Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Arkansas
Base camp with a 2 year old?!?

Am I crazy?!
Been watching these forums for a good while and I love the BC. I took my wife to see it, expecting her to head directly to a 23 footer but I got the "it's better than a tent" so that's a win for me!

Does anyone here have a BC with a little one and how doable is it? Use a pack n play on the floor (looks to be good space for it)?

Yeah I know the sport is probably the smarter choice and I'll probably end up with it or a small FC but hope there are a few folk out here making it work in a BC to give me hope!

Waiting for the 18s regardless after all the issues anyways. We would be 3-4 day weekenders using the AS.

Dustin
dparker701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Not a direct answer to your questions, but I do have some insight for your consideration.

Kids grow up fast. Plan your spaces for the big kid they will quickly become.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Not a direct answer to your questions, but I do have some insight for your consideration.

Kids grow up fast. Plan your spaces for the big kid they will quickly become.

Totally agree! I know people always advise buy the trailer you're going to want.

Honestly the big part of staying small and buying something I know we will out grow in 4-5 years is to make sure it's something my wife loves as much as I do.

I also don't want to have to upgrade my TW for something larger yet. (Frontier with towing package).

Rather spend 35k and decide we don't like it a few years down the line than 70k and decide it's not for us. I know I won't get any financial planning gigs with that thought process but that's where I'm at

Dustin
Old 05-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Base camp with a 2 year old?!?

My thoughts are you can do just fine IF you don't mind sharing a bed... there's room for that for times to come. Pack and play? No way. We have a 60 lb dog with a low profile small bed on the floor that is in the way in that small of space so I don't see the pack n play working. Just be ready to spend the majority of your time out doors and use the BC for sleeping. Also another thing to consider is bath time in a wet bath. Still all doable and fun but you are not going to have the space or luxury that you may crave later on but it all depends on the kind of comping you want to do. I personally camp for the outdoors. We have 3 "kids" 26 20 and 17 if they want to go, which sometimes the younger two do, they know where the tents are and I don't have to sleep on the ground anymore!! I see where your'e at but still think it thru...
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yeah... find a nearby rally... drop in. Contact the rally lead and ask if you can come... you will have a place for lots of opinions... ER... data for your decision process...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
In 2008 with a new little one and a 2 year old we looked pretty hard at the original basecamp. Then we walked through a 25' CCD six sleeper, bought that and haven't looked back

We take our kids' friends camping with us too all the time and enjoy the space that a larger unit provides, especially on rainy days.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's good to think of spending most of your time outside, but imagine rainy days and other inclement weather, where your little one cannot be outside and does not have an outlet for all that physical energy.

A Base Camp seems small for camping with a toddler, in my opinion.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2017, 05:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If you are experienced tent campers, setting up a detached main tent as a base of operations for outdoor cooking and so forth, could let the Basecamp be an aluminum tent for sleeping, toilet, and naps for everyone.

Without this additional tent, the BC will be too small for your needs IMO, at least I would not go there! YMMV

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Piggy summarized it succinctly: Kids grow up fast....note the almost inevitable plural. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Arkansas
Thanks for the feedback everyone!! [emoji4]
Old 05-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparker701 View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone!! [emoji4]
So.. where are the pictures???
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Resale value

I didn't see resale value mentioned. I might be wrong, but I think the BC isn't in as much demand as the larger units. I know they make fewer of them, so I'm assuming it's because of the lack of demand and not because AS is missing the market.

So if you get a BC and then grow out of it, you will have to try to sell it. On the other hand if you get a 20 - 23 foot unit, especially with a dry bath, you will have no trouble selling it should you decide it wasn't for you.

That is the primary reason we got our AS in the first place. Heaven knows we could have gotten a plain old trailer for a lot less, but those things lose a lot of their value along the way.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:14 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparker701 View Post
Totally agree! I know people always advise buy the trailer you're going to want.

Honestly the big part of staying small and buying something I know we will out grow in 4-5 years is to make sure it's something my wife loves as much as I do.

I also don't want to have to upgrade my TW for something larger yet. (Frontier with towing package).

Rather spend 35k and decide we don't like it a few years down the line than 70k and decide it's not for us. I know I won't get any financial planning gigs with that thought process but that's where I'm at

Dustin
Of course there is the possibility that if the solution you pick is so small you have nothing but frustration, is that going to predetermine that you won't like it a few years down the road? Could a more costly solution with more space mean you will love it instead?

If you like tenting, then you will probably like the BC or any other unit you choose... but I am not sure I can read that into your wife's comment!
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
Of course there is the possibility that if the solution you pick is so small you have nothing but frustration, is that going to predetermine that you won't like it a few years down the road? Could a more costly solution with more space mean you will love it instead?

If you like tenting, then you will probably like the BC or any other unit you choose... but I am not sure I can read that into your wife's comment!
If I may expand on this topic a bit.

One of the pleasures of having an Airstream that works for your family's needs is that it makes camping easier/less work.

A big part of the "work" of tent camping is moving all of the stuff around, packing, remembering, cleaning up, and storing away all of the stuff.

For us, we chose a 22 over the 16 for several reasons. The biggest reason aside from the size of the bed was the markedly different amount of storage.

My vision of a satisfying trailering experience meant for us, that anything used inside the trailer would have a place to be stored properly in the trailer. What I mean is that we don't keep anything in the vehicle that is used in the trailer.

We have storage space in our bathroom for all of the items used there. All toiletries in the bathroom, full set of towels, hair dryer, first aid kit, cleaning supplies, makeup set, trash can.

In the galley space and dinette we have room for all of our dishes, utensils, cooking equipment, hot pads, towels, dish pans, pots and pans, dish soap, foil, baggies, some coffee equipment, and bar ware.

In the overhead bins we have space for 2 lantern flashlights, DVDs, CDs, cups, thermos, spices and more coffee equipment, and portable radio and speaker.

The bed is fully made at all times. With fabulous pillows, nice comforter, soft sheets.

Under the bed we have room to store extra food and beverages for a 10 day trip, and extra paper towels, tp, tool kit, and owners manuals.

On our counter we have room for 2 stacked pic nic baskets with crackers, chips, fruit, etc.

In the closet all of our clothes for a 10 day trip fit. Inside the closet door we have a hanging rack that holds trash bags, table cloth, sunscreen, bug spray, matches, doggie bags.

A softside cooler fits under the dinette (even when it's down made up as a bed, which we do for lounging during the day or when our adult daughter comes with us).

We can have the trailer clean and dry and put away, but the bed is made, the spices are in the cabinet, there is TP in the bathroom.

So on Friday afternoon we load up our clothes in the closet. Bring the pic nic baskets (we also use a larger cooler which we keep outside or in the truck), and our outside gear and we are ready to go.

On Sunday when we get back, we have a large bag with dirty towels to bring home to clean, and our worn clothes, and the cooler and pic nic baskets. That's pretty much all of the clean up after a trip.

In the vehicle we have all of the gear used outside. Zero gravity chairs, small weber grill, charcoal, fire wood, and the large cooler.

This has worked well for us and helps minimize the work of moving things around a lot.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:08 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
It sounds kind of romantic....! Ask the teardrop owners, bet they would think the BC was a mansion. If you can keep your stuff and 'kid gear' to a minimum and don't mind the coziness then go for it. But, you have a pack and play .... that's already a lot. Mark off the space of the base camp in your home, see if you could stay in that for awhile. I can't remember where I heard this but 'if you want to find out if you can live in an RV with a spouse try spending a weekend together in your bathroom'.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good advice, but do it with a pouring rainstorm outside!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote