Old 05-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
aka "Bambi's Dad"
2011 25' FB International
Santa Clarita , California

I certainly "Get It", but the price seems to scare people off. If it was 18k or even 20k I think it would be flying out the door. I would love to have one besides my Bambi, but I don't think my Polaris Ranger would fit in it anyway.

What I would use it for would be as a hauler for my motorcycle and as a mobile shop on tour behind the bus. Maybe Airstream would wanna sponsor a Poison tour?

Originally Posted by JerryMcMunn
Hi AgZep,

You are right, it's a different paradigm. I think you "get it" but based on our experience the market is much broader than most people seem to perceive.
The many people asking for tours seem to be 40+ and are interested in a less complex sewage to deal with, no special hitches, no need for a big tow vehicle. One owner with whom we have communicated is an artist who wants to take herself and her products to flea markets in it.
I think AS has underestimated its flexibility and the breadth of market appeal. Finally, I agree that it is good to see AS introducing a completely new product that has the potential of being appealing to a broader (& perhaps more youthful) market segment.

AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Yep, They are spendy but they do fill a niche a traditional Airstream does not cover.

If I wanted to haul my Harly around to take rides in areas it would be boring to ride to and also have a place to sleep one of these would be perfect.

If Airstream wants a lower entry level Unit they could bring back Argosy and aim it at that market.

I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Yep, I agree

I agree with your evaluation and add that the particular niche filled by the BaseCamp is filled by no one but AS. The niche I refer to is that of a toy hauler with more than modest camping facilities for two that can be pulled by a low power tow vehicle. We tow our BaseCamp with a six-cylander gasoline powered Honda Ridgeline and haul my 1100cc Honda Shadow Spirit motorcycle. If you add the optional tent, it can easily sleep 3-4 more.

Our experience is that people not interested in hauling toys are interested in the BaseCamp as a more than modest camping trailer without the complexity of larger and heavier units. I hope this information is interesting and informative.

JerryMcMunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Hey Martinto

My wife and I are in our early sixtys and our experience is largely the same as yours. I'm glad to hear we are not a one of a kind.

We continue to believe that AS has underestimated the demand by people like us. So far, we have been swamped at every stop by members of this group wanting tours of our BaseCamp.

JerryMcMunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I think Jerry has made an excellent observation. The Base Camp seemed to be sort of intended for the younger crowd, but is actually appealing to all kinds of folks who want a simpler, more mobile type of RV. Airstream may have opened up an unanticipated market segment with it.

I've always thought that businesses that concentrate on keeping up with their competition are doomed; it's not enough to expand your market share within a segment, but better to generate entirely new segments.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Bravo y'all! Buy it used and you cut the price in half. It does "stop traffic" wherever it goes. It is very roomy inside and I even modified the benches so that you can sleep down the sides (i'm 6"1") and have the center open to traffic. It can hold the biggest of bikes or a couple Vintagers. Wally had it right early on. Look at the early pictures of the Airstream before it was an Airstream. When he bot the previous biz they were making trailers and the first model had doors in the back. Airstream is the real deal when it comes to innovation. Toyhaulers owe their heritage to the predecessor of Airstream Inc.
Hauls like a dream and you don't need a landing permit to park it.
If you've never spent time in one, you don't know what you're missing.
The "kitchen sink" crowd has forgotten the fun of efficiency!
I am 49 and very active, it ain't the age that determines the activity!
We are all airstreamers, get out and have fun!

bizcamp is offline   Reply With Quote