Old 04-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Jerry,
Prior to our Airstreams, we had a couple of pop-ups, the last one being a "delux" model with A/C (& furnace) & toilet/shower, icebox, stove, sink, etc.. Even had a powered lift! A Coleman, I think. We pretty much could take it anywhere and it was very comfortable & even somewhat "civilized" for the non-camper in the family. Think it weighed in at under 3K lbs. Easy to tow.

Really nice out in the boonies in the evenings when you could unzip the vinyl "windows" and let the breeze through.

They're not expensive and would be a much better buy than the basecamp if y'all aren't ready for an Airstream trailer yet. Good way to introduce the kids to "roughing it"...
Yes, good advice. We had the same experience.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Casita/Scamp, etc.

Last night when I went home, there was a Scamp parked about two sites away from me. Airstream really should buy one of these companies, than they could change the name to the Airstream EGG - It really looks like my unit could have laid this egg. They are tiny - perhaps six feet wide, but are fully or nearly fully contained. (Porta-pot, but not sure about a shower).

They are cute as a button and this one was towed by a mid-range SUV. This could be a very good "pre-Airstream" camper - and for less than the BaseCamp.

Paula

Old 04-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr
Thanks for all the great input, As for my TV it is a Jeep Commander with a towing rating of 6500lbs. I have looked at the used market and the wife would like to stay within a couple years of new. I am searching for pre-owned BC's to take away some of that initial depreciation. Again this is just something to get us out in the woods for now until I can get the Big Set-up I am wanting. Also I am aware of the leaks and tent issues I contacted a dealer today to see if that has been addressed in the 08 models.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry, while we all want to see others share our love of Airstreams and hate to recommend anything else, check out the T@DA model in the T@B line of trailers at :
Tab-rv.com - T@B Microlite teardrop RV travel trailer campers - Tab

They only advertise one of the T@AD models to sleep four so you might need to add a bunk such as was discussed with some vintage Airstream models.

Then again, your Commander would easily pull a new 22 ft Safari Sport with similar sleeping space, still need to fit in a bunk. You might find a used model from someone who upgraded for more space.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
this unit should be poifect for you and yours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15ford_lamsteed-kampkar.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	58617  
Old 05-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
For what they want in the base camp, the new narrow smaller sport safaris might be a go for not much more /month. Your commander with tow those just fine. They are more on concept from Europe, narrow and more of a tubular look. Anybody write in on these on the forum. They have been out for year or so.

If the price is too high, you might want to try a Casita. Very durable unit but very small. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman
Jerry, while we all want to see others share our love of Airstreams and hate to recommend anything else, check out the T@DA model in the T@B line of trailers at :
Tab-rv.com - T@B Microlite teardrop RV travel trailer campers - Tab

They only advertise one of the T@AD models to sleep four so you might need to add a bunk such as was discussed with some vintage Airstream models.

Then again, your Commander would easily pull a new 22 ft Safari Sport with similar sleeping space, still need to fit in a bunk. You might find a used model from someone who upgraded for more space.
I am a former T@b owner which also had a tent attachment. T@bs are very light weight - 1500 to 2000 lbs and can be towed by most cars or small trucks. With the tent attachment you can comfortably sleep a family of 5, mom and dad in the camper and the kids in the tent. Our unit had a frig, gas burner stove, AC, furnace, tent, awning, and porta potty. We configured our unit with a Cabella shower shelter and put a porta potty there. I am certain that will make your wife smile . We did a number of mods to it to make it very functional for 2 adults and 2 large dogs.

Tabs have been around for about 4-5 years now and there are a number out there in the used RV market. You should be able to pick up a gently used T@B for under 10K. There is also a Tab yahoo group list. You might find that to be a great entry into a camping lifestyle and eventually move up to a Dreamstream! That's what we did.

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote