Old 03-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Images: 5 just posted a whole new section on the Base Camps. It is pretty neat.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
After much research, my husband and I purchased a Base Camp. We are nearing retirement and wanted to get off the floor of the tent. My arthritis makes that difficult. My husband loves his motorcycle and the Base Camp just seemed great for camping and riding. Our first outing over the weekend to an RV park near St. Louis was super. (We live in the Chicago area) Without hauling the motorcycle, we only saw a 3 - 5 drop in mpg.

My husband is 6' 4" and I am 5' 1" and we found the bed very comfortable. The galley works well and has lots of storage. We added an additional 5 gallon water tank and bought an outside water holder tank thingy on wheels for the gray water. We do have the screens on the windows, and they are definitely a work in progress--not yet perfected. I am adding velcro to fill in the gaps and hope they don't rip. Before we take a late June trip to the Boundary Waters in Minn (read killer mosquitoes!) I will be making a netting curtain for the doors.

We will be off to New Mexico and Arizona in a couple of days and will let you know about any interesting adventures with the Base Camp. We will be using the tent attachment for the first time and hauling the motorcycle for some riding.

The door is difficult to close from the inside and I have some peeling weather stripping that I have been able to reattach. I think you have to be careful with the doors. I have already broken the plastic receiver for the metal door brace. Don't know if that is the right term, but I am referring to the mechanism that braces the door from the inside. We will be replacing those plastic receivers with metal ones.

So far, we think it is pretty nifty, flexible and comfortable. I am enjoying using the camping kitchen gear again and my sleeping bag. It's great to have the Base Camp and get out and about doing the things I love to do.

Oh, yes--the pull vehicle. It's a Honda Ridgeline and it is great.

Caryl in Evanston

Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yes please keep us posted on your travels. Sounds like just the right blend and such style. You will have to tell us what the other campers say. I bet they will never have seen a BaseCamp before. Your projects sound like a good idea. You will be really in touch with your environment but have the amenities to make camping easier. Congratulations and welcome Caryl. You may need to post a picture of the motorcycle too, I know there will be a huge number of fans here.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I talked with a large dealer and he said that he had a few people look but hasn't sold one yet. I think they look cool but it seems it is a very specialized unit.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
i agree that they are a very specialized unit. i have looked at one at a dealership, but it seemed like an awful lot of money for what you got. i can see where they would fit some people's lifestyles perfectly, but give me a small trailer such as a bambi with all of the real amenities! now if i could have both, well then maybe...
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #20
Currently Looking...
Bay City , Texas
I am thinking about getting one to go to motorcycle ralleys. The one item that is missing in my opinion is a microwave. It is not even available as an option.
bcquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
We are thinking about using a portable microwave as soon as we figure out how to store it when moving. We have a small portable that would easily sit in the galley, but I want to have convenient strap-it-down ability.
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1972 Argosy 20
2007 Base Camp
Middletown , New Jersey
Originally Posted by Caryl
We are thinking about using a portable microwave as soon as we figure out how to store it when moving. We have a small portable that would easily sit in the galley, but I want to have convenient strap-it-down ability.
Liz and I have a second ac/dc cooler that we carry (it's an older Coleman). We transported it in the rear of the BC and held it down with a rachet strap between the two aft most tie down rings. The nice cooler that came with the trailer traveled up front in the van, between the seats. Nuthin' like a cool, refreshing beverage on demand! :-)

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote