Old 11-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

Allen , Texas
I must have cold air conditioning here in Texas. It just gets way too hot to be able to be comfortable. Base camp has that massive window too, and even with the shades closed off, I know for a fact that down here, thermal heat will pass right through that glass. I've seen it happen on much larger and expensive coaches.

I would also prefer a 3000+ watt generator. After listening to the noisy air conditioning unit on the basecamp demo last week, an inverter/generator humming away will not be a problem.

r1alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #86
wcs
2 Rivet Member

Grayland , Washington
In my climate I rarely have a use for air conditioning. I removed the a/c unit from my Jeep as it was not being used and taking up space.

RV's are poorly insulated from heat and cold. I go into various wilderneses to be outdoors. I doubt I would want go into a remote wilderness just to sit inside a RV all day long with a generator and AC running.

For me dry heat of the desert is actually more comfortable than humid climates where the ambient temperatures are lower. I can see how one would want to rely on AC in climates with temperatures running closer to the ~110's - ~120's+.

wcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
Went for it, paid the deposit on mine, delivery Jan 17,
Crazy !
jz
Red Rock
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

Allen , Texas
Not sure if you guys have seen it but this is a really good hands on review of the basecamp I just found on youtube:
Old 12-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #89
1 Rivet Member

Toronto , Ontario
Nice Video, but that guy could slow down his speech a bit, it's hard to follow him at times because he talks so fast!
Ontario1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
It was good to see a "review" done by people who actually spent a few days in a Basecamp. OTOH, The value of a review from people who admittedly prefer to travel in a much larger Airstream is a bit lost on me.

I.m sure that it's not easy to find folks to do reviews who are the typical demographic for a particular product. But, then again, the reality is that Dirt Bike Magazine does not review choppers. Still, some of their experiences might be helpful to potential buyers.

I do agree about the value of a 12volt cigarette lighter type outlet.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

Allen , Texas
I still want to see a tank flush and I really hope the Airstream team sees this post. Apparantly I'm the only person concerned about this!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
It was good to see a "review" done by people who actually spent a few days in a Basecamp. OTOH, The value of a review from people who admittedly prefer to travel in a much larger Airstream is a bit lost on me.

I.m sure that it's not easy to find folks to do reviews who are the typical demographic for a particular product. But, then again, the reality is that Dirt Bike Magazine does not review choppers. Still, some of their experiences might be helpful to potential buyers.

I do agree about the value of a 12volt cigarette lighter type outlet.

It seems to me that these folks are "the typical demographic" Airstream has in mind: younger folks who towed it with a mid-size TV for a weekend bike camping adventure. I agree with you about their trailer "style" (some might say bias), but they disclosed that and I thought they were quite objective.

Mixed reviews are inevitable, and some who are not the typical demographic are also going to buy Basecamps. The more reviews the better.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
It seems to me that these folks are "the typical demographic" Airstream has in mind: younger folks who towed it with a mid-size TV for a weekend bike camping adventure. I agree with you about their trailer "style" (some might say bias), but they disclosed that and I thought they were quite objective.

Mixed reviews are inevitable, and some who are not the typical demographic are also going to buy Basecamps. The more reviews the better.
Given that the most inflexible element of the target demographic for the Basecamp is a desire or willingness to travel small, I think that the reviewers more appropriately represent a large percentage of typical AS owners; people who want to travel with a fixed bed, storage space for many things and a desire to bring bikes along.

Their camping style or bias, if you will, greatly influences their review. Virtually every comment they made (other than the lack of a 12V cigarette lighter charge port) was a repeat of the many walkthroughs I have seen on YouTube. The parting comment that they preferred a larger more conventional trailer could be seen as a disclosure or could also easily be intrepreted as signaling a serious downside to the Basecamp.

In my view, the review was not as revealing of the trailer as it was of the reviewer's particular preference in camping style.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #94

Currently Looking...
Welland , Ontario
We became fans of the Basecamp the moment we seen on online.
And it's very much likely we'll look at buying one but not until the 2018 camping season.
Here's a few impressions I had on the journey to (for now) pick the Basecamp..

The basecamp fits into our desire for a small, light and easy to tow trailer.
After over a decade of camping in tents, we want to "upgrade" to a trailer.
We just received a small modified custom utility trailer we've starting camping in this past season. Since we have that, we can wait to switch.

One trailer we also like was the Safari Alto.

Back to the basecamp.... We happen to the a exact demographic they're marketing to. Outdoors couple with no kids who mountain bike, kayak and more.
All our trips revolve around a destination to MTB. I will admit, the fact Airstream is really pushing the demographic makes me look at it under a much bigger microscope.

The interesting thing is this falls we took a trip to visit the local dealer which had both a Safari Alto AND a Basecamp. I will admit that when I discovered the price of the Basecamp, I didn't give it much of a chance. I did a quick walk through and was left disappointed. We checked out the Safari Alto and some design features turned it into a deal beaker. Two things stuck out with the Basecamp, storage and the lack of a permanent bed. Last thing I wanted to deal with was a day long of biking, cooking dinner over the fire, having a few beers and thinking about putting the bed together. However, we also walked through a 16 foot Sport and that triggered something...

The Sport made us realize the massive quality difference between Airstream and many other trailers. Another hit was that while the Safari Alto's BASE price felt alright, too many items happened to be options and all of a sudden we crept into Basecamp range.

Back home, I started a ton of Basecamp research which is one thing that lead me to this forum. I started to analyze ever aspect of the trailer to try and figure out if it would work for us. While we can buy some like an R-Pod for nearly half the price... my wife is sold on the Airstream quality. While I certainly see a jump in quality, at the price Airstream is... I felt it needed to be pretty darn near perfect.

We ended up going back to the dealership and spent a really good few hours inside the Basecamp, in and out, around and so on. I sat around just trying to see us and all our gear camping in it.

The size is perfect. The wrap around windows are amazing and those two things are what really pulled us into it. The shower being designed to be water proof is a plus even though I don't believe we'll use it (emergency only). The hose pass through is a great idea to clean the bikes.

Here are some potential issues or complaints.
1) awning. I know the shape make this a design challenge but I really wish it has a standard style awning.
2) storage. I first thought there is no way we'd ever be able to have an organized non messy trailer and have enough room. The funny thing is while Airstream markets this to us Outdoorsy folks, it means we have a ton more crap. After really careful inspection, there are lots of little smart storage features but i'm still not sure if it's enough. We will have to be very careful and minimalistic. My wife keeps saying we can just leave things in the truck.... well that's not the point, everything we need should be easy to get in the trailer... no running around back and forth
3) windows... a few concerns. front windows... what will rocks do to them.
dealer told us it's nothing to be concerned about. I'm not big on the fact not too many windows open. I don't like the mini van setup and more importantly, velcro cloth is what encloses the push out for the window... it doesn't look like a perfect seal... here come the mosquitoes????

I think that's it....
Since we're in no rush.. .we'll see if any price adjustments happen for the second year or slight updates maybe? So far it doesn't look like the "local" dealer has sold anything.
blotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #95
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1alvin View Post
I still want to see a tank flush and I really hope the Airstream team sees this post. Apparantly I'm the only person concerned about this!
A tank flush is hardly a necessity. Never used one on the AS I owned. If the black tank is used properly it is not necessary.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by blotter View Post

Here are some potential issues or complaints.

2) storage. I first thought there is no way we'd ever be able to have an organized non messy trailer and have enough room. The funny thing is while Airstream markets this to us Outdoorsy folks, it means we have a ton more crap. After really careful inspection, there are lots of little smart storage features but i'm still not sure if it's enough. We will have to be very careful and minimalistic. My wife keeps saying we can just leave things in the truck.... well that's not the point, everything we need should be easy to get in the trailer... no running around back and forth
I cannot stress enough how important it is to plan for storage.

Us doing this lead us to choose the unit we have (FWIW, a sport 22).

I recommend you LITERALLY make a list of all the things you will need to have along and figure out how and where they will live.

Do you really want to HAVE to keep things you will USE in the trailer, in the vehicle.

For me that was my big deal. I figured out what i would need in the trailer and made sure there was enough space to store all of that.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

Allen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
A tank flush is hardly a necessity. Never used one on the AS I owned. If the black tank is used properly it is not necessary.
So would this mean one would have to manually rinse out the stinky slinky after a dump? Yum!

All other Airstream models have a flush,,,I was just really curious why they left this feature out with the Basecamp when the Bambi Sport 16 has a combination tank with a flush.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
The slinky gets rinsed with the gray water or with water down the toilet.

xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote