Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Trickle Charge?

100W is a lot for battery maintenance. I use a 35W small but quality panel and a small inexpensive 7 amp charge controller plus a couple alligator clamps and it keeps the battery fresh. I do this on my parked vehicles as well through the 12V lighter sockets. If you are maintaining a load in the trailer you will need more than 35W.

The other option is to build a portable solar charger. Small inverter, battery, charge controller and panel(s). Then just plug the trailer into that. Other option is to plug it into a genny once a month for an hour.
Kristof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #22

Currently Looking...
MARYSVILLE , Ohio
Great portable solar panel review on you tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Robert View Post
Now that my Basecamp is in covered storage the factory installed solar panels on the roof can't keep the batteries charged. I need to locate a good option for a portable solar panel setup to connect to the exterior solar panel connection.
I would recommend that you check out this review of various panels out on the market.

dbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Rockwall , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV View Post
Have Go Power 120 portable panels (suitcase) . Plugs into 7 pin to charge. See ad in Airstream Life store.
I have the same. Works for me
SeanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Eugene , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to Bdinla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
Food for thought: Renogy's "Compact Design" 100 W rigid panels (which at $113 look like the current best buy) are performance warranted (90% of rated output) for 10 years. Renogy's 100 W flexible panels are performance warranted for 0 (yes, zero) years.

I've had flexible panels. I've seen them fail after a year or so. I use rigid panels on the ground now. Bonus: they cost half as much per watt as the flexibles.
I wonder if you could expand on the issue with the flex panels a bit more. The dealer where I picked up my 2016 25' International FB installed two 100-watt flex panels on the coach, and I'm beginning to notice some 'fogging' of a few of the sections on each panel. I don't have the tools or the experience to know how to measure the output from the panels.
Bdinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
I’ve used the Zamp portable 160 Watt panels successfully for 3 years to recharge my AGM batteries at sites when we have no 30 Amp power. The problem I had was how to charge batteries on the day of departure after a night without AC power. We would artive at our next site with partially depleted batteries. I purchased a Yakima “Off Grid” roof rack (see photo) and mounted the Zamp solar panels to it using nylon straps, cushioning under the panels, and cable locks for security. I simply connect the solar panel to my batteries as usual but can now charge as I drive to our new destination. This has worked very well during my recent test on the way to Death Valley from Orange County in preparation for an Alaska ttip this summer,.

An added advantage is I can position the Zamp wherever I get best benefits while camped yet get total recharge on the day of travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDF2DCD1-4951-4F2D-8D63-D055A745ADDB.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	334920   Click image for larger version

Name:	A9D86E6D-20BE-4E07-B89C-9D7385BC523B.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	334921  

WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Same concept on a home built 200w renogy suitcase mounted on my son's camper. Click image for larger version

Name:	1944.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	334963

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Sonoma , California
I also got the Renogy Eclipse 100w panels. Eclipse is smaller and lighter than the previous model. Got an "open box" suitcase sold by Renogy through eBay and saved about $140. Can't even see any wear and tear on it. Check out YouTube video by Bob Nada for how to set up a convenient wire from your panels to your trailer batteries.
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
I have both the ZAMP 160 for a 2 x 6 volt AGM trailer and a ZAMP 120 for the single 12 volt AGM trailer. Both work very well.

I opted for the made-in-the-USA ZAMPs instead of the Canadian based Renology and Go Power! Valterra Power panels. I've read that people have had difficulties with warranty issues with the Cnadian companies.
I think you mean Renogy. I don't know where you got the idea that it is a Canadian company. All my dealings with them have been through their business in California.
Also as to the issues with warranties, I found them to be very easy and accomodating to deal with.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Excella 500
Pleasant hill , California
You’ll have to remove the charge controller on your portable panel and wire it into the sunexplorer in your basecamp, you can’t have two solar controller’s. sunexplore solar charge controller can handle up to 40 amps on most basecamps,
Zila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:22 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
I’ve used the Zamp portable 160 Watt panels successfully for 3 years to recharge my AGM batteries at sites when we have no 30 Amp power. The problem I had was how to charge batteries on the day of departure after a night without AC power. We would artive at our next site with partially depleted batteries. I purchased a Yakima “Off Grid” roof rack (see photo) and mounted the Zamp solar panels to it using nylon straps, cushioning under the panels, and cable locks for security. I simply connect the solar panel to my batteries as usual but can now charge as I drive to our new destination. This has worked very well during my recent test on the way to Death Valley from Orange County in preparation for an Alaska ttip this summer,.

An added advantage is I can position the Zamp wherever I get best benefits while camped yet get total recharge on the day of travel.

I’m confused. I thought the trailer batteries change from the tow vehicle when running.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeocamperAS View Post
I’m confused. I thought the trailer batteries change from the tow vehicle when running.
I’ve been confused, too.

I’ll defer to, and welcome comment from, those with more knowledge of auto alternators and the Airstream electrical systems, but my experience and limited reading suggests that only minimal battery recharging occurs while driving. I also understand that running the refrigerator while driving consumes electricity, as do other phantom draws like the lpg detector.

On numerous occasions I have started a day-long drive with fully charged (and favorable tests of my AGM batteries in the Airstream) after being on shore power the previous night only to arrive at my destination with partially discharged batteties (usually about 12.5V on the Airstream gauge and also using a volt meter at the battery terminal).

My electronic vehicle information center (EVIC) shows my alternator (TV has a factory tow package) to be putting out 14 V and several independent tests of the battery and alternator by mechanics have been good. I maintain clean and tight connections to the batteties and the 7-pin connector.

I know the batteries should rest for a few hours before testing in order to obtain an accurate reading, but that’s not usually practical while on a trip.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Ok I checked my TV manual. I have several fuses designated for towing. One for “trailer tow battery charge”.

Someone with more knowledge (not guessing) PLEASE chime in because I’m only guessing.

It all has to do with how many amps/hr the TV puts out vs how many amps/hr the trailer is asking for.

1. If I am running nothing in my trailer, the trailer battery should charge fine. Because nothing is using any of the TV output.
2. If I am running very little in my trailer, as in the refrigerator on LP so just the circuit board is using current, the trailer battery should charge slower. Because the circuit board is using some of the TV output.
3. If I am running the refrigerator on the 12v heater, the battery may not charge. If the 12v heater is drawing more amperage/hr than the TV can put out.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Compact Foldable light 120Watt

Like others here, decided to build own mainly to not have a larger, heavier, hard edged assembly to wrestle. $375.00 all in +tax

Found amazingly light 5 soft panel folding “notebook” 120Watt from Aims (225.00 Amazon).

Adding the Victron Smart Solar 75-15 with bluetooth programmable management (118.00), 35ft 12/2Ga and suitable clip-on battery connectors. Pumps up the 2-6V 220ah FullRiver AGMs with exact needed programmable algorithms in short order full sun. Smartphone history and performance data to boot.

This compact kit folds up, slips into the smaller side AS storage hatch and weighs less than 6lbs. Resembles a medium size laptop in all respects folded.

Ok for us for now when ever needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	46AD21EB-A453-409D-A3A4-45BE34C96BF7.png
Views:	43
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	367551   Click image for larger version

Name:	68C0C402-E1B2-4462-B2A2-FC71A721E6D6.png
Views:	58
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	367552  

Name:	B8D62514-2683-4451-BB9B-DD8D6950DD70.png
Views:	53
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	367553  
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
2006 16' International CCD
Front Range , CO
I went with the Zamp 180 and the extension cord. It has a nice case and I really like the carrying handle. Wondering when they will start making them with their new Obsidian panels which are low profile and 30% lighter. No adapter required since it's what Airstream specs.
trailerpup is offline   Reply With Quote