Old 02-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
I would ask what is it about the basecamp that appeals to you SPECIFICALLY.

Functionally.

Aesthetically.

Emotionally.

By this, I mean pretend you got it for free, and could have chosen any AS for free.
(Including the proper tow vehicle.)

For what reasons would you pick the basecamp over other options?

What I am asking you to articulate is why do you want the basecamp? What is the appeal? Why does it meet your needs better than other options?

If it's just because you like it, then you may not have enough information.

When we first began looking, the things we "liked" at first, after further study, became less important as we understood more. We focused a lot on how each option would be for the day to day, when used during a trip. In particular we found it important to study where all of the belongings that we would need to have with us would be stored during travel and during the day and at night when camping.

If you can't put it out of sight, for me, that would drive me crazy.

In the end we purchased a 22 sport for the better storage, large bed, operable windows in the kitchen and bathroom, and room for the dog to sleep. It has ample storage so that all of our clothes, food, and toiletries can be stored in the trailer so that we don't have to keep any items used in the trailer in the vehicle while camped.

The biggest off-hand shortcoming I can imagine with a basecamp are these.
A-must make up the bed each night, unless you never eat inside at the table.
B-If the AS is used to transport items like bikes or SUPs or kayaks, then these must be stored outside in the elements and locked up when camped. Isn't a pickup truck less $ than a basecamp in this respect if you are merely needing a toy hauler? Isn't a utility trailer and tent a better financial option if you just want a toy hauler.
C-There is not a lot of operable window space for ventilation if no AC is being used.
D-There is not an immense amount of storage. Probably OK for a weekend, but not nearly enough for a week long trip for 2 adults where you must bring all of your food.
E-I believe it has a combined black/gray tank (I am not 100% sure on this point). if so that is less convenient for boon docking than separate gray and black. Because with separate gray and black you can drain the gray into a portable blue boy and dispose of quite easily in a bathroom or dishwashing sink. Not so with blackwater or a combined tank.

I do think the kitchen is quite nice and frankly better than either the 16 or 19 as far as counter space.

Help us help you. What is it about the basecamp that gets you?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Maybe this will help... maybe not. My wife and I are backpackers and tent campers but not getting any younger. Our last tent car camping trip got unexpectedly cold and the ground unexpectedly hard and lumpy for our thin Thermarests. Lots of Advil the next morning. Felt like we crossed an age threshold. I got thicker more luxurious sleeping pads, Exped MegaMat, awesome by the way), but my wife didn't seem as thrilled as in the past. While we both always loved and admired Airstream, I was interested in a move to a more glamorous tent like the SylvanSport, but out of the blue my wife saw the Basecamp and fell in love with the idea of it. I repeat, the Basecamp was HER idea! Then we did some due diligence research, looking also at the Sport 16 and 22. Loved the 22 Sport but it seemed big for first time tow people. Went to see them all at Colonial, but after both laying on the 48" wide bed in the Sports, we were out on those. 48"?? Not sure how you all do it. We're not big, and while we like to cuddle, when it comes down to actual sleeping, get out of our way! The 48" bed is what, a Full? Double? Tiny? Needless to say, we have a king at home. The Basecamp bed is 76" x 76"! That's more like it! And somehow the interior does feel roomier to us than the 16' Sport. My wife felt a little claustrophobic in the 16 Sport. (She also loved the 22, but not that tiny bed). And there's more counter space in the Basecamp kitchen area. More or less the same nice wet bath. Storage is different than the trailers, not drawers and closets, but it is there. Again, with a sporty sensibility. Overhead racks, etc. And the Basecamp does have a cool fun adventure look to it. And the tent will be a fun bug free addition. We are eagerly waiting for delivery in April.
That's the part that might help you with your wife and your decision.
Maybe the part that won't is that my wife and I fully know that the Basecamp won't be our final trailer! We're both obsessed with Airstream now! We are already in love with the 23FB International! It's the smallest size that has a Queen. We can do Queen. And they are beautiful! Problem there is she loves the Serenity, and I prefer the cool modern look of the Signature. So, needless to say, we will be getting a Serenity in the future. Haha. After we get used to towing, and the RV thing in general, and wrap our heads around a bigger tow vehicle. Just not yet. For now, it's cool fun camping adventures in the outdoorsy Basecamp. And it was HER idea!

Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Good comments RG 416.

To clarify on 1 point, the 16 sport has a 48 wide bed (as does the 19, and 20). The 22 sport has a 54 wide bed. Not a queen like the 23 Front Bed you like, but a big difference in sleep-ability over the 48 inch wide bed.

Piggy Bank
Old 02-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
That's right, thanks. Still felt a little tight to us. We have a Queen in a city apartment and I think it's 60" wide.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:07 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Sorry to keep chiming in, the other thing was that until you get up to the 23 Queen or Twins, the bed is either sideways or tucked in the corner, requiring someone to climb over someone else for night bathroom trips. The Basecamp bed will allow us to get up off the foot of the bed without disturbing each other. Of course we realize the trade off is having to make it up the bed each morning, but then I've heard people here say that one person of a couple sometimes uses the dinette to compensate for the small bed, (as would we) so they have to make up the dinette as well. The Basecamp bed area also becomes a nice lounge area when the tables are stowed. I know that the dinette tables in the Sports go down lower to make up a bed, but I'm not sure if they can come out, to open the seats up to a more couch-like seating? I like that about the Tommy Bahama model. Plus, truth be told, hope my wife doesn't read this, but I'm hoping that when/if we upgrade to the 23' someday , I can convince her to go for the 25FB instead, to get the awesome lounge area by the dinette. Now I'm getting way ahead of myself! Ha
Old 02-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
You are correct.

For those sleeping at home.
(source is better sleep council website)

Standard twin = 38 x 75
XL twin (like in college dorms) = 38 x 80
Standard double = 53 x 75
Standard queen = 60 x 80
Standard king = 76 x 80
CA king = 72 x 84

Piggy Bank
Old 02-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
And Piggy Bank I do love the Sport 22 design. The light wood, grey and white details, frosted partition, so clean light and minimal. Wish they could squeeze in a Queen.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The 2008 22' Sport has a 60" X 84" Queen bed (made from the dropped dinette). My wife and I will never use the dinette and have permanently placed it in Queen-bed mode, buying a special-order mattress to suit our tastes. The '08 model also has a true lounge/couch very convenient for viewing TV or eating off TV tables.... and much more "walk-about" room, avoiding the close-contact the later FB models have with their side-dinettes.

All other features are shared like that great bathroom, adequate storage and galley. Light at 4,000 lbs (3500 empty), 22 gal fresh, 20 gal grey, and 18 gal black tanks.

Our friends with the 2014 22' Sport wishes they'd had the same floorplan, because all the other important features are the same. If you don't insist upon a brand-new one to depreciate the minute you own it... consider looking for one a few years back and save about $20K IMO
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
Love my basecamp, just me and my dog. Looked at the sport, but loved the xtra things the basecamp can do. Adore 2 doors, the space; the whole deal.
Gift from my husband...
jaz
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
After towing cross country numerous times, I'll never have another single axle trailer.
As for small, years ago, I had a cute 4' x 6' enclosed trailer for my telescope, and slept in it after setting up. Now that's compact!
Air mattress, sleeping bag and freezing!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #25
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Make your wife's first RV experience a good one. I'd go with a 19' or 23' and call it a win. You could always downsize to a BC later, once Airstream camping is in your blood.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #26
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
After towing cross country numerous times, I'll never have another single axle trailer.
As for small, years ago, I had a cute 4' x 6' enclosed trailer for my telescope, and slept in it after setting up. Now that's compact!
Air mattress, sleeping bag and freezing!
Thought very seriously about a similar solution for man days at the races. Anything to get off the ground and not have to pitch a tent......but the AS will be much nicer.

Back to Basecamp. Have to yield to the larger bed argument. It was one of the advantages of the T@G teardrop I considered as an alternative to that box, but..... there is the issue of cushions vs a mattress. All the small coaches require a custom rounded corner mattress if you upgrade, but they are available. The BC can't go to a mattress and keep the table. Well an air mattress or those toppers are alternatives. However, sleeping on cushions is not as comfortable as a real mattress. It is camping, but if convincing the wife, it's a foul.

What say you who have a BC. How well do the cushions sleep? Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Zionsville , Indiana
From a family of ex-tent campers

I'm a backpacker and the family are car campers. After many National Parks, including Yellowstone in tents, the three oldest kids are off to college. Start looking at travel trailers (I want small, cheap and easy to tow - read no anti-sway or weight distro and tow easily with a 1/2 ton).

Wife looks at various SOBs and says, if I want to stay at Motel 6, I will, where is my tent? But honey, I'm tired of setting tents, camp kitchen, etc... I want to park it and have a beer. Where is my tent she says.

Then, I walked her into a very used, very beat up 34' Excella. She was instantly hooks on AS. We ended up with a 2005 30' Classic with Twin beds. We sleep happy and I'm sure the space will be nice when we take long trips in retirement. One negative is the National Parks we love so much have very limited space for such a long trailer.

I think, for a weekender or even a week or two, a 25 footer with twins would be the sweet spot (for me). If I was alone, the Base Camp would really do the trick, but the wife would not be happy with a Base Camp.
rpenczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Seattle , Washington
Seems to like it quite a bit!

We both like the easy towing, and compact overall set up, can fit most campgrounds. We plan on taking it everywhere, as we used to take everything in a car, now it seems like we have cubic miles of space!

So far, the Base Camp fits us just right. We get over 17 mpg towing on the freeway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01291.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	280668  

nwcamper is offline   Reply With Quote