Old 04-25-2006, 08:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
The Past is the President ...

When I was in Jackson Center three weeks ago, unknowingly chatting with artlink from this Fourm during the factory tour with Don, I noticed three old 1947-1950 Airstream Liners apart behind the Service Center. All were being being renewed. One belonged to a customer who was having the detached frame modernized and strengethened before the body was remounted, an in-house full monty. A second belonged to Airstream's new President, Bob Wheeler. The third belonged to another customer.

Airstream's recent Prez, Dicky Riegel, had his 1955 Flying Cloud redone by the Service Center last year. It was finished by the end of the 2005 Homecoming and was very, very droolworthy. I think its fantastic that Airstream's Presidents choose to have vintage Airstreams refurbished for their personal use. It shows a great sense of history and pride in product at the top of the company.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Highways article also...

Hello all -

Got the new "Highways" and there is a 'feature' on the new AS.

"BaseCamp - The versatile AS is perfect for the action-oriented traveler."

Mentions "a GVWR of 2,000lbs (smaller TV's) and a MSRP of Less than $20,000". ???. "FreshWater tank size,GW, BW and HW are 'to be determined'.... LP will be 5gal. Shows a 16'2" length and a height of 8'."

Marketed as a 'springboard to adventure' this sounds like a direct appeal to the younger crowd - a 'Multi-purpose tent trailer hybrid'. With a seemingly standard "Kelty tent extension" this does sound like the best? of all worlds. The Kelty extension is for those "that don't turn up their nose at a night in a sleeping bag".

"With two (2) 50" seat/beds".... there seems to be room for the pets or??? "Also ramps for the ATV's, kayaks, mountain bikes or whatever "..... we all are so fond of bringing....

Sorry, sorry! I'm done. Just trying to bring the article highlights to the forum.

We'll see how the BaseCamp flys out there with that 'action oriented traveler'....

I got a Camper, but I gotta spend a night or more in a sleeping bag?!??? Sorry, said I was done and now I am...

I'm keeping my 34' Classic!

Tongue that was planted FIRMLY in cheek is KILLING me. Teeth marks.

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
The Basecamp looks kind of cool but my prediction is it will "never sell". The only thing that resembles an AS about it is the Name plate and shiney aluminum!! To much $$$$$$------ to little product ---Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:14 AM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Some of those SOB pop-up's have passed the 10K mark. You know there will be some kind of market. After all why do people spend 50K for an A/S when they can get an SOB for less than a third of that cost.....we all know....because it's an Airstream!

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote