Old 09-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #29
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I know you're not crying over spilt milk. You would have been had you sold at that ridiculous price. What you did is the best of what economists call "marginal thinking". To a layman, that sounds like a putdown. But it is not - it means that you are making the decision based on what exists now - not what costs are invested or any other factor - just, "what is the best way to spend the next dollar". You have done well. A lot of folks would have just punted. They are the ones who would be crying.

Pat

Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #30
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
They did use a window A/C for future ease of replacements.
I cannot see a ramp anywhere, only steps.
Is there a fold down ?

Old 09-15-2007, 12:22 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
Sell it at 27, rebuy it at 13, resell it at 19. I want an income like that. Reminds me of buying and selling college books. Lost of Profit in their plan here. Really too bad too, too much money, and sound like Airstream farmed out the name. You are right about using a company like Coleman to make something like this work. That would have been an awesome partnership. I have a couple of their stainless steel coolers, built like a tank. Maybe the 2008 models will have changes for the better. Other than the price, I do like the idea behind the Basecamp. Being fair, these are just my own thoughts, as we have looked into getting one for my son. I love my Airstreams, and have bonded with them. So in no way would I want to insult those who bought these and love them. Just as I put thought into what I like , but is too big for me or too small, others have gone with units that suit them. So I guess it should be said "Live and let Airstream" go forth and have Fun.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:09 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yes use both. I would love a Base Camp in addition to our larger trailer. You have the newest most innovative Airstream and you will find so many ways to enjoy it. You will not see too many of them I bet. They are so unique. Might think of making it commercial for photo shoots, a traveling coffee or cocktail bar for the rallies or even sandwiches and refreshments. That's what i would do with it some of the time! I would really.

I think the design is stellar and you can get it to go anywhere. That is very very cool.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Airstream should have taken a look at some of the African and Australian outback trailers like in my eariler post. These companies have been doing it for years and getting it right.The base camp looks good on the outside but thats about all it has going for it. It didn't have to be a loser, but the way the interior and add on tent is designed , it is. It might be a good base to start with and create your own interior but at $27,000.00 you could buy a much better designed off road tow behind in stainless steel with galvanize chassis ,have it impotrted and have money left over to stock it.Whoever said "style over substance" hit the nail on the head.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #34
Rivet Master

I checked out a base camp.

It is possibly the coolest most expensive utility trailer available. The design reminicent of the earliest Airstream prototype. Very cool. A very nice, second
trailer for rich people. But check out the weight. It weighs as much as my
20 footer that has a kitchen and bathroom. Question.....Is it even made
in Ohio??????????????????????????
Old 09-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
I asked earlier in this thread "What do you think Wally would have thought of the Basecamp?" Another member replied that he would have approved. I would have to agree he would have approved of the concept, but I am betting the Airstream follow through would have been much different. In all my reading on him, he was research and developement. Many things were tested by him to be used in future Airstream models. It seems Nissan should have used a group of hard core Airstream campers in bringing this product to completion. The tent would have worked differently, along with other changes. You know what I love about my older Airstream best? It was designed with common sense based on its intended use. Granted my Flying Cloud can't haul Toys like the Basecamp, but its good solid Airstream Product that sits on my property being 48 years old and still a useable trailer. If Wally had been on the team to bring you the Basecamp I am sure it would have been slightly different. Remember from back then all Airstreams had a lifetime warrenty. I hope that Airstream has used the comments on here and from dealer repairs to go back to the drawing board and bring about changes on the Basecamp. Me personally I would like to see the Basecamp stick around, it really is pretty cool it just needs some common sense changes.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #36

2007 Base Camp
glen allen , Virginia
A little love for Base Camp

Looks like a lot of traditionals are posting negativity on the basecamp. The most important thing here is, maybe it is NOT for you? There is a market for the trailer, whether big or small, there is and someone even stated they might have bought one in the past. As for pricing, how can you compare it to anything? I own one, love it, it serves it purpose, but honestly, I think ALL Airstreams are OVERPRICED. The "coolness" factor is definitely there, I've experienced nothing negative with my basecamp, it is high quality, fits a large motorcycle in there, has plenty of storage space when utilizing all the Kelty options, is comfortable, easy to maneuver, easy to trailer, low maintenance, etc. All I can say, is if your bashing it, the trailer is not for you and Airstream did not design it for you.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Evidently someone in Grand Marais, Michigan on Lake Superior owns a Base Camp. I took this picture there at a condo on the harbor, not at the campground.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
I like the idea and looks, but the price tag is quite alarming. I think they missed the mark on who would use these. The ad shows a whitewater kayak in one. We did the WW kayak thing prior to having child and it's just the nature of the beast, but most WW boaters are cheap, cheap and cheaper. Most will tent it in the cheapest campground they can find and will cartop the boats. I think we'll see it be discontinued after two years of production. It does look cool though, but price vs. functionality just doesn't match.

Cheers,

Doug
Old 09-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I agree with you Doug.
This week we were cruising around the local A/S lot and looked in a base camp. I tend to be cheap too (Out of necessity most times), it looks to me like you could take an enclosed cargo trailer, spend a day or two upgrading it with a portapotty and a hidabed, maybe an A/C unit, and have a cheap version for under $5K. For $10K you could really trick it out, and it's still aluminum.
Dave
Old 09-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #40
New to Airstreaming!

Currently Looking...
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
They did use a window A/C for future ease of replacements.
I cannot see a ramp anywhere, only steps.
Is there a fold down ?
The back folds down to a ramp/steps

The twin beds fold up so that you can park an ATV inside.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
I think that it could end up with some sort of cult status as a vendor/festival trailer. It would certainly draw people over to what you were vending to just check it out. Love the looks, just don't like the price tag or weight. Oh yeah, that's another issue.. if I remember correctly the GVWR on it doesn't allow for much heavy cargo. One good sized motorcycle may put you over the mark. If I can dig up some data I'll follow up with a post.

Cheers,

Doug
Old 10-03-2007, 02:53 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pearland , Texas
based on airstream's website:

NCC Net Carrying Capacity W/out options or fluids = 1285
(if I'm translating that correctly)

doesn't seem like a lot of weight once you put all your stuff in there. I don't have a motorcycle, don't know how much they weigh. most i would put is a 4-wheeler, and a 4 wheeler is about 750, so that doesn't leave a whole lot more. Hard to imagine if my gear would weigh over 500 or not. i have a full size pickup so quite a bit of weight can be in the bed instead of the BC.

by the way, I'm new to the forum. have been searching for info on the basecamp. Seriously considering buying one. guess i'm the stereotype that was described earlier. 28 years old, weekend warrior. 90% of it's use would be weekend trips where I haul tail to one place on friday and stay there all weekend and then come back. i travel and compete/hunt with my german shorthaired pointer and usually take a 4-wheeler, so i've been roughing it with just a tent. this is still roughing it but still a step up, definitely don't mind the roughing it, that's part of the enjoyment.

I know it is expensive but I can't seem to find anything else at any price range that fits what i want. I want something that will go with me anywhere my 4x4 will go. And prior to reading all the posts on here about the BC i had assumed I would be getting what i paid for in airstream quality, but I'm questioning that now.