Old 09-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Garland , Texas
How funny.. The sale pending sign on this video has our name on it!! Should be here before Thanksgiving. Can't wait

Old 09-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
How funny.. The sale pending sign on this video has our name on it!! Should be here before Thanksgiving. Can't wait
How exciting... and what a wonderful way to celebrate Thanksgiving!

Looking forward to seeing more photos of your Basecamp and how you use it!

2017 Airstream Basecamp

Old 10-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Airstream Basecamp Relaunched!

Just published, "Airstream Basecamp Relaunched!"

"Airstream Basecamp Relaunched!" is a comprehensive overview of the Airstream Basecamp travel trailer from its inception 10 years ago to its recent makeover and re-emergence.

More robust and loaded with new technology and features, the 2017 Airstream Basecamp is a springboard for outdoor adventures, such as hiking, backpacking, camping in remote and off grid locations, mountain biking and kayaking!

A reminder of the joys of living riveted!

Introducing the new Basecamp
Old 10-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Airstream Basecamp in the news

"After a decade of planning, this month Airstream announced their reboot of the Basecamp trailer."

See what Airstream CEO and President, Bob Wheeler, has to say about the 2017 Airstream Basecamp in the September 26 issue of Outside Interests newsletter:

Airstream News: Basecamp
Old 10-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
is there a good link to something showing how to fit bicycles etc inside? didn't the beds on the old models fold up? I'm not seeing similar on video walk thrus I've watched so far
Old 10-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
is there a good link to something showing how to fit bicycles etc inside? didn't the beds on the old models fold up? I'm not seeing similar on video walk thrus I've watched so far
In the original Basecamp the opposing benches (which convert to a bed) fold up and leave the floor area wide open. The seats on the new Basecamp fold up, but only to provide access to the storage underneath so the open floor area is not increased. Still can get toys in the new one, but fewer/smaller because the rear door and the floor area are not as large as in the original.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
The video "Walk Through 2007 Airstream Basecamp" at 27:40 (Post #3) shows Patrick demonstrating how the beds of the original Basecamp fold up.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #36
wcs
2 Rivet Member

Grayland , Washington
Looks like a great trailer for outdoors, however I think I would require a larger SUV or truck for towing, than my Jeep.

Specifications from Brochure:

Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries) 410 (I assume this is TW tongue weight)

Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries) 2,585

Maximum Trailer Capacity (GVWR) (lbs.) 3,500
Net Carrying Capacity (lbs.) 915
Fresh Water Tank (gal.) 22 gal. (184 lbs. full)
Gray Water Tank (gal.) —
Black Water Tank (gal.) 29 (Combo) (242 lbs full)
Fresh water + grey/black water tanks at full capacity = ~425.85 lbs.

2585 lbs dry weight (w/lp and batteries)
425 lbs (fluid tanks at full capacity)
500 lbs cargo
-------------------
3510 lbs total (@ 500 lbs cargo)

My Jeep weighs approx ~3400 lbs (without payload)

Jeep GVWR is 4900 lbs. I'm unable to find a GCWR.

3400 + 3510 = 6910 which equates to 2010 lbs over manufacturer's GVWR. I was told by another RV'er that this rating can only be changed by the manufacture. Adding heavy duty shocks, springs, other towing equipment the GVWR is unchanged.

Dry weights: 2585 + 3400 = 5985 lbs - 4900 = 1085 lbs over GVWR.

_____

Other questions:

Height of trailer above ground, when travelling off-road & non paved roads.

What is the current the solar panel ratings, can the solar and batteries be easily upgraded?
Old 10-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Long beach , Mississippi
Waiting to see someone own and tow one, I have a jeep 4 door and want to use it as tow. I went and saw a demo BC today, I thought it was perfect.
jaz
Anyone have one ?
Old 10-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #38

1971 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs View Post
Looks like a great trailer for outdoors, however I think I would require a larger SUV or truck for towing, than my Jeep.

Specifications from Brochure:

Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries) 410 (I assume this is TW tongue weight)

Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries) 2,585

Maximum Trailer Capacity (GVWR) (lbs.) 3,500
Net Carrying Capacity (lbs.) 915
Fresh Water Tank (gal.) 22 gal. (184 lbs. full)
Gray Water Tank (gal.)
Black Water Tank (gal.) 29 (Combo) (242 lbs full)
Fresh water + grey/black water tanks at full capacity = ~425.85 lbs.

2585 lbs dry weight (w/lp and batteries)
425 lbs (fluid tanks at full capacity)
500 lbs cargo
-------------------
3510 lbs total (@ 500 lbs cargo)

My Jeep weighs approx ~3400 lbs (without payload)

Jeep GVWR is 4900 lbs. I'm unable to find a GCWR.

3400 + 3510 = 6910 which equates to 2010 lbs over manufacturer's GVWR. I was told by another RV'er that this rating can only be changed by the manufacture. Adding heavy duty shocks, springs, other towing equipment the GVWR is unchanged.

Dry weights: 2585 + 3400 = 5985 lbs - 4900 = 1085 lbs over GVWR.

_____

Other questions:

Height of trailer above ground, when travelling off-road & non paved roads.

What is the current the solar panel ratings, can the solar and batteries be easily upgraded?

GVWR and trailer towing capacity are two different things. Read your owners manual for the towing capacity. You can also find it online. You should use a brake controller for any trailer that is more than 40% of your TV weight. 3400# x 40% = 1360#.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #39

1971 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Washington
Someone asked about a weight distributing hitch and the next responses were with sway bar information. While there are hitch assemblies that deal with both, these are two completely different issues. With the size of these trailers, if you have your load distributed properly, you should have little need for a sway bar. On the other hand, there are many vehicles capable of towing a trailer this size, but may not be able to handle the tongue weight, thus requiring a WDH.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:59 AM   #40
wcs
2 Rivet Member

Grayland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7ASW View Post
GVWR and trailer towing capacity are two different things. Read your owners manual for the towing capacity. You can also find it online. You should use a brake controller for any trailer that is more than 40% of your TV weight. 3400# x 40% = 1360#.
Ok, I'll take a look inside the owners manual. My hitch has a sticker that states 2000 lbs maximum and 5000 lbs maximum with weight distribution.

I was in another RV forum and some of RV owners were telling me that if your in an accident and the insurance company surmises or figures the accident was caused by overloading or overweight, that the insurance companies will often first take a look at the GVWR and GCWR (if available). Supposedly the GVWR can only be changed by the auto manufacture. Towing addons, upgrades, better suspension, axles, etc. won't change the GVWR.

I was told some Insurance companies are using the GVWR to make decisions about an accident and insurance policies, with potential cancellations, etc.

I'm not certain if they know exactly what they are talking about, but the GVWR is used by some RV'ers to determine the GCWR (if not available from the manufacture) and how much weight can be pulled.

To determine what how much you can pull or approx. GCWR one method used:

1. Weigh tow vehicle loaded and gassed up.
2. Weigh trailer loaded ( propane, water, gear etc.)

Then subtract (tow vehicle weight + trailer weight) from GVWR to determine where you at. To be on the safe side the Tow vehicle weight + trailer weight shouldn't exceed the GVWR.

This is a guesstimate and not your actual GCWR. (Gross Combined Weight rating)

A couple of calculators I came across.

Towing Calculator
http://www.huskytow.com/towing-calculator/

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml
Old 10-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
WCS,
"I was in another RV forum and some of RV owners were telling me that if your in an accident and the insurance company surmises or figures the accident was caused by overloading or overweight, that the insurance companies will often first take a look at the GVWR and GCWR (if available)."

"I was told some Insurance companies are using the GVWR to make decisions about an accident and insurance policies, with potential cancellations, etc."

Not aimed at you but I would challange anyone that makes such a statement to sight their verifiable source.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #42
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs View Post
....I'm not certain if they know exactly what they are talking about, but the GVWR is used by some RV'ers to determine the GCWR (if not available from the manufacture) and how much weight can be pulled.

To determine what how much you can pull or approx. GCWR one method used:

1. Weigh tow vehicle loaded and gassed up.
2. Weigh trailer loaded ( propane, water, gear etc.)

Then subtract (tow vehicle weight + trailer weight) from GVWR to determine where you at. To be on the safe side the Tow vehicle weight + trailer weight shouldn't exceed the GVWR.

This is a guesstimate and not your actual GCWR. (Gross Combined Weight rating)
That is not how you would determine how much you can tow. Use the published tow rating, reduced by any guidance from the tow vehicle manufacturer on how much the tow rating is reduced (if at all) by any cargo in the tow vehicle.

You wouldn't estimate a GCWR, where R is rating (ie, specified by manufacturer) using the GVWR, but using actual weights you could estimate GCW. In accounting terms, it represents actual instead of budget. If a GCWR is not specified by the manufacturer, it is for all intents and purposes the total of the GVWR of the tow vehicle plus the GVWR of the trailer.

You also wouldn't do a calculation involving the GVWR and the weight of the trailer. The only trailer weight that impacts the GVW is the tongue weight, and you appear to be using the entire trailer weight. That isn't correct, unless you are carrying the trailer in the tow vehicle.

Don't expect to necessarily find a GCWR for your vehicle. It isn't used for private vehicles, it is a commercial truck term. The trucks that have one are those where the manufacturer expects that the vehicle may be used in commercial service, and need the sticker.

Jeff