Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Deridder , Louisiana
2018-2019 basecamp issues resolved?

Looking for anyone who has recently purchased a 2018 basecamp, we have really looked hard at this and want to purchase the basecamp. However we don’t want our first rv purchase to be a nightmare. When are the 2019 hitting the lots ? Looking at Vogt rv in Dallas or Baton Rouge for the purchase, any feedback on those dealers also helpful. I’ve read the prior feeds and have stalked this site for OVER 1 yr
jeola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
At this point I'd say the only outstanding issue is possibly the fridge. We haven't been able to get a definitive answer that the fix corrects the issue.

Otherwise, I just got an email about the new '19 basecamp and they're looking good! Especially the basecamp-x package.
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungishJedi View Post
At this point I'd say the only outstanding issue is possibly the fridge.
. . .
FYI

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

FYI
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:15 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Franklin , Wisconsin
We took delivery of ours in April '18, trailer was built in March of '18. We have had it out on 6 trips so far...probably 16 nights in it or so. We have had some minor issues but nothing that shocked me. We had some minor leaking from the back door, a few screen door issues, rivets popped out on the propane cover and the vent fan in the bathroom took a crap. All of which has been fixed by the local dealer in WI. I have it lucky as the dealer is only 5 miles from me so dropping it off for a day or two isn't a hassle.

The fridge is working great for us, plug it in the night before we leave to get the temp down, throw in the food and few ice packs and turn the propane on when we get to the destination. We have had a few days with 80+ degree days and the temps stayed below 40 in it. Cooling fans kicked on for most of the day but kicked off in the evening.

We feel lucky since we have not experienced some of the nightmare experiences other BC owners have. I guess it comes down to expectations. This is our first trailer but have been tent campers for all our lives so we expect some inconveniences like leaks and warm coolers. The best feeling is a warm bed and place to take a leak in the middle of the night that doesn't involve zippers, raingear and boots. On the other hand I get it....you put out $38K and expect no issues. But....it is a new model and there will be issues. This isn't a Toyota production car that had teams of hundreds of engineers working on it and testing for years and dropping millions of $$$$. It's a gamble one must decide to take and for us it worked out so far. We love our BC!
FaFaFooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Deridder , Louisiana
I agree - if I could choose the “glacier “ looks awesome
Old 07-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I've been following that thread but some are saying the fridge fix worked for them and some are saying it hasn't. So it's reasonable to say that there isn't a definitive answer.
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #7

2017 23' International
Breckenridge , Colorado
Thanks for posting this; I'm picking up a basecampx next week and hope the fridge issues are resolved. I have a question out to my dealer about it as well and will update the post if I find anything out.
kylewmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:52 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Deridder , Louisiana
Thanks - definitely let me know. If I can get some sense they are resolving the issues I think we would purchase in the next 3-4 months.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #9

2018 Basecamp
Las Vegas , Nevada
Basecamp '18 a Mixed Bag

Let me start by saying I love my Basecamp, despite the issues I've had with it. Most of those issues have been either minor or I've been able to work around them. Some may say I shouldn't have to work around anything, but I realize nothing is perfect and I do my best to be flexible. Having said that, my issues:

1) Bathroom door was severely warped on delivery, probably due to the Nevada heat it had been sitting in while I waited for it. Door was replaced by service. Folks in Ohio should build a burn-in room in their new factory with 120° heat and 15% humidity to simulate the conditions most RVs actually exist in.

2) Delamination of underside of countertop and fold-over bed supports. Again, heat does bad things to glue. Re-glued by service.

3) A couple of popped rivets inside on ceiling. Replaced by service.

4) Blown hose between propane canister and regulator. Entire can vented but no damage. Hose replaced by service.

5) The open/close knob on the forward ceiling vent has become loose and unscrews easily. A quick tighten resolves it, but having had a reversible Fan-Tastic on my old teardrop makes me long for a better choice of hardware here. Will probably get this replaced and include an opaque cover in the near future.

6) Refrigerator doesn't cool to 40°. My Basecamp has been in service three times for "fixes" for this but they never last long. When the unit is indoors or under shade, the fridge works fine... but in the direct sun and Nevada heat, it rarely gets down to 50°. I blame the design... with the fridge hidden behind that big black heatsink of a propane cover, it just doesn't get a chance to vent properly. There may be other contributing issues, but I seriously doubt this will be resolved with the current design. Considering getting a compressor refrigerator.

