
I haven't had issues with the fridge...but I almost exclusively use it on shore power (and plug it in the night before, travel with ice packs, etc.) As of now, unfortunately, it should be lived with until Airstream releases an updated TSB or fix (unless you plan on tinkering with it yourself).

Would absolutely do it again. Have yet to find a trailer that meets my needs and is built as well as the BC.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:48 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
[QUOTE=MTB Basecamp;2192733]We took delivery of our 2019 Basecamp X last weekend; snow and ice prevented us from heading to southern Utah for the Christmas holiday. Hopefully we will get it out next weekend. I am currently designing and building a mountain bike rack for the interior aft area between the benches.
After towing a 35' fifth wheel the Basecamp is barely noticeable behind the truck. Tows straight, no swaying or drift noticed. I need to check the tire pressures after reading the 50psi for both Basecamp models. Since we live in the desert it will be hard to check for leaks, but we bought it primarily to take off road, so a dust test will happen soon.
We tow with a 2018 Ram 3500 Megacab, Cummins diesel with the Aisin transmission. The tongue weight of the Basecamp X was not enough to trigger the automatic leveling system on the truck.[/QUOTE

Welcome! Sweet setup.