Old 09-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Inflated sticker prices..

I think they are putting inflated sticker prices on all new rigs to allow the dealers to put a "great deal" together. When I bought my 05 Safari 30, granted these were not exactly jumping off of the lots I managed to get 23% off sticker price without much difficulty.

It is disturbing to see units sitting on dealer lots for over a year for sure though, I wonder how many people are scared off before even negotiating?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Before I'd even consider a Base Camp, which in my opinion is down right ugly. I'd look at one of these. www.campausa.com for half the price. All stainless steel construction.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Basecamp was mine!

Finger Lakes BMW Rally in Watkins Glen N.Y?
That was my BC. Had 40-50 visitors and an overwhelmingly positive
response to the new kid on the block. Everyone that looked at it had never seen one before and thought it was cooool!
Approx. 300 BCs have been built to date...looks like the line is at an end.
Yes, these ASs are expensive if bot retail but half price if bot used. Buy used and you won't get abused! You can have whatever opinion you want but ignorance shows...try to live and let live... if it's not yours, why does it matter? I didn't buy it to impress you, I bot it because it fit me. I'm single and it didn't hurt my chances if you catch my drift!
This is one slick can, don't forget the BC design is the heir to the original
design (read Torpedo) the twinkie is a direct effect of "Bigger is better" attitude of the 50s. Usually, the first copy is the purest form. Evolution changes things and variety is good. I put up with ya'll hoggin the spaces, I'm just a little less interested in "More." Go with what you need and spare the excess! Go green, go lite! Less is More!
P.S. the bubbling was the front rock guard and I pulled that by accident thinking it was caulking gone wild.

Enjoy diversity, and decency,
Bizcamp
Old 09-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Dude,
It's an elevated tent! Airstreamers need a door with hinges!
It's unique, I gotta give you that! Did you say ugly?
To each his own!

Bizcamp
Old 09-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Well, it's a radical departure from what Airstreams are normally thought of, and so it's bound to stir up opinions, but obviously it appeals very much to some segments of the market. That's why they make Airstreams in all sizes.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Welcome to the AirForums, Bizcamp! I love the BC design....I was looking to buy a teardrop trailer at one point, before jumping into the AS 30' Classic. Compared to the newer teardrops, I don't consider the BC any more overpriced than anything else produced by Airstream In fact, I would love to own one in addition to the AS....

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-05-2008, 06:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcamp View Post
Finger Lakes BMW Rally in Watkins Glen N.Y?
That was my BC. Had 40-50 visitors and an overwhelmingly positive
response to the new kid on the block. Everyone that looked at it had never seen one before and thought it was cooool!
Approx. 300 BCs have been built to date...looks like the line is at an end.
Yes, these ASs are expensive if bot retail but half price if bot used. Buy used and you won't get abused! You can have whatever opinion you want but ignorance shows...try to live and let live... if it's not yours, why does it matter? I didn't buy it to impress you, I bot it because it fit me. I'm single and it didn't hurt my chances if you catch my drift!
This is one slick can, don't forget the BC design is the heir to the original
design (read Torpedo) the twinkie is a direct effect of "Bigger is better" attitude of the 50s. Usually, the first copy is the purest form. Evolution changes things and variety is good. I put up with ya'll hoggin the spaces, I'm just a little less interested in "More." Go with what you need and spare the excess! Go green, go lite! Less is More!
P.S. the bubbling was the front rock guard and I pulled that by accident thinking it was caulking gone wild.

Enjoy diversity, and decency,
Bizcamp
Hi Bizcamp; I believe that I need to clarify my misunderstood by you statements. First of all the BC we saw was in Painted Post NY not in Watkins Glenn. This one had a new issued plate. It was closed up and no one was around to show us the interior. It was not my intention to critique your or any one's choice. Each of us have a different need and taste. I just figured that for $30K they should have review few different designs before using one from Roman Era. On the other side, some like you may like it and you have the right to your likes and dislikes. Please chill out if you can, because my post was not aimed at your unit or your taste. I just felt that for the money the BC should have had some some resemblance to Airstream quality. I do not see where ignorance was projected in my post, and I do not understand how can less be more, nor what it has to do with the post. Why are you upset with others about space hugging? We pay for that space and it is a big big country. Try to keep in mind that my post had nothing to do with you personally. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 09-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Hey Boatdoc,
No problem, I appreciate your post and you are absolutely spot on with the overpriced nature of Airstreams. The Basecamp is what I am familiar with for my first brush with quality the Airstream way. I agree that the fit and finish could be improved alot. I am used to swisswatch type fit and finish and tend to be detail oriented (read Rolex, BMW motorcycles, Honda Ridgeline etc.) I would not pay full boat for the product...I have the frugal bug and get a kick out of finding "the deal." I did not intend to be abrasive just poking fun at the whole opinion thing. I guess without the body language, face to face, it is harder to see my s--- eating grin when I write. I'm pretty laid back and love the passion you Streamers have for this piece of Americana.
I'm in and if you are an Streamer, you're all good!

Sincerely,
BizCamp
Old 09-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
Nice! Warbler5,
You're right, they are all overpriced, except the used ones!
Basecamps are final at 300 copies, check my other BC posts.
The bottom line is find a slightly used one and buy it 45% off list and you
will like it for the convience of size and it'll turn the heads!

Sweet,
BizCamp
Old 09-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
More Collectible

Think of it this way, the fewer BC's that are made will make them all the more collectible down the road in 30-40 years.....so take good care of your BC so it will be a terrific "Vintage" find someday. I personally think they look sleek.......and they do a good job of doing what they are built to do......enjoy......pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
There is a family resemblance between a BC and the very first AS. zz
Old 09-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
Cypress , Texas
The BC is a good choice for some

Each observation and opinion of the Basecamp has merit...pricey...yes, but when I saw the pre launch pictures and very flexibile features and functions...I was pretty well sold. Probably got one of the 1st ones to hit Houston. Had the frutrations of a new product with local dealer warranty service lacking in any experience...but they continued to make the adjustments...mostly the seals around the doors. After a couple of visits, found I can do most any repair as well if not better with a little common sense and ingenuity.

The two contributing factors was that it is a lightweight unit that I can comfortabley pull with an in line 6 SUV, and I can roll a 800+ lb Harley in the back, and head on down the highway.

No regrets...generates lots of interest at camp sites...meets our needs for the type of camping and length of stays we prefer. Roll out the tent extension and we have ample room for us and our gear. AC is a plus but a little stressed under "hot" conditions. My wife made inserts for the ceiling fan and ceiling window which deflects the heat.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
I think the BC was a great concept especially for a first time buyer but the price has made it as far out of reach as most Airstream products. It would seem to me the BC should have been a lure for future airstream owners, hook them in their 20's move them up into more expensive more luxurious products as they get older. It looks like the BC priced itself out of the market and out of business. I do think they are pretty cool looking and with gas prices so high they may have had a niche if priced within reason, too bad....

63silver