Old 09-05-2017, 05:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hermon , Maine
Basecamp table leg

Yes, we've had the same problem with the table not coming off the short table leg, but we've got that mostly sorted.

This weekend we have a new problem: we can't get the short leg out of the socket. The button release on the floor is moving, but the leg column is stuck in place. We've tried both feet, fingers, and even pressing hard with a hammer edge to be sure it's depressed. The column won't even move.

Got any help?

Kitty in Maine

Kahaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahaz View Post
Yes, we've had the same problem with the table not coming off the short table leg, but we've got that mostly sorted.

This weekend we have a new problem: we can't get the short leg out of the socket. The button release on the floor is moving, but the leg column is stuck in place. We've tried both feet, fingers, and even pressing hard with a hammer edge to be sure it's depressed. The column won't even move.

Got any help?

Kitty in Maine
Not elegant, but as long as you have released the locking mechanism, it works. The photo shows it at the table junction and twisting clockwise, but the strap wrench can be reverse mounted to turn counterclockwise for removing the leg from the floor fitting.

Just be sure that the lock is released. If the strap wrench is inhibited in movement, then the locking mechanism is still engaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	294074  

Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:

Got any help?

Kitty in Maine
Kitty, how did you "mostly" solve the problem with the table not coming off the short leg?
bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:44 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You can slide a putty knife between the base and the leg, in the area the little ratchet teeth are located, then turn the leg.

For the leg not coming off the table, you can use a 1000 grit sandpaper on the top inch or so of the leg to clean off any high spots, then spray silicone lube on it.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Hermon , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikechuck View Post
Kitty, how did you "mostly" solve the problem with the table not coming off the short leg?
As the below poster-though we haven't tried the sandpaper. Silicone spray into the table top, making sure the O ring is covered. It's still a bit of an issue; I find I need to 'smack' the sides of the table few time (I use the flat of my hand). That loosens it up enough to get it lifted off.

I love my BaseCamp, but these table problems are just stupid.
Kahaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
Table legs-short

Quote:
As the below poster-though we haven't tried the sandpaper. Silicone spray into the table top, making sure the O ring is covered. It's still a bit of an issue; I find I need to 'smack' the sides of the table few time (I use the flat of my hand). That loosens it up enough to get it lifted off.

I love my BaseCamp, but these table problems are just stupid.
They drive me nuts! I've tried graphite and silicone without success. I've tapped with a rubber mallet. Last time out, I pulled so hard that I pulled the flange right off the table, stripping the screws. Had to drill new holes and used longer screws. I'll try sanding the tops and see how that works. I love my Basecamp but I hate those short legs.
AThiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
We use a strap wrench when the short legs won't unscrew from the floor.

Getting the table top off the short legs continues to be a pain. The last 2 times camping, we were successful with this routine: While the legs are still attached firmly to the floor, grasp the table top with both hands, one hand on the short side close to the leg and the other hand on the opposite side. Jiggle it wildly in a see-saw motion while simultaneously pulling it straight up. Do not attempt to twist it. (I'll try to make a video of this next time, if only for entertainment purposes.)
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmnhead View Post
We use a strap wrench when the short legs won't unscrew from the floor.

Getting the table top off the short legs continues to be a pain. The last 2 times camping, we were successful with this routine: While the legs are still attached firmly to the floor, grasp the table top with both hands, one hand on the short side close to the leg and the other hand on the opposite side. Jiggle it wildly in a see-saw motion while simultaneously pulling it straight up. Do not attempt to twist it. (I'll try to make a video of this next time, if only for entertainment purposes.)
I was doing this exact thing when I pulled the table top right off the leg receptacle and stripped out the screws. Be careful!
AThiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
6 inch strap wrench works for both top and bottom.
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Basecamp table legs

I haven't complained about the table legs because ... I made my bed at the back of my BC ... I'm short .. I utilized one of the tables to do that and I don't really plan on taking that down. I'm a really fast eater and 90% of the time at home, I eat standing up at the kitchen window, because I'm a nature photographer and I end up seeing a lot while I'm eating ... like a Greater Roadrunner in my pasture. I anticipate that I'd eat in my BC standing up looking out the window. Odd ... I know, but one less thing to worry about for me and those table legs. I need that space for a dog anyway :-)
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Garland , Texas
Feel the leg pains .. I threw my hands up and said can't do it but DH figured out to grab opposite sites and rock back and forth it will eventually pop off the tabletop. I tried it the last trip and... success!
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:27 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Mount Shasta , California
Getting the table off is my daily workout. I've been turning to get the top off but then the leg is too tight. I'll try the sanding and the strap wrench. it also would have been nice if there was just one leg that could extend into a tall or short position. That seems like a no-brainer. It's annoying to switch between the two legs.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
Short table legs

Below is a link off Amazon to some O rings that we purchased to solve this issue of getting the tops off the short table legs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We really haven't had any issues since.
ChrisandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
Short table legs

Just discovered the hyperlink I tried to use didn't work. Below is the description and part number for these O rings off Amazon:

328 Silicone O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Red, 1-7/8" ID, 2-1/4" OD, 3/16" Width (Pack of 10); part number ORS-328-10.

Use these O rings with existing O rings. I added the new O ring in the table socket with the original O ring. Double layer. Tops come right off.

ChrisandSue is offline   Reply With Quote