Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Folks, there are customers who should tow to JC for work. Generally, they do not live on the West side of the Continental Divide. They certainly do not live in the Pacific NorthWest. The AS Dealer Group in that area may be busy, but they have great service capability. Use the JC Corporate leverage, but go local, build a relationship and keep it positive.

OP - Good Luck with the Warranty work. Hope your experience improves. It would be wonderful to see your shiny smile down the road some day. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #22

New Smyrna Beach , FL
Why can't Airstream consider a Donfoss refrigerator which would eliminate the need for fans etc. They are used a lot on boats. This would eliminate the need for a redesign of the Airstream Basecamp.
Rcaldwell0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #23

2018 Basecamp
South Jordan , Utah
Sadly, I'm in the same boat Glampman, frustrated with all the little things that aren't quite right and spending as much time getting things repaired as having fun in the thing. In my case, the spare tire getting loose and hanging all cock-eyed after a few hours of driving gives me the most heartburn. A "fix" was put in, but, alas, it doesn't appear to have been a real fix. With summer upon us, it'll be interesting to see how the fridge goes from here on out...
jgoeglein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
An alternative solution to Airstream for easy towing...

...and a whole lot more.

For years, I asked Airstream directly to build some nice trailer for towing with any of the many, many vehicles with 3,500 pound gross weight and 350 pound hitch weight limits. We have a BMW X3 diesel with those limits.

We used to have an Airstream 25FB that weighed 5,300 pounds dry and 650 pounds on the tongue. Now, we have a 24-foot Bowlus Road Chief that weighs 2,300 pounds dry and 140 pounds on the tongue. I tows like a dream, much better than the Airstream, and we have logged over 10,000 miles with it in the past year getting between 26 and 28 mpg.

Light weight is not easy to achieve. But, the benefits are well worth the effort. Needless to say, we much prefer the Bowlus to the Airstream. Not for everyone, but certainly worth your consideration for your forever trailer.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Georgetown , Arkansas
Problem solved

All of our Basecamp 17 issues are permanently resolved. We sold it back to the dealer for a healthy discount. We had a water leak, troubles getting hot water, and the well known refrigerator problems, among others. Reading this thread confirms our decision was right for us. The anxiety of constant repair issues was just to much to accept given the high price for this vehicle. I hope that most of you are having better luck.
Xrad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #26

Currently Looking...
Slippery Rock , Pennsylvania
BC Shopper Sobering Up...

I've been looking at a BC here in western PA for several weeks, and in spite of some attractive discounting from the dealer, I've been delaying the purchase. After reading all the issues with BC listed on this and other threads, I'm definitely going to wait or look for something else.

Like many commenting here, I've been smitten with the pure utility of the design and would love to have one, EXCEPT for the continuing problems that seem to extend through both model years. Wow! What a shame...
Red Dog 131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #27
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi jgoeglein,

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
Basecamp Woes

Good Day from Glampman!

Well the Airstream dealer called and indicated that they would like another attempt at working on the list of outstanding issues with the unit. I just needed to drop it off; which, I took some valuable PTO time yesterday to do. No word yet on how long it will take, but another weekend of possible "summer fun and adventure" is off the table and possibly even Father's Day weekend is out as I have no days off from work to pick up the trailer from the dealer during the workweek.

I will absolutely keep the forum up to date with the reconciliation process, but I can tell you this, there doesn't appear to be a discernible recognition for the time, energy, resources, and missed opportunities my wife and I have endured as part of this purchase. But should that change, I will keep you all in the loop.

As for now, my full endorsement to anyone considering the Basecamp is pending. I am cautiously hopeful and the AS factory did call to check in and inquire based upon the discussion thread in this forum. So there is some level of attention being paid to getting the unit back on the road.

For everyone enduring and responding to my posts, a heartfelt thank you. For those of you suffering or who have suffered challenges with their unit, I have empathy for you and I hope your respective situation improves. But let's keep the discussion going...

Thanks,

Glampman
Glampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update, and for keeping the pressure on AS and your dealer.

The "recognition" you seek from Thor and Airstream may be a while in coming, unfortunately, judging from how long the Simple Survey thread's fridge issues have gone unresolved IMO.

Peter

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Fairview , TX
Door Window Missing

Well we received a call from our Airstream dealer yesterday informing us the the parts for the repairs (including the window) have been received. We dropped her off yesterday and are very optimistic that she will be back in service soon!
Airkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crawford , Colorado
I gave up!!

After 5 trips to the dealer, a 500 mile round trip, I gave up on my 2017 Basecamp and sold it back to the dealer fro about 50% of what I paid.

The final straw was that the front window shattered while sitting in my barn.

The 2017 Basecamp was an ill-designed, ill-built piece of junk.

I also bought one, and way overpaid, because of the Airstream name and reputation. What a crock.

And by the way dont be fooled by replies to this forum that seem to come directly from Airstream. I talked with Jon in the Airstream Customer Service Dept and he said it was a third party thing and that Airstream ignored them.

The best view of my Basecamp was when it left my driveway for the last time.
dickgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
Basecamp Saga

Good afternoon AS forum!

I don't think my wife is ever going to trust my judgement again... Another two weekends of campground reservations canceled and promised updates from the dealership don't ever come. Optimism fades with my credibility. But it only stings when I make that monthly payment, and when I am stuck home watching the golf channel each weekend dreaming of "glamping" in a....Nucamp T@b 400? or in an Alto Safari Condo? Or in perhaps a Lance 1475? Hmmm, to do over again....

For those shopping for the AS Basecamp in the Northwest, don't hesitate to reach out.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
Basecamp Saga

Good Afternoon AS Basecamp Forum!

I got an opportunity to use our Basecamp this weekend with a functioning (at least on electricity) refrigerator and air conditioner. After two weeks at the dealership, I picked up our Basecamp this past Friday and my wife and I went a couple of hours south to a KOA campground in Longview, WA.

We were happy not to have had to use our big cooler as our perishable items and beer could be placed in our refer...how novel!? We were also happy to escape to the comfort of our air conditioned trailer after hanging around outside in the heat on Saturday.

So at this point, months into our journey with the 2018 Basecamp, we felt like we may have finally gone "Glamping" as we had intended when we bought into the Airstream dream. Though we hope that the rest of the summer will go smoothly, there is at least one more item on the repair punch list that the dealer has committed to repair at a future date. We would prefer to use this forum to share journeys, hacks, solutions, etc., so let's see how it goes!

Thanks,

Glampman
Old 06-25-2018, 05:03 AM   #34
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Thank you so much for the update. We often hear about the discontent of brand new Airstream owners but rarely hear that the bugs do and in your case did get worked out. Hopefully things will continue to go smoothly but if not you now know the process of how to get resolutions. Enjoy that Basecamp and post pictures when you can.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #35
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Airkeeper,

We are happy to hear that your dealership was able to repair your issues. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank You.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glampman View Post
. . .
I got an opportunity to use our Basecamp this weekend with a functioning (at least on electricity) refrigerator . . .
. . .
Thanks for the update, Greg, and glad you were able to use the new BC!

Just to clarify, are you still waiting to see if the fridge now works on propane, in the heat of summer and in direct sunlight, when the air temp is above 80 F?

In Post #16 you updated us:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glampman View Post
. . .
2. Refer--does not chill on either propane or electric, despite the dealer stating that it will chill on propane while waiting for new mother board for the electric portion.
. . .
Reading between the lines here, could you clarify whether your fridge works on propane, and at what temps and sun conditions?

The Simple Survey thread has not been updated recently, but it is not clear whether all the BC fridge fixes have worked in all camping conditions.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

Thanks,

Peter
Old 06-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
Basecamp Saga

Hi AS Forum,

Thanks for keeping up with my ongoing story. To answer Peter's question, I did not test the refer on propane since the Basecamp's latest trip to the dealer. But I will do my best to get back to you with that information.

The dealer has some ideas about fixing the bowed bathroom door and will contact me when the new door comes in.

Other than that, I am looking forward to a trip up north to Concrete Washington for a couple of days next week to do some more Glamping in the Basecamp.

So despite no further discussion from AS regarding their commitment to recognizing the amount of time, energy, and frustration involved in this journey, l feel compelled to talk about the things that I really like about this trailer because it seems fair.

1. She is a stunner! If looks could kill! From the ominously dark windows, to those killer tail light fins, this thing is art...not necessarily the most functional art, but pretty, she is. And people do stare!

2. A real pleasurable and stable tow. No additional stabilizing tow accessories necessary for us. Really easy to maneuver.

3. Love all of the USB ports! Everybody and their brother can charge their gear at the same time!

4. It only takes a small bluetooth speaker to fill the trailer as it has these amazing acoustics. The way sound moves through the inside of the trailer is a real treat to the ears.

5. The way the interior lights bounce off the aluminum inside when the shades are all zipped up is mesmerizing.

Anyway, I will include some video in the future.

Thanks,

Glampman
Old 06-27-2018, 03:03 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the glowing update!

We have always eyed the BC as a possible candidate for downsizing, so hopefully Airstream can get this design to fulfill its potential as a great pocket camper.

Enjoy your upcoming trip!

Peter
Old 06-29-2018, 06:51 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Wisconsin
Fed up with my Basecamp and Ewald Airstream of Wisconsin (I usually have to go back to Ewald two to three times per repair in order for them to fix the stuff they screw up in the process of fixing some other thing...like my refrigerator). Considering options as I can’t believe someone might want to pay me money to take the POS off my hands. Sink it in the local SCUBA lake for wreck diving? Chop the top and turn it into a greenhouse? Chicken coop? [emoji4]
Twitterpated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update, and your new thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...mp-183574.html

Bummer!