Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Santa Fe , New Mexico
BC with solar package

We're seriously considering a BC, and are looking for input from anyone with the solar package and how useful you've found it. We will usually be boondocking and will rarely be connected to shore power. I did not notice a 12v receptacle in the 2017 BC -- did I miss this, or is it not there? If it's not there, how are folks hooking up an inverter?

We have no problem going without shore power, but still need the flexibility to plug in/charge things like a laptop. Not sure how easy this will be in a BC. Input / ideas appreciated!
JuniperRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
SoCal , California
We have the solar package on our Basecamp. Although we have owned it for two months we've only had it on a two night camp trip (at dealer for repairs).

The solar worked well for us. During the night we used the lights, charged our devices, etc. We ran the battery down to 80-90%. By the time we got up in the morning and after just a few hours of sunlight they were back up to 100%. I was pretty happy with the performance but this was such a short test I am not sure if it is real-world or not.

After doing some more testing I would not hesitate to put an additional battery in it to provide a little additional capacity. The AGM batteries are a bit expensive but worth it in my opinion.

There is not a round 12 volt (cigarette lighter) outlet in the Basecamp. I was surprised at this. I don't think it would be difficult to mount one under the cabinet, or just hard-wire the inverter into the battery with a switch and fuse.
Joe_Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
I plan on adding a second AGM battery to match what is there. I plan on operating ham radio from the BC so the dual battery and solar will be a sweet match. I will also be likely adding some panel mount power ports similar to what you see here:

https://powerwerx.com/panel-mounts

I need to get my hands into the BC (pickup is Saturday 5/20) so I can see what makes the most sense.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thank you both for the replies and the information!

I think the lack of a 12v socket is a miss in the BC - there's no flexibility to harness the battery/solar with only USB ports. That said, we're still hooked on the model. We're working with the dealership to add the socket before we take delivery, which should be simple. I really like the flush mount socket in the link you shared, MrKenmore - thanks for that. Very sleek and appropriate for the Airstream design. We'll be ordering one

I saw one reference online that the USB ports in the pull-up towers in the galley are only functional on shore power - can anyone confirm this? That would also be a surprise...perhaps it was only the case in early prototypes?

We'll probably add a second battery after we spend some time in it. Joe_Julie I hope your BC returns from the dealership soon so you can enjoy more adventures!
JuniperRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
JR

I agree the BC should have some 12v outlets. These are readily available from Amazon for less than $10. We boondock normally and use the Endless Breeze fan from Fantastic Fans to keep us cool. It requires a 12v receptacle to operate.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
Classy Roscoe

MrKenmore,
Thank you, thank you! You just answered a question and supplied a resource!! Powerwerks products. Awesome.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
You are very welcome! The high output 4.2 amp USB charger is great. I have it in my old pickup truck. Make sure you get the right hole saw!!!!
Old 05-25-2017, 05:23 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Superior , Colorado
I too have the solar option and I did add a second AMG battery at the dealer. We boondock as well and the system has worked out great for us. Despite using the fan, heater, lights and such we've never dropped below 75% capacity and by mid-morning (or earlier) it's back to 100%. Really impressive in my opinion. There are some USB ports which are live with the solar/battery setup. One is in the "arm rest" storage area, one is behind the roadside backrest near the bathroom wall, and one is in the back on the lower part of the roadside bench. All work off battery power for charging phones, tablets and such. It's true the two pull-up towers in the kitchen area only work when on shore power, and the same goes for the plugs outside the camper. Hope this helps!
badgeruw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Batteries can be a bit fussy. Without knowing how your monitor is wired, and how it is calibrated, it's a bit hard to know what your batteries are doing. A $20 multimeter with the probes right on the battery is more trustworthy than most "capacity meters". A 12.0 V reading on the battery (at rest) is a good point to stop pulling power from the battery. Is that 50% on your capacity meter or is it 10%? It is worth knowing if you plan to operate on batteries.

AGM's are great batteries to have. Unfortunately, like any lead acid battery, they are not very tolerant of being run flat. They will last a *lot* longer if you do not run them to zero. You can still light the lights with the battery at 10V and run the USB stuff at 9V on the battery. The battery would like stopping at 12V a whole lot more. Since AGM's are *expensive*, keeping them happy is worth the effort.

This is by no means Basecamp specific. It applies to any situation that relies on the batteries as primary power. There are a lot of threads on batteries here and on other sites.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
badgeruw - Do you know the make and model battery that was installed? I know it needs to match the stock battery but I have yet to open the access panel to check. I'll be ordering mine shortly so I can install.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The amount you draw down your batteries is definitely related to their overall life expectancy. If you pull up the Lifeline technical manual (http://lifelinebatteries.com/wp-cont...cal-Manual.pdf) at the end of this publication, you will see a nifty graph that specifies the expected number of charge cycles vs. the average amount of draw placed on the battery.

For example, if you regularly draw the batteries to the 50% depth of discharge of 12.2VDC (DoD), you can expect around 1000 charge cycles. At 10% DoD, or light use of the batteries, you will get close to 5000 charge cycles. This is in lithium longevity territory and a definite reason to size your battery bank according to your needs with a bit of additional capacity. Continual over draw of your battery bank WILL severely decrease their longevity.

Also, a shunt based battery monitor system like Victron's MV-702 is easy to install and will gain you extremely accurate battery usage data that you can monitor on your smart phone.

Welcome to the 21st century!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
badgeruw - Do you know the make and model battery that was installed? I know it needs to match the stock battery but I have yet to open the access panel to check. I'll be ordering mine shortly so I can install.

Hi MrKenmore. I don't but for the fact it's an AGM. I think they replaced the one stock 12v with two 6v AGM batteries. Because access isn't that easy I have not opened up the storage area.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:58 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Usually the "two 6V in series" replacement process happens when you switch over to T-105
batteries. They are high capacity conventional lead acid rather than AGM's.

Bob
Old 05-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
I'll be opening the access panels this weekend and snap some pics for everyone.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:50 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Superior , Colorado
I'll be getting my BC back from the dealer soon and will check out my configuration and post pics.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

What you *should* see on a Basecamp:

A SRM-24 normal lead acid with a 84 AH rated capacity.

-- or --

A GPL-24T AGM lead acid with an 80 AH rating.

The AGM's come with the factory installed solar panel.

That's based on the owners manual so .... who knows what's in there My *guess* is that they go to two GPL-24T AGM's in the solar upgrade version. Both are 12V and they run in parallel. A really crummy page in the manual showing the wiring diagram suggests that is what has been done.

Bob
Old 05-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Here are some pics of the battery, battery holder (with room for one more!) and the DC power / solar distribution.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170528_132710-1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	286390Click image for larger version

Name:	20170528_132651.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	286391Click image for larger version

Name:	20170528_132646.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	286392Click image for larger version

Name:	20170528_133540.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	286393
Old 05-29-2017, 06:09 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So they really *do* go from a higher capacity 84 AH battery to a lower capacity 80 AH battery with the solar upgrade. So much for guessing

Bob
Old 07-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
Now that some time has passed, how is the solar working for everyone? Has anyone added the second battery? Is it worth it?

We're picking up our BC, hopefully in a week, and are looking forward to the solar and boondocking.
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungishJedi View Post
Now that some time has passed, how is the solar working for everyone? Has anyone added the second battery? Is it worth it?

We're picking up our BC, hopefully in a week, and are looking forward to the solar and boondocking.

Hi. We added the second battery and are very pleased with the results. We mostly boondock so we had the extra battery added before we took possession of our BC. As such, we've only known the performance of two batteries and can't compare it to that of a single battery.

Running the lights, fans, heater, water pump, charging phones, iPads, etc. the most we've ever run down our batteries is to 70%, then by 9AM or 10AM the next morning we're back up to 100%. We live in CO and have lots of sunshine which helps.

Again, we're very glad we got the solar with the extra battery.

Enjoy your BC! We just got back from a weekend in Rocky Mountain National Park and just love our BC. (Be ready to attract lots of attention. We're constantly getting asked to show it...it has lots of admirers!)