Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawford , Colorado
basecamp solar readings

After the axle recall and a major hail storm in Denver I finally have my Basecamp in my driveway and ready to go.

I am new to solar charging and do not understand the readings on the solar panel readout.

What are solar charge amps and solar charge hours.

also how low can my battery voltage be and still be useful

Many thanks
dickgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawford , Colorado
Another question.

Where is the battery stored and how do you get to it? There is nothing in my owners manual about where it is
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickgeo View Post
Another question.

Where is the battery stored and how do you get to it? There is nothing in my owners manual about where it is

Hi dickgeo. The battery compartment is in the upright cabinet in front of the bathroom. It's below the cabinet floor and requires removal of the screws holding down the cabinet floor.
badgeruw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
After the axle recall and a major hail storm in Denver I finally have my Basecamp in my driveway and ready to go.

I am new to solar charging and do not understand the readings on the solar panel readout.

Many thanks

There are a lot of knowledgeable people in this forum who can your technical question....but I'm not one of them! I can tell you about my actual, practical experience with the solar setup, however. I added a second battery because we mainly boondock (we're in Colorado too). Running everything...lights, fans, heater, etc., I've never dropped below 70% charge capacity. Then by 9am or so, the batteries are back up to 100% capacity. The solar panels work great out here in the Colorado sunshine!
Old 08-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawford , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeruw View Post
There are a lot of knowledgeable people in this forum who can your technical question....but I'm not one of them! I can tell you about my actual, practical experience with the solar setup, however. I added a second battery because we mainly boondock (we're in Colorado too). Running everything...lights, fans, heater, etc., I've never dropped below 70% charge capacity. Then by 9am or so, the batteries are back up to 100% capacity. The solar panels work great out here in the Colorado sunshine!
Thanks badgers. Did you install the new battery or have Windish do it.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Thanks badgers. Did you install the new battery or have Windish do it.

I had Windish do it.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Many thanks
Hi

If you have the standard readout, solar charge hours are a bit useless. You really don't have the data you need to get much useful from that number. There are fancier systems that will give you better data.

Solar charge amps is the current coming out of your solar charger. It is not the current going into your battery. You may have loads turned on that will use the current instead. It at least gives you an idea of how much your solar is putting out. That's not to say how much it *could* put out, it will only source current up to the point you have a load (gizmo or battery charging) that uses the current.

Battery voltage is one way to tell if your battery is ok. If the batteries are at 70F and the readout is calibrated and if you have no loads causing drops .... 12V is the point you stop using the battery. If the battery is hotter, the magic voltage is a bit lower (maybe a half volt lower). If the battery is colder, the magic voltage might be a half volt higher. Without a temperature readout attached to the battery, it's a bit of a guess.

That's the quick and dirty version. There is a lot more information around here on the forum and on the internet.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
New Braunfels , Texas
I purchased a Kuncan DC 5v to DC 12 volt converter from Amazon for my rear view camera and it worked fine.😋
Joe Wezensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wezensky View Post
I purchased a Kuncan DC 5v to DC 12 volt converter from Amazon for my rear view camera and it worked fine.😋
I am running my rear view camera from the rearmost USB outlet by the back door because I didn't want to revert the headlights to manual all the time in order to power the camera through running lights. Running the tow vehicle lights in auto resulted in the trailer running lights being off during the day. Putting the lights in manual has the system screaming at me whenever I forget to turn the lights off (it's so 1980s).

Since my camera has a power supply range of 9V-30V, I asked the manufacturer if running at 5V would create any stress on the internals (extra heat, etc.) and they said that the only performance problem might be weak signal transmission or monitor image gremlins like rolling or artifacts from time to time.

So far, the signal is full bars on the monitor and the image is crystal clear after running for several hours.

Did you resort to the up convertor because your camera would not operate on 5V USB or did you decide to stay as close as you could to the power supply range to be safe?
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote