Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
New Braunfels , Texas
Big Red Numbers Installation

Installing the “Big Red Numbers” on a Base Camp. If you have installed the numbers for the Wally Byam Airstream Club I would appreciate any suggestions.
Joe Wezensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
Decal Placement

I presume that the numbers are individual decals.? Either way, the process is essentially the same. Get some removable masking tape and put a strip horiontally where you want the bottom of the characters to be. Then measure to a known location (like a seam) on each side to determine the center line of your unit and mark that on the tape. Next, lay out the characters with their backing sheet still attached on a table and find the center line of the copy. From that point, you can measue and mark on the tape where each character should go.
If the numbers are supplied on a backliner with a removable premask on top (as they should be) using the hinge method will be helpful. You can Google "hinge method for decals" and probably find a few videos on the subject. It's not rocket science. Good luck!

PS: I have not applied Wally club decals but have been in the decal and graphics business for 40 years. I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn either!
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Another tip I can suggest is to NOT attach them on a windy day if you are doing this outside. I learned this lesson the hard way!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
What John said. Maybe they have changed but I've done this twice, as recently as two years ago. Mine were conventional decals, without a front sheet. I marked them as John suggested, and used a solution of water and a few drops of Dawn to spray on the trailer. Keep everything wet and squeegee the air bubbles out as you position the numbers. Here's a link:
http://wbcci.org/component/jdownload...ig-red-numbers

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
Red numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Woodrow View Post
I presume that the numbers are individual decals.? Either way, the process is essentially the same. Get some removable masking tape and put a strip horiontally where you want the bottom of the characters to be. Then measure to a known location (like a seam) on each side to determine the center line of your unit and mark that on the tape. Next, lay out the characters with their backing sheet still attached on a table and find the center line of the copy. From that point, you can measue and mark on the tape where each character should go.
If the numbers are supplied on a backliner with a removable premask on top (as they should be) using the hinge method will be helpful. You can Google "hinge method for decals" and probably find a few videos on the subject. It's not rocket science. Good luck!

PS: I have not applied Wally club decals but have been in the decal and graphics business for 40 years. I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn either!
I am unsure your tape line is the correct way
The numbers 3, 8, 0 should be a bit higher
So check carefully
OttawaValleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
I stuck mine on my front and back windows. Those numbers tend to etch themselves on the aluminum over time.
Holy Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saint Joseph , Michigan
I maybe wrong (wife will tell you that's pretty often) but there may be a security issue with those big red, and blue, numbers.. do you want just anyone to see you're away from home?
TruckerFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If someone is motivated enough it's easier to get your name and address from your license plates than from your WBCCI number. I don't even give this a thought. Besides, outside of this community most people have no clue what the number represents. So put the number on or don't it's your choice.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I can attest to the numbers etching the aluminum over time. Even though we have the same number that was issued in the early 70's I've removed the old numbers and I am going to put our WBCCI number on a piece of lexan and display it behind a window or attached to the A-frame during rallies. I will end up buffing out the area the numbers were which will look weird since it would only be that part of the trailer and then I will end up buffing / polishing the whole trailer - it's like painting one room in your house.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
To apply the loose-shipped numbers supplied from WBCCI the trick is a teaspoon of dish soap mixed with water in a good sized spray bottle.

Mark a straight line for the bottom of the numbers with tape or pencil, and tape the numbers where you are happy with them.

Make a few small index marks with a pencil so you can align the numbers later.

Working on one number at a time, spray copious amounts of the soap/water solution on the trailer surface and carefully peel the backing off a single number.

DO NOT allow the number to stick to itself, it is a fatal error. Slide it onto the wet trailer surface as you peel.

Keeping the surface wet is the trick. One can slide the number around to get it in the right spot if things are kept wet. If things get sticky, lift an edge and spray more solution.

Keep it wet.

Use the index marks to align the number.

When you are happy, use your fingers and more solution to work the bubbles out. Be careful, the number will slide if you work to much.

Apply the remaining numbers the same way.

After a few minutes, one can work out any remaining bubbles with a bit more pressure and a paper towel.

The soap and water will dry in a few hours and you are done.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
A point of info. We recently added a rear view camera. The location that worked best blocked the center clearance light. Not a very good idea and might be illegal, although I can't believe an officer would write a ticket for that level of infraction. Our solution was to locate the camera in the middle of a red number. Depending on your number, that might not work. So, consider carefully where you locate the numbers. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
When I bought my AS motorhome in 2015, the curved front made it very difficult to get access to the area above the windshield. Instead I mounted the numbers on a clear piece of plastic Lucite and it sits inside the front windshield. Numbers on the rear were mounted high under the rear camera.

When I went to the Airstream Rally in Michigan last summer, I same many of the trailer owners had done something similar on the front by mounting on the windows or placing them inside. Almost everyone had numbers on the rear mounted above rear window.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wezensky View Post
Installing the “Big Red Numbers” on a Base Camp. If you have installed the numbers for the Wally Byam Airstream Club I would appreciate any suggestions.
Another forum member's solution was to have smaller numbers custom cut to fit the smaller space on the Base camp.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...nt-148544.html
Old 12-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I just had my sign shop put my numbers on a rectangular piece of aluminum colored vinyl. No ghosts that way. Two large sets for the end caps and two small sets for the top of the front curbside and roadside windows. This makes it easier to find our trailer in a long line at a rally. I have to change them out every 7 or 8 seasons in the
TX sun. Wash off the area with rubbing alcohol and apply with plenty of lightly soapy water
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
The question for me is not "how to".... but...."where to" on a Basecamp.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Red numbers

I purchased a piece of plexi. They’re not on our coach but easily displayed. Next to the numbers is the WBCCI sticker. Works well for us without the attachment to the rig.
Good luck!
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Here's where I placed mine. Just above the LP tank cover and below the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030238.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	308211   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030237.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	308212  

MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote