Old 08-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wilsonville , Oregon
Basecamp Tow vehicle - RAV4 Adventurer?

Greetings.
With the Basecamp GVWR of 3,500 lbs. and assuming as a single person I would not come near the maximum 915 Cargo Capacity, would a Toyota RAV4 Adventurer (with towing package and 3,500 towing capacity) be sufficient to take the Basecamp on most outings? Or, am I pairing the trailer and tow vehicle without sufficient enough safety margin for hill climbing capacity and safe and secure stopping? The RAV4 Adventurer has a net weight of 3,605 and GVWR of 4,705 along with the 3,500 towing rating.

I need to purchase a new tow vehicle and would rather not go into the larger SUV or pickup vehicles with 5,000 lb towing capacity as I would like to own and feed the more economical RAV4.

Fredjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
it is risky to tow close to the max tow weight. It is not just for how strong the RAV4 is but how good are the brakes? Cooling system? Safety margin? I do not want to discourage your desire to have an AS. You can always get little bigger crossover vehicle with tow package for safety reasons.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
I would never use a vehicle at max tow rating as a general rule when towing. Its just not safe.

The RAV4 is not intended for towing at max rating all the time.

A used 4-Runner will do it. And would have a 5K rating most likely. And be better suited to towing.

My suggestion is, get a larger SUV. And when you aren't towing, Slow down, and you'll save gas.

If you only buy vehicles because of their " economics " you wont have a good time towing and your vehicle will suffer. A Transmission will over heat ( now aux cooler ) and you will burn MORE gas because your vehicle will be constantly straining at max tow weights, which will cause premature wear on brakes, tires, bearings and will probably cost you more in the long run than the gas you burn while not towing.

www.usairc.org
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Iíll take the opposite view. I think the Basecamp is precisely the kind of trailer that is ideal for towing with the RAV4. The Basecamp is even more aerodynamic than a regular Airstream, and the RAV4 produces more than adequate power. Also, trailer weight is *not* a significant factor in safe towing. Hitch setup is. You will want a weight distributing hitch and ideally a friction sway control.
Please understand that when you are travelling down the highway, aerodynamic drag creates almost all of the load on the engine. Vehicle weight affects friction at the road surface, but the effect is very small.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wilsonville , Oregon
Thank you Halford1, JJTX and AlbertF

Appreciate your feedback and opinions.

To clarify my reason for the post, I certainly do use economics as part, not all, of my decisions. Clearly, my looking into purchasing my second Airstream trailer is a good indicator that economics aren't my only deciding factor. Economics in regards to tow vehicle class and mileage IS important to me in being responsible for my own carbon footprint over the life of that vehicle whether towing or driving solo. Sure, I could tow a BaseCamp more easily with a beefy SUV; however that does not fit into my view of driving or trailering with the smallest possible impact on the environment for the lifestyle I choose.

I posted the question in the BaseCamp forum to see if anyone else actually pulled a BaseCamp with a Toyota RAV4 Adventurer, a model that is specifically upgraded and beefed up for towing; to see if they had experience with engine performance, and heat variables in the engine, transmission and brakes.

Using a larger vehicle, let's use a basic Toyota Highlander AWD for example; consumes in 100,000 miles 800-1,300 gallons MORE gasoline than the RAV4 Adventurer 4WD would. That means I would be emitting between 8-12 more TONS of greenhouse emissions over the life of the vehicle into the air. Thus, that's where the economics rubber hits the road for me.

Airstream touts itself as a "Green Certified" builder. They are making and marketing lighter trailers to those of us who wish to find a good compromise between fuel economics and trailer livability. One can go tiny in other trailer models, but crawling in and out of a teardrop and cooking outside on the tailgate is not my preference for camping. The Basecamp was the closest high-quality trailer that truly appealed to me in its design and use of space while minimizing weight and optimizing aerodynamics. But it would be a disservice to consumers if that "Green Certified" built trailer had an unnecessarily bigger imprint on air quality because owners were required to tow with a large vehicle in order to use it safely.

I believe that with confirmation from Toyota this configuration would work with the following caveats. I wouldn't pull any trailer without sway control. Minimize payload in the tow vehicle as well as the trailer. Be mindful of engine and transmission brakes; maintain the vehicle well and give the vehicle everything it needs to perform efficiently and cool down when needed. Being mindful of your vehicle's critical health metrics is easy with the addition of a ScanGuage which pulls all your engine and transmission data into an easy display. These are actually vehicle metrics that everyone should be monitoring regardless of tow vehicle capacity and trailer size.

In any case, thanks for chiming in. I've gotten the feedback I was looking for.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Neat

The base camp is one neat little rig. Too bad itís so dark inside. I donít get the super dark tint on the awesome windows.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wilsonville , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
The base camp is one neat little rig. Too bad itís so dark inside. I donít get the super dark tint on the awesome windows.
Thanks, civeng99,
My guesstimate is because the BaseCamp is more at home in the woods, National Parks and BLM spaces where electric service is more rare. Thus, the tinted windows keep the solar heat gain minimized where A/C is not possible without a generator.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
good luck with RAV4 in towing. Make sure that you have a good insurance in case of brake failure to cover the other driver's vehicle or damages on the property, and have money set aside for expensive transmission and engine repairs because the warranty will probably not cover the damages cost from towing near or at max tow weight.

Sometimes we should get a tent instead of camper if we are so concerned about carbon imprint. No campfire because of burning wood that stores carbon. Propane also gives out dangerous fumes when keeping water hot, cooking and keeping fridge cold.

Maybe should stay at hotel and get a hybrid vehicles. Electric vehicles do contribute in air pollution. (how are electric made?)

Have to say that it is NOT reasonable to ignore the safety of others while towing.

2017 M16 Bambi
Old 09-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
good luck with RAV4 in towing. Make sure that you have a good insurance....
This is called FUD, or fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

The RAV 4 is well matched to the Basecamp. Make sure the hitch is set up properly, watch the weights, and you are good to go. I would have no concerns on the RAV 4 in this application.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
This is called FUD, or fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

The RAV 4 is well matched to the Basecamp. Make sure the hitch is set up properly, watch the weights, and you are good to go. I would have no concerns on the RAV 4 in this application.
One has a choice having safety concern of oneís been family while towing or total disregard for safety of others while towing. Itís like sayingĒ letís see what happens if RAV4 can tow it for a few years and see if the brakes can handle the 3500 lbs camperĒ. That is not fear, uncertainty or doubt but rather ID-ten-T. Itís your money but how much is otherís safety worth?

Weight distribution will not lessen the weight to help with the max tow weight. It just move some weight toward the front and the total weight would be little higher with the weight from the weight distribution system.

I know this from experience and I used to have the same attitude of ignoring safety. No I did not have a wreck but it was scary until I bought an appropriate TV and I feel good for being safe for my family and others. I bought an AS Bambi which my Explorer can safety tow it anywhere with passengers and food. I see many AS owners do the same -tow safety.

2017 M16 Bambi
Old 09-09-2019, 11:43 PM   #11
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
One has a choice having safety concern of one’s been family while towing or total disregard for safety of others while towing. It’s like saying” let’s see what happens if RAV4 can tow it for a few years and see if the brakes can handle the 3500 lbs camper”. That is not fear, uncertainty or doubt but rather ID-ten-T. It’s your money but how much is other’s safety worth?

Weight distribution will not lessen the weight to help with the max tow weight. It just move some weight toward the front and the total weight would be little higher with the weight from the weight distribution system.

I know this from experience and I used to have the same attitude of ignoring safety. No I did not have a wreck but it was scary until I bought an appropriate TV and I feel good for being safe for my family and others. I bought an AS Bambi which my Explorer can safety tow it anywhere with passengers and food. I see many AS owners do the same -tow safety.
You presume a lot to pronounce that you are safe because of your choice of tow vehicle, while the rest of us are risking people's lives by "ignoring safety."

Some of us have been doing this for a long time. Safely.

I don't expect WD equipment to help with braking performance, other than to potentially help manage sway. I expect the trailer brakes to help with the combination vehicle braking performance.

What scares me is people that think that TV selection is the primary arbiter of towing safety. It is tow combination setup, and operation.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
You presume a lot to pronounce that you are safe because of your choice of tow vehicle, while the rest of us are risking people's lives by "ignoring safety."

Some of us have been doing this for a long time. Safely.

I don't expect WD equipment to help with braking performance, other than to potentially help manage sway. I expect the trailer brakes to help with the combination vehicle braking performance.

What scares me is people that think that TV selection is the primary arbiter of towing safety. It is tow combination setup, and operation.
If I do not choose appropriate TV, then I would have problems. The appropriate TV would take care of safety as well as with WDH if needed. I would NOT tow my Bambi with Ford Escape even with full tow package. Escape can tow SMALL trailers (utility or tow motorcycles) (similar with RAV4). It is not safe. Bambi and Basecamp has same GVRW - 3500 lbs. This is why I stressed for a bigger Crossover. Even with 19' Bambi (4600 lbs) I would not tow it with my Explorer (5000 lbs Max Tow). I would like a 25' AS but it will have to wait until I get the Expedition if it can safely tow it.

There are plenty of smaller campers that RAV4 and Escape can tow.

2017 M16 Bambi
Old 09-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wilsonville , Oregon
Halford1
You are offering personal opinions on what vehicle and camper thatís appropriate for me? To clarify you are in the wrong forum, donít own a BaseCamp or RAV4.; have no experience with either piece of equipment and were not welcomed to tell me what to drive or camp in.
Please bow out. The thread was mine and I said I heard what I needed. Subject is closed. Should you need to insult, talk down to and rant at others, you can start your own thread.
Thank you
Old 09-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredjacob View Post
Halford1
You are offering personal opinions on what vehicle and camper thatís appropriate for me? To clarify you are in the wrong forum, donít own a BaseCamp or RAV4.; have no experience with either piece of equipment and were not welcomed to tell me what to drive or camp in.
Please bow out. The thread was mine and I said I heard what I needed. Subject is closed. Should you need to insult, talk down to and rant at others, you can start your own thread.
Thank you
Not a problem Karma pays back very well. good luck with your RAV4.

2017 M16 Bambi