Old 08-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Another Basecamp leak... and fix

OK fellow Basecamp owners, here's another one you'll most likely have to contend with sooner or later... (Yes, I know... I just got back from JC where they fixed leaks, but those were shell leaks, this one is plumbing.)

I was draining out the fresh water jugs by running the sink and letting the water pee out on my driveway this evening. After about a gallon, I noticed we were getting a lot of water on the floor by the galley.

Airstream, in their infinite wisdom, uses a gray corrugated/spiral plastic hose for the sink drain. The hose clamps on at the sink trap, then feeds down to a standard San T Flush bulkhead hose connector. The "hose" (and I use the term loosely) is secured with a plain spring-wire type clamp - an invitation for a leak if ever there was one.

The simple solution (which I'll execute tomorrow when the hardware store opens) is to use a length of REAL 3/4" hose with a proper coupling to the San T Flush bulkhead connector and a beefy hose clamp on the trap. Unfortunately, it is necessary to remove the RS galley to get to the connections.

Note: To remove the galley, there are 2 large bolts through the bottom shelf and 2 small bolts which attach to brackets on the middle shelf. Leave the brackets attached to the walls and just remove the bolts on the middle shelf side.

Have fun! I'll do the swearing so you don't have to!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Bob, can you post photos of the repair?

Old 08-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Bob, can you post photos of the repair?
Sure, I'll take pix tomorrow and get 'em up.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 08-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Pix are now in my member's gallery...

TAC - NJ-007