Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
BaseCamp Tent For Sale - $500

Like-new condition Kelty Tent for BaseCamp for sale. Used one overnight. Includes custom made 6 mil ground cloth. MSRP-$1,012 for tent, our price for both-$500.
JerryMcMunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Jerry, I saw your ad in the classified section the other day. I guess the tent was not with the basecamp when it met it's tragic end.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Jerry, I can only imagine the tragedy associated with this sale, without knowing a thing about it. I'm so sorry.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Hi Richard & Pat,

Thanks for your kind words. The tent was one of very few things that was not in the trailer during the fire. Fortunately the unit and contents were insured so we were able to replace the BaseCamp with a 19' Bambi.

So much for taking the motorcycle on trips but we did gain more comfort and convenience with the Bambi. The BaseCamp was a cool little multi-purpose unit. It was only two months old when it was destroyed ;-( We have a small ingot of aluminum to remember it by.

Cheers,

Jerry
Old 07-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMcMunn
Hi Richard & Pat,

Thanks for your kind words. The tent was one of very few things that was not in the trailer during the fire. Fortunately the unit and contents were insured so we were able to replace the BaseCamp with a 19' Bambi.

So much for taking the motorcycle on trips but we did gain more comfort and convenience with the Bambi. The BaseCamp was a cool little multi-purpose unit. It was only two months old when it was destroyed ;-( We have a small ingot of aluminum to remember it by.

Cheers,

Jerry
OMG! I had to do some reading to find out what was going on... I'm so sorry you lost your Basecamp, but at least you seem to have had good insurance.

Funny thing, my wife and I have also been looking into getting a 19' Bambi, but as a second unit - not to replace our Basecamp. I guess great minds think alike!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
It seems like 'Fact' that nearly everyone.....

It seems like nearly "Fact" that everyone that starts out with the smaller AS units, invariably trades up in no time flat..... Oh, the depreciation!!!

Find a size you really love, can't live without, it's perfect - then go 2 trailer sizes bigger right away! Saves a LOAD of money and makes the messy transitions go away!

Just a thought

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Jerry,
If you have posted this elsewhere, or would rather not post this info - please disregard. I was wondering what caused the fire? (The Investigator side of me coming out)
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Avon , North Carolina
Could you put the bike in the back of a pickup truck?

2006 23' Safari
2007 F350 Lariat Crew 4X4 PSD
AIR# 21875
WBCCI# 3778
Region 3, Unit 144 (Eastern North Carolina)
gotohatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Dave, There is one or more threads on this forum about the fire at the Chicago area (Bollingbrook) dealer. My understanding is that it is now verified the fire started in the adjacent business' space but the exact cause has not been determined. I've been told that the insurance companies are now able to remove debris for detailed investigation but no definitive cause has been found. Regards, Jerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Jerry,
If you have posted this elsewhere, or would rather not post this info - please disregard. I was wondering what caused the fire? (The Investigator side of me coming out)
Dave
Old 07-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Thanks for your suggestion. You know, I suppose I should try but there are a few obstacles. First, when we had the BaseCamp, we bought a nice Leer cap for the truck. It is heavy and to remove it, I'll have to cut electrical wires and install sets of break-apart connectors. Second, before we bought the cap, my measurements tended to indicate that it was questionable if the bike would fit. Third, adding 750 lbs. to the bed may be too much for the Ridgeline truck with the 19' Bambi. Finally, a full size pickup is too long for our garage. No one of these issues is insurmountable but taken together, frankly, I'd rather just go camping without the bike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotohatteras
Could you put the bike in the back of a pickup truck?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Hi Axel, I agree. We sort of knew we would eventually upsize if we liked the BaseCamp and the experiences that came with it. We didn't ever, however, imagine it would occur after just two months!!!! Fortunately, our insurance company did not depreciate the trailer in reimbursing us. Regards, Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
It seems like nearly "Fact" that everyone that starts out with the smaller AS units, invariably trades up in no time flat..... Oh, the depreciation!!!

Find a size you really love, can't live without, it's perfect - then go 2 trailer sizes bigger right away! Saves a LOAD of money and makes the messy transitions go away!

Just a thought

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Well, we've got ten interesting replies to this post but no offers. Would someone please buy this frickin' tent. I promise it will not blow up your BaseCamp!!!! Thanks, Jerry
Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
The Bambi Decision

Hi all,

As Jerry's spouse, I also lost the Base Camp in the Great Chicago Airstream Dealership Fire.

I loved Bob Fowler's comment about having a Base Camp and a Bambi. I think we should all have different models for different purposes or whims . I would love to have the Base Camp back and the Bambi too. That way Jerry and I could have more choices and could take the motorcycle when we wanted.

Because of all the new technology available, Jerry can work while traveling. This idea proven while camping in the Base Camp lead us to the idea of extending the camping season into late fall and perhaps winter. We looked around a bit at other toy haulers and SOB's, but we are frankly hooked on Airstreams.

I personally don't look at this as an upgrade. The Base Camp is a different kind of experience. The Bambi is another. One of these days, I will have both AND a cool vintage unit as well. AND a cool vintage TV!

Guess I have Airstream fever!

Caryl

By the way, sleeping in the Base Camp is more comfortable than the 19' Bambi--no walls to bump into in the Base Camp.
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl
<snip>By the way, sleeping in the Base Camp is more comfortable than the 19' Bambi--no walls to bump into in the Base Camp.
Liz and I were looking at Colonial a couple of weeks ago looking at a 25' FB Safari. Just for grins, we checked out all of the open units on the lot (why not?) and discovered that the beds in the 16' and 19' Bambi were a better fit for my 6'3" chassis! When we camp in the Base Camp, I take the end of the bed closer to the galley as it's just a schneck longer, but still quite comfy. We bought an egg-crate foam thingy at Wally World to place on top of the cushions for a bit more padding - also quite comfy.

We didn't camp this weekend, but we did get out and wash and wax the trailer, as well as Liz's Subaru, and for the first time in the six years I've owned it, I scrubbed the roof of my GMC van. You wouldn't believe the crud that was taking root up there...

Yesterday, we made reservations at a local state park (Cheesequake) for the 20th through the 22nd. This will be our first trip with no electric hook up, so we'll get to experience the Base Camp with no A/C and see how well the battery holds out powering the small fridge.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMcMunn
Well, we've got ten interesting replies to this post but no offers. Would someone please buy this frickin' tent. I promise it will not blow up your BaseCamp!!!! Thanks, Jerry
I'd be tempted, IF I didn't buy the tent when I bought my trailer! It really is a good deal Jerry is offering...

TAC - NJ-007

Old 07-09-2007, 10:42 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Bob,

We used our thermorest pads with a sheet over them on the Base Camp bed and were really comfy. Jerry (6'4") took the galley side and was quite comfortable. Our thermorests were saved, but alas, the expensive sleeping bags were not.

My I also add that your block and tackle is the absolutely coolest thing since sliced bread. I love it!

Hope we can meet some time for a campout. We may make it to the Adirondacks (our old stomping and vacationing ground pre-Chicago) in October.

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Thank you, Bob, for validating the value of my offer. In addition to using a ground cloth, we even fit an indoor/outdoor carpet floor for the tent. Our feet never touched the nylon floor of the tent and the floor of the tent never touched the ground. We wanted the tent to last as long as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler
I'd be tempted, IF I didn't buy the tent when I bought my trailer! It really is a good deal Jerry is offering...
Old 07-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Greetings,

I am happy to report that a new BaseCamp owner in VA purchased the tent and ground cloth. It was a pleasure chatting with all of you about it.

Cheers,

Jerry
Old 09-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Rapid City , South Dakota
can i use the tent with my 27fb?
be cool for my dogs!
Chick Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMcMunn View Post
Like-new condition Kelty Tent for BaseCamp for sale. Used one overnight. Includes custom made 6 mil ground cloth. MSRP-$1,012 for tent, our price for both-$500.
Is your kelty tent still available? 843-442-810 Anthony Ross. Feel free to text or call Thank you
tugdiver is offline   Reply With Quote