Old 01-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
Motorcycle Enthusiast

2007 Base Camp
Currently Looking...
Columbus , Indiana
BaseCamp torch passed to our family

Hello all. Late last spring we travelled to Pennsylvania to buy a BaseCamp. We had been patiently watching for a couple of years and were thrilled when an ad appeared for one available with lots of options and many additional equipment included.

The BaseCamp was owned by Rhyder McClure, who sadly died last year. Rhyder posted many times on this forum about his innovations with the BaseCamp. His wife was happy that another BMW motorcycle enthusiast was getting the BaseCamp as Rhyder had used the BaseCamp with his motorcycles as well.

Here are a few shots of the trip we took with the BaseCamp this summer to attend the BMW Motorcycle Owner National Rally in St. Paul, MN at the State Fairgrounds. Rhyder had attended several of these National Rallies with the BaseCamp and a couple of folks stopped by to chat with him this summer. We were sorry to have to tell them of his passing.

By way of background, our daughter received her motorcycle learners permit in June and we took her with us on her motorcycle for her first long trip as a solo rider. Since her permit restrictions included riding "in the company of another licensed rider" my wife and I took turns driving our Highlander Hybrid pulling the Basecamp with our motorcycle inside. The other parent would ride their bike with Faye following on hers. By the end of the trip we often found ourselves letting Faye lead on the back roads.

Here is the BaseCamp parked in front of the house with another recent addition to the stable - a 1979 BMW R1100S.

Our campsite at Colonial Beach, VA during our test weekend to make sure everything worked.

On the way to St Paul we camped in Ohio and used Rhyder's tarp to assist the Kelty with some expected rain.

Our campsite in SW Wisconsin near Dubuque, IA. Our daughter's tent is behind the red chairs.

Our campsite in the RV section of the State Fairground in St Paul. The wire spool was placed to give other RV drivers a pointer so they didn't clip the tongue on the turn in front of our site. Our daughter chose to camp with a bunch of teenagers - go figure!

Relaxing in the shade. Highlander in the background. The Hybrid pulled the BaseCamp just fine.

Karla shot this on the ferry to Kingston, Ontario in Canada. We crossed into Canada at Sault Ste Marie and spent a few days camping in Ontario's Provincial Parks.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Looks stylish! Congrats!

Old 01-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Congrats! I'm sure Rhyder would be pleased by the hands it has fallen into. Airstreams have a tendency to carry with them a history of past owners.

Looks like you had a great trip, and to be honest, it looks like it's almost bigger than our trailer once you've got the tent all set up! They are so rare, I can't wait to see more pictures of it this summer!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
That's a great looking BaseCamp. Looks like you had a great time.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Love it, I use State Fairgrounds a lot, they are great!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Great story, great pics. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:51 PM   #7

Base Camp

I'm Rhyder's brother Jim - Want you to know that his family is really, really happy that you all are using and enjoying the base camp so much - as you described, Rhyder put a lot of time and imagination into the many upgrades to that trailer and he really enjoyed doing it please keep us posted about all your adventures!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Excellent!!! Welcome aboard! See your PM (Private Messages)...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Love it!!!!!

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 01-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #10
Motorcycle Enthusiast

2007 Base Camp
Currently Looking...
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3eb25 View Post
I'm Rhyder's brother Jim - Want you to know that his family is really, really happy that you all are using and enjoying the base camp so much - as you described, Rhyder put a lot of time and imagination into the many upgrades to that trailer and he really enjoyed doing it please keep us posted about all your adventures!
Jim: I have been overwhelmed by the response we have received while traveling with the Basecamp. The trip this past summer was important for our family because our daughter is starting her journey as a motorcyclist, while Karla and I are entering our motorcycling retirement.

Rhyder has been a wonderful inspiration to us. I saw his YouTube videos a couple of years ago and knew that I wanted a Basecamp. Imagine my surprise to discover that the one we were looking at was his! I would have loved to have also picked up one of his bikes but sadly I spent all our available funds on the Basecamp. Later I was able to find a cafe racer similar to (but not as nice as) Rhyder's R90S.

I hope Bob (the MD dealer) is able to get good prices for Rhyder's bikes for Susan. They were obviously works of great passion and patience.

We enjoyed meeting Susan and her daughter in Pennsylvania when we picked up the Basecamp and are happy to report that we are as thrilled today as we were when we drove away. I know Rhyder's daughter was a bit misty as she saw the bikes leave that day on the trailer for MD. She mentioned how Rhyder had taken her for rides on that R50/2 when she was a younger.

We plan for a full season of riding and camping this year and I will share our moments with the community.

Thanks again for the note.

Duty First!

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen
sgtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I;m also a Basecamp owner and a BMW rider. We were also at the rally in MN but we rode our bikes. I wish I had seen your camper. I just picked mine up in 8/2014. Our has many options including the tent, but no poles. I wonder if you would be so kind as to measure the length of your poles, sometime? I know where to get them made. I would really appreciate it. It was good to see the pic's with the tent up. Ride safe.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #12
Motorcycle Enthusiast

2007 Base Camp
Currently Looking...
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampett View Post
I;m also a Basecamp owner and a BMW rider. We were also at the rally in MN but we rode our bikes. I wish I had seen your camper. I just picked mine up in 8/2014. Our has many options including the tent, but no poles. I wonder if you would be so kind as to measure the length of your poles, sometime? I know where to get them made. I would really appreciate it. It was good to see the pic's with the tent up. Ride safe.
I'll measure the poles this weekend. I will also mention that we thought they were probably 1/2 inch too long. A really tight fit and not an intuitive process to set up. Once we had it figured out we were fine.

There were two BaseCamps at the rally in St Paul. And there is another here in Virginia that belongs to a local club member who rides a GS.

BTW, I'm originally from Arkansas. Grew up in the country outside Clarksville, Ozark and Hunt. We didn't actually "live in town". Of course now all those dirt roads are nicely paved and terrific riding. Always take a ride when I visit my dear mother.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Thank you Bill, it would be much appreciated.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #14
Motorcycle Enthusiast

2007 Base Camp
Currently Looking...
Columbus , Indiana
BaseCamp tent poles measurements

Clampett: Like much of the BaseCamp, the tent poles for the Kelty are not exactly standardized. There are 5 poles total. 3 of the poles have the standard aluminum nipples at the ends while the other two have a nipple at one end and a black plastic ball end at the other. See the photos.

Here are the measurements starting with the longest.

1 pole at 226.5 inches. This pole is 9mm thick measured from edge to edge.

1 pole at 188.75 inches. This pole is 9mm thick measured from edge to edge.

1 pole at 162 inches. This pole is 9mm thick measured from edge to edge.

2 poles at 157.125 inches. These poles are 11mm thick measured from edge to edge.

One end of the middle length pole is shorter than the others at 11.5 inches.

PM me and I'll share my phone number if you'd like to discuss. My poles could use refreshing the shock cords.