Old 09-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Hello airsick - Welcome to the AirForums.

I see this is your second post and the first one was about your need to sell your Basecamp. Good Luck in selling it, and when you do can you please post the difference in purchase price and your selling price. I would be interested in how others find a used Basecamp and the resale value of such.

I feel that at one point in my life the Basecamp would have been a perfect fit but now find the full size campers much more comfortable.

Good Luck and have a safe journey to Mexico.
Let me speak a little from experience here...

The Basecamp is a great little trailer for camping, it's less than stellar for traveling (i.e., lots of one night stays). Sure, if your going to stay in one spot for a few days, you can easily justify setting up the tent and making a nice, comfy base to operate from. On the other hand, if you're driving 10 hours a day and want to pick up again and move out pronto in the morning, the tent isn't the fast track to getting back on the road.

We paid about $27K for our Basecamp last November at Colonial. We investigated buying a 20' Safari (new) when we were in Ohio in August, the dealer only offered us $13K for our trailer in trade. He also didn't want the tent or other the Kelty stuff, just the trailer. We almost made the deal, but as luck would have it, the financing didn't work out as we would have liked. A few weeks ago, I took our Basecamp back to Colonial for more warranty work. While I was there, I looked at another 20' Safari. Colonial also offered me $13K for the Basecamp.

No way, no how, not gonna happen.

I'm now in the process of buying a spiffy 1972 20' Argosy (found on the classifieds here). So... I'm going to keep my Basecamp and use it as it was intended, but have the Argosy for when we want to travel instead of go camping for a 3+ day weekend. For what we're paying for the Argosy, we'll have plenty of funds available for a new exterior paint job, changing the flooring and fabrics to exactly what we want, and still not come close to spending the amount of money we would have lost on the Basecamp had we traded it in for a new trailer. Since the Argosy already has all new running gear, a new rooftop AC unit, and a grey water tank added, the hard work is already done.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Basecamp (in spite of the troubles I've posted about in prior threads). It should be coming home from Colonial soon (they had to get some parts from the Mother Ship). It'll look real nice next to the Argosy in the driveway...

BTW - The dealer in Ohio showed me the "book", trade in value on the 07 Basecamp IS $13K, retail for a used unit is $19K. Seems to me that there is a considerable difference in those figures. Considering the trouble we've had with our trailer, had Colonial offered me $19K for the Basecamp, I wouldn't be buying the Argosy, I'd have the Safari in my driveway right now. Just as well, from all of the complaints I read about the newer units (and my own experiences), I'd rather have a vintage trailer.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:54 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
It all goes to your needs. I find that true of our Flying Cloud ( a weekend warrior) and our Tradewind (more sleeper friendly for family use). Although I can't see myself making use of a Basecamp, I think the are pretty cool. I have been watching them on Ebay for maybe buying one for my son. He keeps asking me to take my Flying Cloud and so far I have been putting that off. In his case he has a motor bike to take with, and likes the idea of toy hauling and camping from the Basecamp. Buying used seems to make sense over new, the value drop of anything new to being used the moment it leaves the dealer lot is an unexceptable loss to me. At least I can say I won't lose too much value on my 59 Flying Cloud, at 48 years old, now it's vintage instead of just old or used. I am a pack rat, might be fun to have a Basecamp to go to garage sales, but then I would bring home more stuff I dont really need. Although a Base camp is almost 7 times (new cost) what I paid for my lil Flying Cloud, I dont really want to let it go with anyone else, I have bonded with it and can not replace it. Plus for me opening the door to rough it in the tailer is much easier than the Basecamp set up. Just a thought here, if Thor had made the Basecamp under some other name other than Airstream, based on how it is built being the same, do you think the new price would be more than $17, 000.00? What do you think Wally would have thought of it? I also wonder what he would have thought of any of the Airstreams designed and built after his passing, not just the Basecamp.

Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaroid
<snip> Just a thought here, if Thor had made the Basecamp under some other name other than Airstream, based on how it is built being the same, do you think the new price would be more than $17, 000.00? What do you think Wally would have thought of it? I also wonder what he would have thought of any of the Airstreams designed and built after his passing, not just the Basecamp.
Probably under $17K. Check out this little guy http://www.yourrvwizard.com/trailers...~521/RV521.asp .

We saw one of these at a campground near Dayton back in August. It was being pulled by a Toyota Camry, without any problems.

As for what Wally would have thought...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 09-14-2007, 08:42 AM   #18
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Base Camp DOA

Well, for all those folks that did buy a Base Camp, hang onto it; it will be a collector item. This will be the last year for the unit. Although it was a very cool looking unit and did fill a nich, not enough buyers with really deep pockets. There was a lot of excitement and sales when first introduced but the novelty wore off too quickly.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler
Probably under $17K. Check out this little guy http://www.yourrvwizard.com/trailers...~521/RV521.asp .

We saw one of these at a campground near Dayton back in August. It was being pulled by a Toyota Camry, without any problems.

As for what Wally would have thought...
I like those and had once seen one in a campground. I note with special interest the in wall mounted commercially available (WALMART) cheap AC unit that requires no special service tech to install if (WHEN) it goes out. What a great idea, hummmmm - couldn't there be a AC cabinet in an Airstream for this same idea.....
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
What do you think Wally would have thought of it [the Basecamp]?
I think he would have liked it. Wally was an avid outdoorsman, and he told friends Airstream would always built a small weekend get-away trailer that a fisherman or hunter could tow to his favorite remote spot. And from 1948 to 1963 he built the Wee Wind, Clipper, Bubble, Pacer and Bambi, fulfilling that promise. Airstream continued to build the Caravel through 1971. Wally also liked bicycles, mopeds and small scooters. As off-road motorized vehicles have recently increased in size, utility and usage, they have been adopted by many outdoorsmen, especially hunters. I think Wally would have accommodated these small vehicles in a family manner. The Basecamp is an ingenious blend of toy hauler and small trailer for remote area get-away camping. It can be used by traditional outdoors folks: backpackers, peak-baggers, rock-climbers, canoeists, cross-country skiers, as well as by people pursuing newer outdoor sports that didn't exist in Wally's time: off road bicyclists, motocross, extreme skiers, and hang gliders (Hawley Bowlus would be running off ledges and catching updrafts). I think Wally would approve.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Well, for all those folks that did buy a Base Camp, hang onto it; it will be a collector item. This will be the last year for the unit. Although it was a very cool looking unit and did fill a nich, not enough buyers with really deep pockets. There was a lot of excitement and sales when first introduced but the novelty wore off too quickly.
I have to agree, if you bought one, hang on to it. The only way to get your moneys worth out of it is to use it and enjoy it. Someday the rest of the world will understand it, and all want one too. I have not seen one other than here online, but maybe one of these days. Twenty-five years from now they will be going on e-bay as Vintage.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
I think he would have liked it. Wally was an avid outdoorsman, and he told friends Airstream would always built a small weekend get-away trailer that a fisherman or hunter could tow to his favorite remote spot. And from 1948 to 1963 he built the Wee Wind, Clipper, Bubble, Pacer and Bambi, fulfilling that promise. Airstream continued to build the Caravel through 1971. Wally also liked bicycles, mopeds and small scooters. As off-road motorized vehicles have recently increased in size, utility and usage, they have been adopted by many outdoorsmen, especially hunters. I think Wally would have accommodated these small vehicles in a family manner. The Basecamp is an ingenious blend of toy hauler and small trailer for remote area get-away camping. It can be used by traditional outdoors folks: backpackers, peak-baggers, rock-climbers, canoeists, cross-country skiers, as well as by people pursuing newer outdoor sports that didn't exist in Wally's time: off road bicyclists, motocross, extreme skiers, and hang gliders (Hawley Bowlus would be running off ledges and catching updrafts). I think Wally would approve.
For use I would fully agree with you, but I do think he would have made it more affordable. Where the Basecamp is not for everyone, it has a place in the camping world. I know my son really wants one for all the reasons it was designed. Working out bugs on new products like this are to be expected. The overall concept on the Basecamp works well, if Airstream/Thor made a mistake on this it would be in the price of a new unit. If you figure the price of it compared to one of their smaller trailers, the Basecamp is too much. But all this said, I think its a pretty cool toy, and if my needs were different I would be using something like it. Plus each of us loves our Airstreams for different reasons, and I support anyone who wishes to own any type of unit. Goal here is to make use of your Airstream and have fun with it.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
It just seems to be to much money for what it is. Sure it looks cool but can you fit an ATV in there? How about a Vespa?The interior leaves a LOT to be desired.I'd spend my money on one of these before I'd buy a Basecamp. stainless steel and a lot less expensive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	45342   Click image for larger version

Name:	DWS00208_W400.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	45343  

Click image for larger version

Name:	llf_kitchen_1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	45344  
Old 09-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
It just seems to be to much money for what it is. Sure it looks cool but can you fit an ATV in there? How about a Vespa?The interior leaves a LOT to be desired.I'd spend my money on one of these before I'd buy a Basecamp. stainless steel and a lot less expensive
Craftsman, I had looked at one of those (online) years ago when I went bow hunting allot in CO. Very well thought out, I believe they were designed by an Australian company for use in the outback. Rugged and towable by a small SUV - they had and still have allot going for them.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
<snip>The overall concept on the Basecamp works well, if Airstream/Thor made a mistake on this it would be in the price of a new unit. <snip>
Another mistake is a little too much style over substance. I think a lot of that comes from the inexperience in camper design of the designers at Nissan and that Airstream has never made a tent camper before. There are a lot of things we did to our Basecamp to improve the basic utility of the trailer, things that A/S should have done, functional window screens being first on the list. There is also the issue of the tent to trailer interface being less than stellar, though Liz and I have worked out a good workable solution. The gap between the bottom of the trailer and the tent inside the quarter panels is still a sore spot with me. I'm going to address that with something more permanent than our quick fix when the trailer comes back from Colonial. I have to wonder if Kelty had an actual production version of the trailer available to them when they designed the tent, it sure doesn't fit like they did.

If Airstream had partnered with Coleman in the design and marketing (not to mention pricing), I believe you'd see a ton of Basecamps on the road. Airstream really screwed the pooch with their marketing of the Basecamp. When we were out at the factory, there were a lot of them sitting in the lot with nowhere to go...

TAC - NJ-007

Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
I almost forgot...

Those stupid little dot shaped backrests for the benches are useless. They do nothing but get in the way. The magnets that hold them to the plates on the wall aren't strong enough to hold them while traveling, so they wind up on the floor or on top of your other gear. We tend to leave them at home now. A/S would have been better off making a back cushion that becomes part of the bed...

TAC - NJ-007

Old 09-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #27
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think that the numbers Bob mentioned is the real issue here. How can a dealer sell a product new at retail less discount (which I assume Bob Fowler got), then offer only 50 cents on the dollar a year later.

The answer is pretty clear: The product is way overpriced for its market. It counts on the Airstream cachet and an eager buyer, who is certain in his heart that it is what he wants. Then, later, when the usefulness is finally clear, there is no market to allow you to bail. This is the worst kind of pump-and-dump. My sympathies to you, Bob.

I completely agree with your response - get a good rig at a good price and make a point to use both as please.

Pat
Old 09-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
I think that the numbers Bob mentioned is the real issue here. How can a dealer sell a product new at retail less discount (which I assume Bob Fowler got), then offer only 50 cents on the dollar a year later.
More like 9 months, almost to the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
The answer is pretty clear: The product is way overpriced for its market. It counts on the Airstream cachet and an eager buyer, who is certain in his heart that it is what he wants. Then, later, when the usefulness is finally clear, there is no market to allow you to bail. This is the worst kind of pump-and-dump. My sympathies to you, Bob.

I completely agree with your response - get a good rig at a good price and make a point to use both as please.

Pat
Thanks Pat. Never fear, we'll still use it a lot, but I'm not going to give it away to the dealer and lose my shirt. I'll be very happy, thank you, using it with the tent at the local state parks for 3 day weekend getaways. My oldest son and his family will get plenty of use of it as well, so I'm not crying over spilt milk here.

TAC - NJ-007