Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Pompano Beach , Florida
And that's the reply that thousands of people will see.
PapaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #22

Currently Looking...
Catonsville , Maryland
I plan on purchasing a Basecamp in the fall this year, after the many problems associated with a new product are cleared up. Im making a list of very specific things to look for when I do buy it. I would like to hear the details of the quality issues you found.

My understanding is that the axle fix is an entirely new axle. Im curious why you don't think this will fix the problem. Torsion axles like this are fairly common on small trailers.

Is Airstream really replacing the tires with smaller ones? I dont see anything in the recall report that mentions that. What size the was tire changed to? The Basecamp user manual lists the size as 235/55R18 (thats a 28" diameter tire). In the photos it looks the same to me, it just sits lower so there is a larger gap between the tire and the fender at the top of the tire.

Dan
rhu6ar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Pompano Beach , Florida
Yes they have replaced them with the smaller profile tire in other words the original tire was at 255 series tire it is now at 235 series tire. Here's a picture of a I recalled axle replacement. As you can see the tire favors the rear of the trailer this means the wheel still moves in an upward and backward movement toward that smaller space I'm just not sure why it's not centered.
Name:   IMG_0781.JPG
Views: 991
Size:  101.1 KB
Old 05-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
A torsion axle doesn't flex / compress the same way a leaf spring of coil spring configuration does. So the location of the tire should reflect this. Are you saying it's favoring the wrong side? As in it's going to make the clearances worse upon load? I don't remember which way the arm is situated.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #25

Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJeeper View Post
Hi all, I spent 2 1/2 hours at my local dealer here in Florida crawled up and down inside and out on the top through the bottom of four different base camps they had in stock. I found so many quality control issues. I get that they weren't PDI however I was shocked to see what comes off the assembly line. I spoke with the salesman in depth on the base camp and even spoke with one of the engineers or original designers he seemed a little angry that I did so much research and knew about so many problems at the base camps. I'm still not convinced that the axle recall is going to be satisfactory. I don't like the look of the smaller tire and the way it sits in the wheel well. I wonder how serious airstream is when it comes to forums like this because I will not be purchasing one anytime soon. This saddens me because I really love the look and the feel that the base camp has.
Thank you for this info. It's a shame there are so many issues with the BC as I would buy one tomorrow if the reviews about the quality were better. From my research, these Airstream quality issues do not seem limited to just the BC...which, ironically, is what made me start considering the BC in the first place; I was hoping the more simple design would mean less issues. I do hope Airstream has addressed and fixed these issues for the 2018's. I'm assuming this is the forum where we may find out?
xpeditionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Pompano Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpeditionist View Post
Thank you for this info. It's a shame there are so many issues with the BC as I would buy one tomorrow if the reviews about the quality were better. From my research, these Airstream quality issues do not seem limited to just the BC...which, ironically, is what made me start considering the BC in the first place; I was hoping the more simple design would mean less issues. I do hope Airstream has addressed and fixed these issues for the 2018's. I'm assuming this is the forum where we may find out?

It's really a shame, as I love the BC myself. But I'm staying far away maybe for a couple years maybe indefinitely. It's too bad airstream did not take more care and time to test before they put the product out. And I don't believe they take it all into consideration of how powerful this forum and all other forms are.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:24 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2006 31' Classic
2008 25' International
Traverse City, San Diego , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJeeper View Post
It's really a shame, as I love the BC myself. But I'm staying far away maybe for a couple years maybe indefinitely. It's too bad airstream did not take more care and time to test before they put the product out. And I don't believe they take it all into consideration of how powerful this forum and all other forms are.
I bought one manufactured in late April after the axle was changed. At that point the water tank issue had long since been resolved and apparently the leak in the front vent too since mine doesn’t leak and it does rain pretty hard around these parts. Because of what I’ve read here I thought I’d have some sort of issue because the tire aspect is a bit smaller and the trailing arm angles a bit taller, but no issue seems to exist.

You mentioned you saw so many quality control issues but didn’t mention what they were. If I were new to this rodeo I might be upended, but I’ve owned four Airstreams and other brands too. One of my Airstreams had some extra manufacturing issues but in retrospect Airstream took care of them in a satisfactory manner. Now, are all dealers created the same? No. People may want to research their dealer’s reputation as much as they research the trailer.

As mentioned, mine was manufactured after the axle was changed, I haven’t seen all of the issues you’ve mentioned.
4streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #28

Currently Looking...
Milton , Delaware
Is there a place on here that reviews dealers?
Bmcneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Got my Basecamp back and have already taken it out and all is well, I'm back in business. Thanks to Foley RV!!
ToddA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Saw that they started advertising the updated 2018 on Facebook today. A few changes with electrical, screen, and what I think is the new axle design. Can't seem to get the specifics on it without putting my info in to get the brochure. Anyone seen the details?
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
Hi Planobenz,

I have a 17 Ridgeline Black Edition - how do you like towing your BC with it? Do you use a WDH or Anti-Sway or nothing?

Thanks for the help.

Pat
camperguy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I was at the Airstream dealer recently with my son looking for a random part. After visiting the parts department we started poking around in different models. We looked in a basecamp via the side door, then around to the back door. When I opened the back door, water began spewing out of the screw holes at the bottom where the cargo net thing is. There was a couple of missing screws on the hinge side and it was like a water gun. My son (5yo) was laughing and saying how bad this thing must be to leak like that. As I closed the door and turned around, there was the salesman with an elderly couple who were obviously coming to look at the basecamp. The look on the salesmans face was priceless. The couple turned around and walked away. Such a surreal couple minutes.

Price tag was around $35,000.
Freshwater tank in the door is a novel concept.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Pompano Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
I was at the Airstream dealer recently with my son looking for a random part. After visiting the parts department we started poking around in different models. We looked in a basecamp via the side door, then around to the back door. When I opened the back door, water began spewing out of the screw holes at the bottom where the cargo net thing is. There was a couple of missing screws on the hinge side and it was like a water gun. My son (5yo) was laughing and saying how bad this thing must be to leak like that. As I closed the door and turned around, there was the salesman with an elderly couple who were obviously coming to look at the basecamp. The look on the salesmans face was priceless. The couple turned around and walked away. Such a surreal couple minutes.

Ian

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 08-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:

Ian
Some thoughts on the back door leaks. The 'first' BCs made had a narrow gutter at the top of the door (outside). Mine has the wider gutter, which I assume they realized was needed. BUT, mine also just has a half gasket around the inside of the door frame, at the top half of the door. Others, as well as I, observe dust getting in the lower part of the door. I will probably add more gasket on my back door, to make it go all the way around. I believe I've read that the 2018 has a gasket all the way around the inside door frame. I do love your son's reaction though!!
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:

Ian
Was that a 2018 model?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Plano , Texas
I have a Black Edition also and in the hunt for 2018 BC. Negotiating one with the correct fridge but Airstream won't allow mods even if they correct design flaws.

I have towed a bunch with my Ridgy. It performs wonderfully. Not expecting to use WD or sway. Pulling with AWD and the other automated stuff should easily handle things.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planobenz View Post
I have a Black Edition also and in the hunt for 2018 BC. Negotiating one with the correct fridge but Airstream won't allow mods even if they correct design flaws.

I have towed a bunch with my Ridgy. It performs wonderfully. Not expecting to use WD or sway. Pulling with AWD and the other automated stuff should easily handle things.

Thanks. Eager to hear how it handles the BC. I tow a jumping jack w side by side on top, about 3,000 lbs and it works just fine.

Pat
camperguy58 is offline   Reply With Quote