Old 05-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Las Vegas , Nevada
We have it in storage until our next trip, I'll take a photo then. If it is really expensive, I don't know that it's worth it. Its kind of like one of those things that they make for closets that hang on the pole and has shelves.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #16

2007 Base Camp
Hobe sound , Florida
Basecamp Tent

Help - I have a 2007 Basecamp. The tent is great in fair weather. We enjoy the extra room and have it set up as a sitting area to use at night away from the bugs (with a couple of pillows near the stairs so they don't come in from underneath). I have been using the tent for 2 summers but now it has started to fall apart. I have a pole that is split and 4 rips that I have duck taped (looks great). In a strong rain storm, it leaks so bad I end up with 6 inches of water inside the tent. I know leaking has always been a problem. Anyone have any suggestions, I am wondering if it is even worth contacting Kelty/Airstream to see if they would replace the tent or if there are other options available.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I believe Kelty has a lifetime warranty against defects, which split poles or seems would typically be... We just used our tent for the first time this week in Whitehorse, Yukon... and had the typical issues with space by the sides and the gaps around the fold-down steps. We had only a light rain one night, and just a few drops inside the tent.My suggestion would be to look at a fly or tarp. Kelty makes a model called the Noah, in different sizes, that might work. I think it is a generally poor concept to have a big tent like this with no provision for a fly (and then charge $1500 for it to boot).We used a 50% sun-blocking 'tarp' under the tent. It is porous and allows any moisture under the tent to escape, but still provides abrasion protection for the bottom. We do not have a fly yet... but I'll be trying to figure something out before our next trip...
Old 08-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #18

2007 Base Camp
Hobe sound , Florida
Tent-Fly Solution

We have a home grown design for a fly that covers the tent, Bascamp and provides a covered area for sitting. What we did was use 1 1/2" PVC piping to create a T bar like brace across the top of the Basecamp using the steel rails on the top to secure the PVC. Then using a 15 ft x 30 ft blue tarp and 6 tent poles and tie downs for the ends. This is a low cost solution {$30}. I have some ideas to improve upon it maybe buying a light weight material for the tarp, parachute material and attaching the front poles to the steel lower rails on the base camp to create an outrigger type pole setup.
The T-bar is the key to this approach in my mind. The Basecamp has 2" steel rails on top, by using 2" to 1 1/2" T PVC connector and cutting the T connector so it clips onto the steel rails, which to my surprise makes a tight fit so no drilling or screws are required. Then using 2 more pieces of PVC-T connectors of 1 1/2" size and 1 1/2" PVC piping (16 ft is enough) and cut to length required. I cut two pieces to 1 ft lengths for the upright pieces this allows enough height to clear the antenna and allow enough air space to allow moisture to escape from between the tarp and the Basecamp. I allowed 5 ft to create an overhang over the sides giving you a covered area along the Basecamp and tent; this keeps our grill table and stuff under cover during rain storms. Front to back of the tarp can be adjusted as you like but with 30 feet to play with; we had the tent under cover and another 8 -10 ft behind it for more covered space. This design held well in 2 very bad rainstorms with wind. I realize this may be hard to visualize and even harder for me to explain so if interested write us back and we can arrange to get pictures to you to better see what we have done.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
I have the tent option but keep it packed and haven't even used it yet. I prefer the popup canopy tents that you can get at Dicks sporting goods. On sale it was $87 with $10 off for the 12x12. It takes 3mins. to set up and the screenwall and sidewall attachments are cheap and easy to attach. The 12 footer is just tall enough that it fits in the groove for the BCs tent. This configuration has alot of room to leave stuff out and covered. Motorcycles, chairs for four friends, grill and my portable table fit easiely under the canopy and it gives me a room off my basecamp. I can leave the doors open on the BC and with the screen curtain walls on the canopy I don't have the bugs. I use a big piece of astroturf for the floor and it works well to keep the dust and debris from making it to the inside of the BC. All in all, I think this is a simple, lowcost, better solution for my style of camping with friends.
Bizcamp
Old 09-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #20
Rivet Gunner

2007 Base Camp
Tacoma , Washington
I have all the Kelty accessories including the tent...As to that it was expensive and the strap that wraps around the groove in the Basecamp broke on first use.The floor will get holes if you don't use an underlayment and the top will rip if you don't figure out how to secure the doors(sharp corners).
Old 02-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
2008 Base Camp
Alexandra Hills , Queensland
It seems that the poles supplied with the Kelty Basecamp tent were made too long, and in this thread, there have been reports of Kelty modifying (shortening) the poles under warranty. I'm in Australia and return of the poles just to have them shortened doesn't make too much sense. If anybody has had the mod done, could I get you to measure the poles, so I can shorten the poles on both my Basecamps, alternatively, if anyone knows the measurement, and what poles it applies to, then let me know.

Thanks for all the help in the past.

Rod
Old 05-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2006 22' Interstate
prospect , Kentucky
Dear Lokomonkey,

Looking for a basecamp and wondered if you would sell yours? Or know anyone wanting to sell?

Sincerely,

Blaine Cravens
Old 05-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2006 22' Interstate
prospect , Kentucky
Dear Friday,

Looking for a basecamp and wondered if you would sell yours? Or know anyone wanting to sell?

Sincerely,

Blaine Cravens
Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
We are considering selling ours, as my wife is due in Sept and our short-term plans might not include much Basecamping... I am in British Columbia...

We have every option for ours... tent, luggage, even a spare wheel we got from Airstream (pricey). We also have a rock deflector for the front.

Let me know... I can post some pictures...
Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #25

2006 Base Camp
Los Angeles , California
I'd be interested in taking a look at some pictures of your Basecamp. What year is it? My wife and I are consodering a cross country for LA and are looking at them.

Thanks,
Simon
Bddbllc@mac.com
Old 07-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Base Camp
We sold it a few weeks ago... There are two in Seattle area at a dealer...they want crazy money for them ($26k).
Old 07-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Las Vegas , Nevada
we are located in Las Vegas, and looking to sell, we have a new born baby, so priorities are changing......let me know if anybody is interested!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #28

2006 Base Camp
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomonkey
we are located in Las Vegas, and looking to sell, we have a new born baby, so priorities are changing......let me know if anybody is interested!
Yeah, i'm interested. In los angeles. What year is it? Color? Condition? Price? Thanks a million, Simon