Old 11-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Las Vegas , Nevada
Battery Help on my Basecamp

Last summer, we made the step from tent camping to RVing by purchasing a Basecamp. After our first trip, which was fine, our battery never seems to hold its charge at all anymore. I know nothing about batteries, so any help will need to be in layman's terms. Also, I don't know how to access the battery.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomonkey View Post
Last summer, we made the step from tent camping to RVing by purchasing a Basecamp. After our first trip, which was fine, our battery never seems to hold its charge at all anymore. I know nothing about batteries, so any help will need to be in layman's terms. Also, I don't know how to access the battery.
Hi locomonkey; Welcome to the forums locomonkey. While I am not familiar with the location of the battery in a Basecamp, [most likely a small trap door from the outside] your battery requires constant maintenance. It needs to be charged regularly as it is used. Pending on the type of the battery it may need distilled water added to if the electrolyte level is low. If your battery was left for a long period without a charge it may have sulfated and unable to take a charge. Best for you is to pick up a battery maintenance booklet at your local battery store. Thanks "Boatdoc"

Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
The battery was the first thing we had to replace on our Classic.

Seems it stayed to long on shore power while on the dealers lot and was boiled dry.

This was our solution.

Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1968 17' Caravel
Lakewood , New Jersey
The battery is located on the RS front underbelly. You have to raise the hitch jack up high enough to crawl underneath to dismantle the mounting bracket/ battery box. If your Basecamp does not have the optional Glassmat battery, I would recommend upgrading to one.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Couple of suggestions -

1. Re-post to the "Electrical" forum. There is a "battery" sub-forum with folks with lots of battery/charger knowledge.
2. Consider upgrading to high quality AGM battery (i.e. Lifeline). Often the weak link is the factory installed battery
3. Check out 3 stage charger/maintainer like the "BatteryMINDer".
Old 05-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Las Vegas , Nevada
Battery problems still + ....

We ended up buying a new battery AND a battery tender. Now, each time we put the Basecamp in storage, we remove the battery (wish they would have made it more convenient to access) and hook it to a battery tender at home. This seems to be working well, except I must be hooking the battery up wrong or something. The lights are working, the sink is working...but the radio and the "lighter" plugs are not. Can someone enlighten me on the art of correctly hooking up the battery?

Also, one of our tail lights is out. would that be a result of my shoddy battery hookup?
Old 05-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The radio and lighter plugs are on 12 volt circuits. Have you checked the fuses in the power supply near the back RS corner? The door pops down and there are fuses for the 12V DC and breakers for the 110V AC.

If your power supply is working properly, plugging in the trailer to the external AC line should keep the battery charged... it is a multi-function panel. If you want to keep using a battery tender, you can get an adapter that hooks to the battery with a plug in, then use a matching connector to hook to your charger. Motorcycle battery tenders usually come with these.

The tail lights are also 12V DC... if it isn't a fuse, you can check the three pins that bridge the trailer to door connection. Make sure they are making contact. It's unlikely the whole LED light blew... so a fuse or connection would be the place to start. Make sure your trailer connection isn't the problem as well...

It's still not a bad idea to take the battery out over winter... but for a week or two, that's a lot of work...