Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Wisconsin
Appealing to Women/Wives?

My wife is not interested in a Basecamp (she wants a Sport 16 or an FC19). I am interested in a Basecamp. Could I get a shout out from any women who enjoy camping out of a Basecamp and why? Could I get a shout out from husbands who have happy wives camping in a Basecamp and why?
Twitterpated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Appealing to Women/Wives?

In 2008 when we were shopping I first pitched a roof top tent for our Land Rover. Then made a case for a basecamp (the original). We ended up buying a 25' international. Happy wife = happy life in hindsight we made the best choice for our particular needs.

That's probably not want you wanted to hear
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Similar experience to Wulfraat-- showed my wife a picture of an awesome tent in a sporting goods sale paper... fast forward 9 months and we've got a 30' Airstream. She's happy, I'm happy! Good luck!!!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
The last place my sweetie would want to spend her recreational time with me would be cooped up in a basecamp --- hence our 27 FB, which works fine with her & she's counting the days when we next take off in it. Hey, if it don't work with her, it don't work, period. I regret being unable to support your desires.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Tried to convince my wife that a teardrop trailer would be perfect for those quick spur of the moment trips. We looked at several and none impressed her. Even as a emergency type rv, we already had our Argosy, I couldn't convince her of the many pros. She would rather have the space and pay more in fuel......
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Decatur , Georgia
Here's a wife who wanted the Basecamp as her first choice. I wanted something easy to tow, because I'm going to be towing it and didn't want a new vehicle. The other smaller Airstreams didn't have the floor space that the Basecamp has, thanks to its flexible floor plan. We don't have to jostle around in the same 2 sq ft of standing space. The kitchen area has plenty of storage (opted out on the microwave), and also the best views for someone who loves to cook. The rear cargo door makes it a breeze to load and unload, instead of constantly going up and down the steps. I love the attached rear tent "screened in porch". The Basecamp is also just adorable...hope that helps!
Lmnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Why do you like it? Why does your wife like the 16 or 19?

The 20, 22, and 23 make better coaches, but the cute factor works for the smaller rigs. The key is ..... what works for you and the wife.

Check out the Oliver, Casita, and other low CG small trailers. If it's size that bothers the wife, maybe the Oliver will help. Similar price and more space.

If the issue is the "looks like an Airstream" deal, you are out of luck.

A Basecamp is camping. It's a trailer to haul your stuff to where you want to be and a shelter to cook and sleep. An Airstream is glamping and the bigger/nicer the rig you get, the more you move to a comfortable lifestyle while on the road.

Go sit in Airstreams for a while. Talk about how you would use each one to live in, store your stuff, sleep and cook. You will start to understand the whys as you discuss what you like.

If cost is the thing, look at used. There are less expensive coaches on the used market. Life is a compromise. Start by working with your Honey.

Now your question: To make your case. You will make and unmake the bed. You will use that single sink to do the dishes, You will keep the galley organized and spotless. You will keep the dirt cleaned up that gets dragged in when you load the bikes and boats. You will set up the outside tents and take them down. You will not complain about the payments. You will fix what breaks. You will stay in places where she can have air conditioning. You will not turn it into a man cave. You will not run off with your buddies and leave her alone. You will ....................... and that should seal the deal.

Otherwise, see above.

Good luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #8
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Why do you like it? Why does your wife like the 16 or 19?

The 20, 22, and 23 make better coaches, but the cute factor works for the smaller rigs. The key is ..... what works for you and the wife.

Check out the Oliver, Casita, and other low CG small trailers. If it's size that bothers the wife, maybe the Oliver will help. Similar price and more space.

If the issue is the "looks like an Airstream" deal, you are out of luck.

A Basecamp is camping. It's a trailer to haul your stuff to where you want to be and a shelter to cook and sleep. An Airstream is glamping and the bigger/nicer the rig you get, the more you move to a comfortable lifestyle while on the road.

Go sit in Airstreams for a while. Talk about how you would use each one to live in, store your stuff, sleep and cook. You will start to understand the whys as you discuss what you like.

If cost is the thing, look at used. There are less expensive coaches on the used market. Life is a compromise. Start by working with your Honey.

Now your question: To make your case. You will make and unmake the bed. You will use that single sink to do the dishes, You will keep the galley organized and spotless. You will keep the dirt cleaned up that gets dragged in when you load the bikes and boats. You will set up the outside tents and take them down. You will not complain about the payments. You will fix what breaks. You will stay in places where she can have air conditioning. You will not turn it into a man cave. You will not run off with your buddies and leave her alone. You will ....................... and that should seal the deal.

Otherwise, see above.

Good luck. Pat

My wife does say that she enjoys our road trips in part because I do all the planning and most of the cooking and cleaning!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would say...if your wife says she needs more space than in a basecamp, give it to her.

Not every couple can do tiny.

Maggie
Old 02-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I really like the look and concept of the Basecamp. I fully understand it is more camping and less trailer. Showed it to my wife. She wasn't at all interested. She reminded me of the tent we had, and then the tent trailers, and said she didn't want to go back. She likes the FC27, which I like, but now she has seen a 30. So no Basecamp.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had one tent camping experience in the cold (near freezing) close to the Grand Canyon in late September of 2011. Was my first and last tent camping deal. Trying to carry a shovel, flashlight and toilet paper in the dark and cold was not my idea of any form of enjoyment.

We tried a 2013 25FB International Serenity in October of 2012 and the layout just did not work with the cross frame queen bed. If we had found a twin bed first, we probably would still have it. However, we traded up to a 31' 2014 Classic twin beds with a ProPride hitch and have never looked back. The tow vehicle migrated from a 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI V6 diesel to a 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins.

We acquired a 2015 23D International Serenity for quick weekend trips to the older nearby parks that cater to the smaller rigs. We are using the existing 2007 Mercedes as the tow vehicle along with the Hensley Arrow hitch we removed from the sold 25FB.

She is extremely happy with both rigs. That translates into we are happy!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
I don't know if this will help but here is the reasoning as to why I love the BC vs Bambi 16. I felt that the 16 was a bit claustrophobic esp when you add in a 60lb dog. Much roomier in the BC. But also it appeals to me because of the type of camping we do. We aren't going to a place to sit in the trailer, it's more about the destination and being outside. But if I wanted a trailer for that reason I wouldn't be "feeling it" in a 16 or 19 either.. I would love the 25 for that no contest. But add in the option to haul "toys" in the trailer, ease of towing, and versatility BC is the winner hands down. But that's me. If you aren't both on the same page then keep looking for that compromise. Good luck!
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitterpated View Post
My wife is not interested in a Basecamp (she wants a Sport 16 or an FC19). I am interested in a Basecamp. Could I get a shout out from any women who enjoy camping out of a Basecamp and why? Could I get a shout out from husbands who have happy wives camping in a Basecamp and why?

Personally, I would learn to love a Sport 16 or FC19. Good luck.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Since she's a country-girl who knows how to fix the water well when ants get into the switch-box when I'm out of town...she has tented and slept on the ground beneath the wing of our personal plane...with a deflated air mattress...and cooked in a downpour...and laughed about it. She's ready to do whatever I'm game for .
I just knew she'd have no problem with a minimized camping trailer. I showed my wife a teardrop. I showed my wife a BC.
She saw a 22' Bambi on the roadside for sale. It has a stand-up shower and decent lavatory and toilet. It has a "just-right" galley. It has a queen bed. She bought it.

We love it. Happy life.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I would ask what is it about the basecamp that appeals to you SPECIFICALLY.

Functionally.

Aesthetically.

Emotionally.

By this, I mean pretend you got it for free, and could have chosen any AS for free.
(Including the proper tow vehicle.)

For what reasons would you pick the basecamp over other options?

What I am asking you to articulate is why do you want the basecamp? What is the appeal? Why does it meet your needs better than other options?

If it's just because you like it, then you may not have enough information.

When we first began looking, the things we "liked" at first, after further study, became less important as we understood more. We focused a lot on how each option would be for the day to day, when used during a trip. In particular we found it important to study where all of the belongings that we would need to have with us would be stored during travel and during the day and at night when camping.

If you can't put it out of sight, for me, that would drive me crazy.

In the end we purchased a 22 sport for the better storage, large bed, operable windows in the kitchen and bathroom, and room for the dog to sleep. It has ample storage so that all of our clothes, food, and toiletries can be stored in the trailer so that we don't have to keep any items used in the trailer in the vehicle while camped.

The biggest off-hand shortcoming I can imagine with a basecamp are these.
A-must make up the bed each night, unless you never eat inside at the table.
B-If the AS is used to transport items like bikes or SUPs or kayaks, then these must be stored outside in the elements and locked up when camped. Isn't a pickup truck less $ than a basecamp in this respect if you are merely needing a toy hauler? Isn't a utility trailer and tent a better financial option if you just want a toy hauler.
C-There is not a lot of operable window space for ventilation if no AC is being used.
D-There is not an immense amount of storage. Probably OK for a weekend, but not nearly enough for a week long trip for 2 adults where you must bring all of your food.
E-I believe it has a combined black/gray tank (I am not 100% sure on this point). if so that is less convenient for boon docking than separate gray and black. Because with separate gray and black you can drain the gray into a portable blue boy and dispose of quite easily in a bathroom or dishwashing sink. Not so with blackwater or a combined tank.

I do think the kitchen is quite nice and frankly better than either the 16 or 19 as far as counter space.

Help us help you. What is it about the basecamp that gets you?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Maybe this will help... maybe not. My wife and I are backpackers and tent campers but not getting any younger. Our last tent car camping trip got unexpectedly cold and the ground unexpectedly hard and lumpy for our thin Thermarests. Lots of Advil the next morning. Felt like we crossed an age threshold. I got thicker more luxurious sleeping pads, Exped MegaMat, awesome by the way), but my wife didn't seem as thrilled as in the past. While we both always loved and admired Airstream, I was interested in a move to a more glamorous tent like the SylvanSport, but out of the blue my wife saw the Basecamp and fell in love with the idea of it. I repeat, the Basecamp was HER idea! Then we did some due diligence research, looking also at the Sport 16 and 22. Loved the 22 Sport but it seemed big for first time tow people. Went to see them all at Colonial, but after both laying on the 48" wide bed in the Sports, we were out on those. 48"?? Not sure how you all do it. We're not big, and while we like to cuddle, when it comes down to actual sleeping, get out of our way! The 48" bed is what, a Full? Double? Tiny? Needless to say, we have a king at home. The Basecamp bed is 76" x 76"! That's more like it! And somehow the interior does feel roomier to us than the 16' Sport. My wife felt a little claustrophobic in the 16 Sport. (She also loved the 22, but not that tiny bed). And there's more counter space in the Basecamp kitchen area. More or less the same nice wet bath. Storage is different than the trailers, not drawers and closets, but it is there. Again, with a sporty sensibility. Overhead racks, etc. And the Basecamp does have a cool fun adventure look to it. And the tent will be a fun bug free addition. We are eagerly waiting for delivery in April.
That's the part that might help you with your wife and your decision.
Maybe the part that won't is that my wife and I fully know that the Basecamp won't be our final trailer! We're both obsessed with Airstream now! We are already in love with the 23FB International! It's the smallest size that has a Queen. We can do Queen. And they are beautiful! Problem there is she loves the Serenity, and I prefer the cool modern look of the Signature. So, needless to say, we will be getting a Serenity in the future. Haha. After we get used to towing, and the RV thing in general, and wrap our heads around a bigger tow vehicle. Just not yet. For now, it's cool fun camping adventures in the outdoorsy Basecamp. And it was HER idea!
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Good comments RG 416.

To clarify on 1 point, the 16 sport has a 48 wide bed (as does the 19, and 20). The 22 sport has a 54 wide bed. Not a queen like the 23 Front Bed you like, but a big difference in sleep-ability over the 48 inch wide bed.

Piggy Bank
Old 02-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
That's right, thanks. Still felt a little tight to us. We have a Queen in a city apartment and I think it's 60" wide.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:07 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Sorry to keep chiming in, the other thing was that until you get up to the 23 Queen or Twins, the bed is either sideways or tucked in the corner, requiring someone to climb over someone else for night bathroom trips. The Basecamp bed will allow us to get up off the foot of the bed without disturbing each other. Of course we realize the trade off is having to make it up the bed each morning, but then I've heard people here say that one person of a couple sometimes uses the dinette to compensate for the small bed, (as would we) so they have to make up the dinette as well. The Basecamp bed area also becomes a nice lounge area when the tables are stowed. I know that the dinette tables in the Sports go down lower to make up a bed, but I'm not sure if they can come out, to open the seats up to a more couch-like seating? I like that about the Tommy Bahama model. Plus, truth be told, hope my wife doesn't read this, but I'm hoping that when/if we upgrade to the 23' someday , I can convince her to go for the 25FB instead, to get the awesome lounge area by the dinette. Now I'm getting way ahead of myself! Ha
Old 02-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
You are correct.

For those sleeping at home.
(source is better sleep council website)

Standard twin = 38 x 75
XL twin (like in college dorms) = 38 x 80
Standard double = 53 x 75
Standard queen = 60 x 80
Standard king = 76 x 80
CA king = 72 x 84

Piggy Bank