Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2017, 06:46 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom P. View Post
Added runners to drawer - works just like home! Made a new drawer with thicker bottom to accept screws and dividers for my specific implements. Wanted this since day one. 22" guides juuust work. You can juuust reach to screw them down in the back, beyond the recess where the original tray sat.
Great job! That has always been one thing that's annoyed me.
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #62
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
Attachment 288058
This is our IPad Pro on a mount that can adjust. Download your movies etc and good to go
Love your iPad pro mount idea. Can you tell me the brand name of the mount you are using? This looks like a great gift for our christmas stocking
CamperGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:42 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperGirls View Post
Love your iPad pro mount idea. Can you tell me the brand name of the mount you are using? This looks like a great gift for our christmas stocking

We ordered on amazon it’s a BESTEK Gooseneck Tablet Mount. Love it
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #64
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Where did you get the handles for bathroom door?
NichoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:18 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Simple solution to prop propane cover open - bungee to door
Name:   IMG_7911.JPG
Views: 1607
Size:  86.2 KB

Name:   IMG_7912.JPG
Views: 1607
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:   IMG_7913.JPG
Views: 1558
Size:  76.7 KB
slurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #66
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogy4 View Post
Hey All - Anyone upgrade their shower head? If so, please post which one you got. I believe the hot water tank is 2.67gal and the shower head is 2.5gpm. Doesn't leave very long for even a "camper" shower or for 2 ppl who want to shower one after the other.
The usual 500-page RV dealer Accessories catalogs have a range of small products, among them a shower head hose on/off insert. Use any shower head afterwards.

The local big box may have it.

The catalogs are always worth having. The Sears Wish Book of the present era. The bigger the RV dealer the more likely it’s free. Worth a few bucks. Keep a sheet of lined paper and record page number, item, and price (high markup). If nothing else one may be inspired to fabricate or substitute any of a number of “conveniences”.

Add to the sheet anything of interest. Research on this or other forums (sailing, for instance). Consider sheet and catalog as basic reference for the subject of this thread. Go page by page, front to back. Not everything has one use, and not everything is in a section YOU expect.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #67
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Miller View Post
I added this strap to my exit door to prevent it from flying back in strong wind and breaking the front window. I believe 4 folks have had that happen. I am rather short, so this is not in my way when I get in or out. I used a horse tie-down strap from the feed store. It had a bit of bungee cord at one end.
After seeing Gail Miller’s guard to protect door in case of high winds I liked idea but tried a different approach. I used a rubber retainer installed in such a way we can use door without ducking. I drilled only one new hole adjacent to existing hole in door window frame. We disconnect clasp fastener if/when we use standard hook to keep door open all the way.
NichoII
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8EBA05E3-85AB-405C-8453-E6739395BF4B.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	301376  
Old 12-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Valley Vent Fan

Very new to this having bought new BC two weeks ago. Going over lots of things this w/e & wondered why hatch for vent fan in galley doesn’t seem to shut tightly. Wonder if threads on my opening control are stripped....I turn it counterclockwise to open but when I close it the knob begins to ratchet without adding tension as hatch closes. Is this normal or do I need to replace the black plastic screw knob that opens/closes vent. No water leaks from rain yet but it just doesn’t “feel good” when I close hatch.
Thanks for any insight you might have, Robert
Old 12-28-2017, 03:13 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by NichoII View Post
Very new to this having bought new BC two weeks ago. Going over lots of things this w/e & wondered why hatch for vent fan in galley doesn’t seem to shut tightly. Wonder if threads on my opening control are stripped....I turn it counterclockwise to open but when I close it the knob begins to ratchet without adding tension as hatch closes. Is this normal or do I need to replace the black plastic screw knob that opens/closes vent. No water leaks from rain yet but it just doesn’t “feel good” when I close hatch.
Thanks for any insight you might have, Robert
The lowering sound / action you're describing is normal. Mine does the same as many other ceiling vents I have operated.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Tucson , Arizona
30 lb Propane Tank Installation on Basecamp

Hello Basecampers,
For your information I have attached some pictures showing a 30 lb (from original 20 lb) propane tank upgrade.
I have removed the black cover and added a rain shield for the upper vent for your information (see my posts regarding refrigerator performance while on propane for more information)
Regards,
RocIngersol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	302783   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	302784  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	302785   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	302786  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	302787   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	302788  

RocIngersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #71
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungishJedi View Post
Yup. That's why we haven't upgraded to that other shower head yet. I'm sure we will upgrade in time but not just yet.
Just took our BC for first weekend trip to test things & more importantly learn things. We tried shower but very disappointed. We did not get 2+ gallons of hot water as I expected.... maybe 1-2 quarts. What are we doing wrong? We were in park with electric & water both hooked up. We were using heat so turned water temp to “boost” which we thought would prioritize hot water. Used only enough water to wet hair & suds up. During rinse water turned cold after a few seconds so rinse was done with cold water. Later tested by running hot water in sink which is hoe we guessed at about one plus quart of hot before turning cold. Do we need to take back to dealer which is six hours away or can someone tell us what we’re doing wrong?
Thanks, NichoII
Old 02-01-2018, 11:07 PM   #72
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
With shower cut-off switch on the factory handheld at 100% open I average 1.5 minutes of hot water. At 50% open I average 2.5 minutes of hot water.
slurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:19 PM   #73

2017 Basecamp
Flagstaff , Arizona
Hello. I just purchased a BC last week and have been studying this forum. While I have not yet used the water system, there is another thread that addresses your issue, and it appears to be a common one. It is unlikely your unit is defective, but more likely that you need to close your bypass valve (accessed under the driver side bench in the back of the unit). This forum addresses your issue (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...er-163299.html). Specifically, solutions show up around page 3, and post #54 has a diagram to show you what valves and what positions they should be in to get you hot water. Looks like it solved the problem for them and others. I'll be very mindful of this when I de-winterize my unit and head out soon.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
I had the same issue when I purchased my BC last year. There is a bypass valve on the driver’s side under the bench toward the back. You have to root around for it because of the insulation. Once I opened it, I got hot water.
AThiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #75
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Chandler , Arizona
I did a quick video with some of the changes we made. Some covered here and some not.

Video
AI7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #76
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks for posting your finds. Water tank diagram would be helpful too. The Bose speaker is listed as a part... I didn't get one mtc!
The '17 came with it, the '18, nope. I think the '17 came with that little awning over the side door too. My dealer said they would get me one when I bought it...but renegade on a simple $200 item after I signed.
AI7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI7R View Post
I did a quick video with some of the changes we made. Some covered here and some not.

Video

Thanks for the tips!
AThiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Tucson , Arizona
Front Exterior Glass Protection

Hello Basecampers,

RocIngersol here with another modification/hack adding front exterior glass protection to prevent glass breakage from errant rocks/debris while under tow.

Please reference attached pictures.

The total cost was bout $85 for the 0.157" plastic waterproof panels (home depot) and UV extreme outdoor Velcro tape (amazon).

The first picture shows the unit with the Velcro, followed by the panels and finally with the panels installed.

Velcro is attached to all four sides of the panels.

There is an approximate 1/4" air gap between the panels and glass and does provide good protection for flying rocks - they bounce right off. Obviously, very large rocks/debris will cause damage.

The panels are for under towing conditions only and come off while camping (put in back of pickup) or inside unit when stored.

Just sharing information.

Best Regards,

RocIngersol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3441.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	518.5 KB
ID:	304767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3443.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	481.3 KB
ID:	304768  

Name:	IMG_3446.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	304769  
RocIngersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:40 AM   #79
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Added runners to drawer - works just like home! Made a new drawer with thicker bottom to accept screws and dividers for my specific implements. Wanted this since day one. 22" guides juuust work. You can juuust reach to screw them down in the back, beyond the recess where the original tray sat.

Thanks for this. I finally got around to doing this too, but I did it without making a new tray and the rear mounting holes on my 22” slides could not make it across the recess. But I got it to work: https://troyandgay.com/2018/03/10/ba...rawer-sliders/

Thanks again!
TroyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Ok, I have a low-tech Basecamp hack - a removable screen for the bathroom shower pull-through. I’m sure someone with better skills than I could improve upon it.

Problem: When the bathroom door is closed, running the ventilation fan in the bathroom is ineffective since there is no air flow (due to seal around door). Opening the shower pull-through creates ventilation, but also allows mosquitoes and other critters access to the bathroom.

Solution: I bought a 10x5-inch frame (business license size), removed the glass, cut a hole through the frame backing with a box cutter (difficult), 
Name:   IMG_1510.JPG
Views: 1453
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:   IMG_1512.JPG
Views: 1372
Size:  95.1 KB
and inserted a double layer of mosquito netting into the frame. Velcro was used to hold the frame in place in the pull-through space.

The main downside to this is the frame is not water-proof. I may paint it with some Thompson’s water seal later. The frame was about $12, plus a few bucks for Velcro and mosquito net. 
Name:   IMG_0967.JPG
Views: 1414
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:   IMG_0965.JPG
Views: 1409
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:   IMG_0966.JPG
Views: 1310
Size:  100.2 KB
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote