Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Basecamp window screens

My much better half needed a good challange while I was on the road this past week on a business trip, so she tackled the front window screen problem. I'm happy to report that she was successful! It was a bit of a PITA to make them, but Liz's design works like a charm AND still allows full operation of the windows. We camped this weekend at Cheesequake State Park (our firrst no-hookup camping with the Basecamp) and the screens were delightful! I'll post pix in the near future of her solution.

Cheesequake State Park is a nice campground, right off exit 120 on the Garden State Parkway (NJ). If your rig is over 11 feet tall, you're out of luck though as you won't clear a bridge under the GSP that leads into the campground. If you can clear the 11 foot height limit, the park doesn't have any hook ups, but the bathrooms are clean and they have a very good dumping station to empty your tanks. Rates are $20 a night and reservations are a good idea for weekends.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Pictures, please! I modified the prototype AS screens with velcro and they worked well. I would LOVE to see what you came up with.

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
OK, here goes...

Here is a drawing of the screen installation, I hope this helps...

I don't have the dimensions with me, nor the trailer, so I'll just describe the process as best as possible and provide the drawing.

Liz measured the window opening and added 3/4" all around for the mounting tabs. She cut the screen and wrapped/sewed edging material to the tabs. Next, she attached the hook part of the velcro to the tabs (self adhesive, but she plans on stiching it as well).

You need a helper for the next steps (we did this on the campground this weekend).

With the window open but without the bar in the knob thingy, attach the loop portion of the velcro to the inside of the window frame, flush with the edge of the fiberglass. Velcro the screen in place, then mark where the rubber pads have to be placed (use straight pins). Close the window (not all the way) without the bar thingy, and make the cut in the screen for the latch. Find where the bar will come through the screen with the window closed and make a hole at that point. Open the window and point the bar to the knob thingy and make a hole for the bar. Play "connect the dots" with the two holes cut a slot in the screen the width of the bar.

Take the screen out and attach the rubber from inner tubes (or rip-stop nylon, but rubber is better) on both sides of the screen and cut your slits. The rubber will tend to close up around the bar and keep the bugs where they belong - OUTSIDE!

Though my explaination might not be crystal clear, it was really a simple process. The diagram should clarify what I didn't describe very well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC window screen.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	552.7 KB
ID:	41700  

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 07-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Nice solution! Be sure to tell us about other changes you make to the BC.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Bob,

Lisa's design is very good. The rubber slit is different from the AS solution. There was no slit, just a little extra material to accomodate the bumb of the swing arm. It worked ok, but it was clear that it would be a wear or rip point. You did great.

If we still had the Basecamp, my next project was to be making a mosquito netting for the door opening. We knew that we wouldn't be using the tent always, but wanted to secure that opening from bugs. I even purchsed high quality no-seeum netting and velcro tape for the project and had almost completed the design phase. Oh well........

You guys are really clever!

Caryl
Old 07-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl
Bob,

Lisa's design is very good. The rubber slit is different from the AS solution. There was no slit, just a little extra material to accomodate the bumb of the swing arm. It worked ok, but it was clear that it would be a wear or rip point. You did great.

If we still had the Basecamp, my next project was to be making a mosquito netting for the door opening. We knew that we wouldn't be using the tent always, but wanted to secure that opening from bugs. I even purchsed high quality no-seeum netting and velcro tape for the project and had almost completed the design phase. Oh well........

You guys are really clever!

Caryl
Thanks! How did AS handle the latch?

TAC - NJ-007

Old 07-23-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Oops... I forgot and Liz scolded me...

She hasn't done it yet, but she plans on sewing some quick grab loops on the front end of the screens so they can be pulled off quickly in an emergency. There, now I don't have to sleep on the couch!

TAC - NJ-007

Old 07-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
The AS solution was to just have the screen cover the latch which made a huge gap at the top. It was just a matter of time before the latch would rip a hole in the screen. The screen was held on by grommets and there were gaps between the grommets. Really, the whole thing was useless. I added velcro which covered the holes well. But to open and close the window, we had to rip the screen off, open the windon, and then re-attach. Your solution, I mean, Lisa's solution is quite elegant. The grab handles are fabulous. Just like the block and tackle for the doors, you have nailed it. Cudos and Bravos!

Caryl
Old 09-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Rivet Gunner

2007 Base Camp
Tacoma , Washington
Bob,
I have appreciated your many helpful comments on useful ways to upgrade the BaseCamp.You seem very handy!
I am going to write a new thread on upgrading the propane tank usage that might be of use to you and some of the others.
Regards,
ArveeBob
ArveeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Dallas
Wonder if Magic Mesh will work for the door entry? Has anyone tried that yet? Please let me know and thanks.
DonTX58 is offline   Reply With Quote