Old 03-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Missoula , Montana
Basecamp Reviews

Anyone have any feedback on the new Basecamp?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Montana guy. I think I have read about three posters say they have purchased the base camp here. Perhaps do a search. But I do not recall their posting much beyond the purchase itself. I have read that the sales have not been as much as expected.

I saw many at the factory the end of January and one at the International rally that the dealer brought in. I think they are very sharp and versatile. I believe one owner was going to use it commercially to display and transport in addition to its other uses.

Have you checked out Airstream.com? In the Buzz there are often reviews linked there.

Welcome to the forums!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
You may be asking the wrong folks. The Basecamp is a CAMPER. It's a lovely, modern expression of it, and our beloved Airstream did it, but it's not what us most here have.

I don't think it needs a lot of critical review. Just go look at it, and if that is what strikes you (and would me if I were twenty-some years younger), I could understand it.

It certainty is a good looking little trailer that offers some utility, comfort, and prestige. . . and it doesn't need a towhog to pull it.

This is not an analytical thing. It's an emotional thing. If you look at it and fall in love with it, and then discover it suits your needs, how could it ever be WRONG?

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #4

Dexter , Michigan
New Basecamp

We just bought a new Basecamp. It is very cool. Its enough for my wife and I to get off the ground in bad weather, and we can tow it with out Colorado. I think you could even tow it with a car or small SUV. Looking forward to good weather so we can use it.

Don Darnell
Old 03-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Hey Don, congratulations! Hope you will post camping pictures we have none that I know of with the base camp actually out camping. Are you getting the tent add on? I think it would be so cool to take it up North and cross country ski and get into tight places like over little bridges. Should be no problem to tow in winter and keep really snug too.

photography
Old 03-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Congrats!! Now you can go to the ends of the earth and sleep in comfort.

You really need to post pics. I/we want to see it.

Don't for get to post some pics in the March photo contest.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Send a message via AIM to wannastream Send a message via Yahoo to wannastream
I think the Basecamp is an neat little camper, but wow is it pricey. I think that is the biggest complaint I've encountered consistently when I see a review or opinion on this little rig.

I (we) looked at one when looking at AS trailers but it wasn't for us. I have a feeling based on the sales numbers that it has (not) generated that it might be a short lived production. Presently they are being drastically discounted and still don't seem to be selling too fast. I think that the demeographic that AS is going after with the Basecamp will find it difficult to justify spending that much cash on a camper. It's kind of aimed at folks in their 20's to 30 range and at that stage of life it can be difficult to come up with a lot of discretionary cash to spend on the toys. I'm not much over the age of the demographic range of this unit and I know I couldn't have afforded this type of spending 10 years ago.

I hope those of you who have purchased these units really enjoy them, I do think they are versatile and fun, and they look great.

Bill
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
wannastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
Mellon head

2000 30' Excella
Ballwin , Missouri
My daughter and her husband have just purchased a T@B teardrop camper made by Thor and love it. Last weekend they took it out for a shakedown and had a good time. They're towing it with their Jeep and should be able to go just about anywhere. The cost was much less than a Basecamp although they're being sold by the same dealer. They got the tent that goes with it which will give them a lot more living space. A fun little thing!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I like those Tabs and they come in colors too, don't they? They are pricy too. Looks like a good amount of room and versatility. But those teeny home made teardrops(?) where you basically have room only to lie down would feel somewhat like a modified mummy bag to me in a coffin , and I can't imagine going outside to cook in the rain, but then when we were tenting that is what we had to do. Maybe a good match for motorcycle camping as opposed to sleeping on the ground.

I like those recreated 50's trailers too,(Nifty fifties?) saw one at Tin Can Tourists rally, very fine interior.

photography
Old 03-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
congratulations,
Wish you a lot of luck on the Basecamp. I agree with others here, that it is a little pricey, but thats what they say about our motorhome also.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Cypress , Texas
My wife and I sprung for one. Used to tent camp while the kids were growing up, and like the idea of a 2000 lb camper that also serves as a toy hauler...a Harley. We can stake out a (base) camp site in an area we want to tour on the bike. With AC, a small stove and the tent attachment, it's all we need. Only down side is the poor initial quality, i.e. door seals, and what looks to be some hand rework on the door assemblies, but minor in total. The dealer should have all the warranty work done this next week. Then we are off and exploring the great American Southwest.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Martinto,

I was wondering if anyone had had problems with the rear door. I looked through one at the local dealer, and the upper latch had already torn the top weatherstrip. I didn't know if it was an adjustment problem with this particular trailer, or if it was a common issue.
Looks like a fun trailer for your type of use. Congrats!
Dave
Old 03-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I like those Tabs and they come in colors too, don't they? They are pricy too. Looks like a good amount of room and versatility. But those teeny home made teardrops(?) where you basically have room only to lie down would feel somewhat like a modified mummy bag to me in a coffin , and I can't imagine going outside to cook in the rain, but then when we were tenting that is what we had to do. Maybe a good match for motorcycle camping as opposed to sleeping on the ground.
They aren't that bad Carol. We have camped the last 3 years and have spent 128 nights in our teardrop.. its not a coffin, but is cozy with about 46" inside in width. Not recommended for couples that have 'fights'

Most teardroppers use an open canopy at the rear to deal with any rain. It will be weird though this summer not having our kitchen ourtside. Actually the T @ B now has the option for the galley at the back. Good move Thor! We did want a bit more comfort though since we want to do more like 40+ nights a summer camping.

Would love to see the Basecamp up close though! Anyone have one in Ontario or upstate NY?
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinto
My wife and I sprung for one. Used to tent camp while the kids were growing up, and like the idea of a 2000 lb camper that also serves as a toy hauler...a Harley. We can stake out a (base) camp site in an area we want to tour on the bike. With AC, a small stove and the tent attachment, it's all we need. Only down side is the poor initial quality, i.e. door seals, and what looks to be some hand rework on the door assemblies, but minor in total. The dealer should have all the warranty work done this next week. Then we are off and exploring the great American Southwest.
That is a sweet. As another Harley rider I gotta say you guys have the perfect camp and ride setup.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote