Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
Glamp4M-

That's too bad. I noticed the fans (I have the one original and the added "fix" fan) get quite loud. And like you said very noisy outside. I am going to see how 2019 goes and then make a decision on what to do. LP fridge is of course preferred but I tend to always be at campsites with electric! So maybe a 12V fridge is in my future. What I would love to see is if AS came out with a retrofit to provide all the parts to swap out to the new fridge they put in the newer BC's!

I ALWAYS have a cooler with me to pack things in ice just in case. You need to be careful!
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamp4M View Post
. . .
The fridge and freezer did not remain in safe temperature zones.
. . .
Thanks for the report. Have you seen the Simple Survey thread, about the BC fridge's performance?

Post #10 here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
Regarding the fridge issues, I assume you are familiar with the Simple Survey thread, where similar disappointments are set forth in detail:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

Also FYI is the Basecamp Issues thread where many reports mirror the problems you have noted:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...es-162632.html
. . .
Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #23
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamp4M View Post
I just finished an 8 day dry camping trip with my Basecamp. The Airstream dealer had just replaced the black propane tank cover with the same silver cover as the Sport. This was to provide better space and thus circulation. Previously, (2) fans had been installed.

The fridge and freezer did not remain in safe temperature zones. Additionally, the noise of the fans are disruptive and I had several campers asking me what was I running that was so very noisy. This was a very quite and secluded campground, and the only sound were the owls and my refrigerator. So noisy, I finally gave into getting ice and putting items in the ice chest. This was all while running on propane.

Meanwhile, the trip was great, and I am enjoying my Basecamp. Just wanting this refrigerator to chill out or get out! As in a different manufacturer or such.

Safe glamping!
Hi Glamp4M,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 05-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Easier said than done but I say go 12V/Electric fridge.

The 2020 BCs are doing this. A side effect is the removal of the front vent.
RiniCdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

remote , AL
2019 basecamp x

I have a 2019 basecamp X purchased March 28th.

I still have dometic fridge and on propane the fridge ran all day in higher temps it did nothing to cool. The freeze was little chilled to the touch and water bottles in fridge were luke warm.

Read all the great write ups , im glad people posted it.

Also there are some other issues with rivets broken, even the screw was missing in one of the tail lights . First RV so when I got it home noticed some of these issue.

inside Door Handle is coming out of the bottom too. Calling airstream directly. Tried emailing with no response.
navathehutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

remote , AL
lol

What airstream says about my fridge Issues:

Joshua,

I do apologize for the issues you are having with your basecamp. My suggestion would be to get it into your local dealer and we would be glad to get those issues corrected for you.

Thank you

Cory Rex

Owner Relations Representative

Airstream Inc.

(937) 596-6111 ext. 7536
navathehutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #27
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by navathehutt View Post
I have a 2019 basecamp X purchased March 28th.

I still have dometic fridge and on propane the fridge ran all day in higher temps it did nothing to cool. The freeze was little chilled to the touch and water bottles in fridge were luke warm.

Read all the great write ups , im glad people posted it.

Also there are some other issues with rivets broken, even the screw was missing in one of the tail lights . First RV so when I got it home noticed some of these issue.

inside Door Handle is coming out of the bottom too. Calling airstream directly. Tried emailing with no response.
Hi navathehutt,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 06-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #28

Pueblo , Colorado
Side panel broke off on the highway

The black panel between the door and curbside window broke in half and flew off while driving on the highway. I noticed something flapping in my rear view mirror and it broke off before I could get pulled over.

Looks like the panel was held on with command strips.
SSChameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi everyone,

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if any additional assistance is needed. You can do so by sending us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you!
On the contrary when I contacted Airstream about my 2019 Basecamp X with the non-performing fridge I got the company line from an Owner Relations Representative who admittedly cannot diagnose problems but can only throw out basic suggestions such as "is your propane valve open?" or "maybe it's the igniter?". So they are very willing to go through the motions, send me to a dealer to fix something that can't be fixed and waste everyone's time and money. When asked about the Nova Kool I was told the switch was not because the Dometic is a total failure, but because the Nova Kool "better suits the camping style of the Basecamps". I had to remind him that I own a Basecamp X and that dry camping is my style. "Sorry we don't offer a replacement under warranty". You're stuck with Airstream's screw up.
abutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
La Habra , California
Hello, just hit our one year anniversary of our 2018 Basecamp. We’ve had it out about ten times at two to three nights each. Haven’t had any major issue so far, thought the water pump was goin out but it was only a clogged sink faucet, took the spout off cleaned it and full pressure again! The fridge has been great, my trick is, I throw four or five ice blue packs In it for an hour then turn it on and fill it with all cold stuff. All this 24 hours before your trip. Prechilling and putting all cold stuff in it helps the fridge work easier and gets to its max cold spot with less effort. I run it on auto all the time, it will switch from electric to gas on it’s own when needed. Also my back door leaks a little only if it pours and when I wash it, living in SoCal means it only pours here never. I also have a little trick for the for the awning/visor. Extend the poles all the way put the long tab side through the visor holes and then tuck the poles in an angle back under the basecamp behind the tire and behind the door. This will keep the poles and ropes from getting in the way. Especially with dogs in camp! Works great didn’t even need my ropes at the beach camping! Check out my Instagram pictures of the basecamp at Mrvad13! Message me back if you have any more questions.
Mrvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #31
BaseCamper

2019 Basecamp
Cincinnati , Ohio
My prep for fridge use. 110/propane model 2019 BCX

Hi,

just throwing my 2 cents worth into the mix.

Prior to leaving I ran the fridge on propane for 24 hours with Pre-frozen re-freezable packs. That helped it get down to temp quicker. Then when I loaded my food it was all pre-chilled and pre-frozen.

The fan ran whenever the temp was over a certain temperature, definitely all day as the temps were in the high 80's and low 90's.

There were a few nights where the temps got down into the low 70's or upper 60's and the fan shut off then.

This was all while running on propane. Wanted to get a feel for how it performed and battery use etc.

I also left the freezable packs in the freezer and fridge so I am assuming they helped for the first few days as well.

Seems I've read about some people replacing the fans with quieter ones somewhere. Either here or on one of the Facebook forums.

Heading out Sept. 8th. for a few weeks in upper MI. Can't come soon enough!

Mike
RollinStone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:35 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
2019 Basecamp
Troy , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeola View Post
Looking for anyone who has recently purchased a 2018 basecamp, we have really looked hard at this and want to purchase the basecamp. However we don’t want our first rv purchase to be a nightmare. When are the 2019 hitting the lots ? Looking at Vogt rv in Dallas or Baton Rouge for the purchase, any feedback on those dealers also helpful. I’ve read the prior feeds and have stalked this site for OVER 1 yr
Hi, We have had very few problems with our 2019 BasecampX and have driven over 15k miles with it. One issue I have had is with the optional rock guards, which vibrate at highway speeds and eventually breaks the center mounting bracket. Service put on a heavier bracket but I have my own ideas to prevent the issue from happening again, to stiffen the shields up. Other than the stone guards, everything has worked very well with no complaints. If you are thinking about buying a used one, we are thinking about upgrading to the Basecamp 20X for more room..good luck
corvettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:32 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Aloha , Oregon
As you've probably figured out by now, the Dometic fridge issue was never fixed. We pulled out the Dometic propane fridge and replaced it with a Norcold 12/110, had the old fridge vent sealed, (it's a source of water leakage) and all fridge related problems went away.

I think it's no coincidence that Airstream switched to a 12/110 model in the latter part of 2019. The propane/110 fridge never did work right in the Basecamp 16 configuration. That and the floor rot from water getting into the vent port are two problems that Airstream Corporate has never admitted.
roc97007 is offline   Reply With Quote