Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
2018 Basecamp screens and blackout curtains.

I’m very disappointed in the Basecamp. The blackout shade in the kitchen window pulled away from the plastic pillar its glued onto. Yesterday when I started to zip closed the blackout shade behind the bathroom, I noticed the window screen was pulled away from the side at the hinged end of the window. You can’t put your arm into that skinny, narrow area to push the screen back on! It’s just GLUED on! Obviously this glue Airstream uses isn’t worth it’s price. It’s not even summer yet. What’s the glue going to do when it gets hot??? I’m begining to feel like I’ve been taken for a ride with all the issues it’s had in the 5 months I’ve owned it, the dealer had it more than I have. Two leaks, shitty refrigerator, screen door failure, rivets pulled out of the tank cover, leaking water tank, .....The trailer should have only cost $10,000, and I’m being generous. For a company with decades of experience, there seems to be a lack of tested design and a use of the cheapest materials possible. I’m not a person to complain, I don’t even generally return faulty items but I’m angry and disapointed. If I were offered a full refund I’d take it!
Capastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:13 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
I believe the curtains are glued to the backside of the black plastic window trims / frames. Although I have not done so myself, I think you would need to remove the trim to reattach the curtain.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
On the front windows, if you unzip the curtain, you can reach behind the pillar and press the fabric back on the pillar. It's futile since it won't stay, but you can reach it. On the pop out window there's no way to reach the screen when it comes unstuck from the hinged area of the window since it's a tiny space. The screen can only be pressed back on from the outside.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Capastel,

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you described in your 2018 Basecamp. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:46 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
Your representative, Jon Puckett, has information on our Basecamp due to the second water leak that was fixed. I spoke with him at that time, providing the information you're requesting. He provided his contact information/email and never replied to an email I sent.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Toronto , Ontario
screens

We just picked up our BC and I too have noticed our screen are peeling off. Also I am not happy with the screen door.the bottom keeps popping out and there is no latch so far no problem with the front window curtains but I put pull tabs on the zippers so they don’t disappear behind the plastic frame.
LS
hawksbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
I also put pull tabs on all the zippers. What a difference! No more fishing the zippers from inside behind the frame. We had to have our screen door adjusted as well.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:41 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Toronto , Ontario
Did you have any problem with the propane detector? Ours kept going off even with the doors open and plugged in. Finally on advice of Airstream I cut the wires. It will be replaced when we go back in a couple of weeks to have a second battery (which was on recall). Installed.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
So far, that's one issue we haven't had. I'm sorry you have a problem your propane detector.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
DBW
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
2018 Basecamp
Charleston , South Carolina
I just purchased my Basecamp 2 weeks ago and have already seen the problems you are discussing. Glue just does not hold and my wife thought she damage the screen door when she saw the screen pop out. Unfortunate.
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Toronto , Ontario
Screen door loose at bottom

The door has to be made loose at the bottom as it’s like a blind that you would put on a window only mounted sideways so it rolls up into the holder. Just the way they are made.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
The screen door problem was the door not wanting to open once the door was closed. The door was caught at the top so that the screen door tilted at the bottom as you pulled to open, while the top corner stayed put. If you were inside you could push on the top edge of the door. If you were outside there was nowhere to get purchase to help the door open. It was binding on the rail so the dealer adjusted the rail on the floor, I assume, since the rail is now loose.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:30 AM   #13
DBW
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
2018 Basecamp
Charleston , South Carolina
Black rivet pops on LPG Lid

I have a new basecamp that already has 2 black rivets lose on both sides of the hinge that attaches the lid that covers the LPG tanks. Has anyone had this problem?
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:38 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Yes, everyone that bought a Basecamp. There are a zillion threads about this gem.
HUSK N TUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:11 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Toronto , Ontario
Warping of bathroom door

Our bathroom door is warped. Those little tabs to tighten the door top and bottom are only good if you can pull the door in to use them. We spent two nights camping in our Airstream dealers parking lot get things fixed. But the bathroom door is not one of them. Finally I installed a drawer handle to the door inside, to be able to pull it in and latch the door.
The screens on the side windows were sowed up by hand to stop them from pulling off the glue.
The propane detector was replaced that was good for two days had to get out of bed one night pull the wires again. Gas was off and the windows open and it just kept going off.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:56 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
DBW “I have a new basecamp that already has 2 black rivets lose on both sides of the hinge that attaches the lid that covers the LPG tanks. Has anyone had this problem?”. The dealer replaced our stripped rivets with screws.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #17
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi hawksbil and Capastel ,

We are sorry about the issues that you mentioned in your 2018 Basecamp. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

We look forward to helping you get this resolved. Thanks!