7) And the big one... while driving down the highway the glass on my door simply popped off and disappeared into the night. Inspection reveals a disturbingly paltry amount of adhesive foam around the perimeter of the window that was holding it on. Heat and low humidity obviously weakened this adhesive. The Basecamp is currently in service to get this glass replaced. I'm hopeful they'll put a substantial amount of heat and humidity resistant adhesive on it this time. This is clearly a design flaw.

I've spent probably over 100 nights in the Basecamp in the past year and aside from these relatively minor and temporary setbacks, I've been quite happy with it. A separate grey water tank would have been a nice inclusion as it would allow me to boondock for twice the time as the combined grey/black tank but I'll live with that.

I would like to add that Airstream service has been very kind and accommodating for all of my service requests and have done their best to take care of me so I appreciate that. Also I appreciate Airstream sending me a second battery to add to my solar system. I'm not sure if that was left out of the original build or was a random gift but it does make a difference. Looking forward to upgrading to AGM batteries down the road but for now, I'm grateful for the additional amperage.

As a bachelor traveling alone and spending a lot of time on the road and also as a mobile office for my audio/visual production company, the Basecamp has been and continues to be worth the price. The minor issues I've encountered have done nothing to dampen my life-long enthusiasm for Airstream products and the Airstream brand.
alexmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for that great photo! Your van and BC fit together nicely.

Regarding the fridge issues, I assume you are familiar with the Simple Survey thread, where similar disappointments are set forth in detail:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

Also FYI is the Basecamp Issues thread where many reports mirror the problems you have noted:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...es-162632.html

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmartin View Post

Let me start by saying I love my Basecamp, despite the issues I've had with it. Most of those issues have been either minor or I've been able to work around them. Some may say I shouldn't have to work around anything, but I realize nothing is perfect and I do my best to be flexible. Having said that, my issues:

1) Bathroom door was severely warped on delivery, probably due to the Nevada heat it had been sitting in while I waited for it. Door was replaced by service. Folks in Ohio should build a burn-in room in their new factory with 120° heat and 15% humidity to simulate the conditions most RVs actually exist in.

2) Delamination of underside of countertop and fold-over bed supports. Again, heat does bad things to glue. Re-glued by service.

4) Blown hose between propane canister and regulator. Entire can vented but no damage. Hose replaced by service.

5) The open/close knob on the forward ceiling vent has become loose and unscrews easily. A quick tighten resolves it, but having had a reversible Fan-Tastic on my old teardrop makes me long for a better choice of hardware here. Will probably get this replaced and include an opaque cover in the near future.

6) Refrigerator doesn't cool to 40°. My Basecamp has been in service three times for "fixes" for this but they never last long. When the unit is indoors or under shade, the fridge works fine... but in the direct sun and Nevada heat, it rarely gets down to 50°. I blame the design... with the fridge hidden behind that big black heatsink of a propane cover, it just doesn't get a chance to vent properly. There may be other contributing issues, but I seriously doubt this will be resolved with the current design. Considering getting a compressor refrigerator.

7) And the big one... while driving down the highway the glass on my door simply popped off and disappeared into the night. Inspection reveals a disturbingly paltry amount of adhesive foam around the perimeter of the window that was holding it on. Heat and low humidity obviously weakened this adhesive. The Basecamp is currently in service to get this glass replaced. I'm hopeful they'll put a substantial amount of heat and humidity resistant adhesive on it this time. This is clearly a design flaw.

I've spent probably over 100 nights in the Basecamp in the past year and aside from these relatively minor and temporary setbacks, I've been quite happy with it. A separate grey water tank would have been a nice inclusion as it would allow me to boondock for twice the time as the combined grey/black tank but I'll live with that.

I would like to add that Airstream service has been very kind and accommodating for all of my service requests and have done their best to take care of me so I appreciate that. Also I appreciate Airstream sending me a second battery to add to my solar system. I'm not sure if that was left out of the original build or was a random gift but it does make a difference. Looking forward to upgrading to AGM batteries down the road but for now, I'm grateful for the additional amperage.

As a bachelor traveling alone and spending a lot of time on the road and also as a mobile office for my audio/visual production company, the Basecamp has been and continues to be worth the price. The minor issues I've encountered have done nothing to dampen my life-long enthusiasm for Airstream products and the Airstream brand.

Great Post and Image!

Besides the refer and the warped bathroom door, which are both amazingly common issues amongst the BC group, I have found the loose screw on the vent to be a nuisance. But I will go to the hardware store and get a locking washer which will hopefully solve that once and for all.

Meanwhile I am going to invite Dometic into the discussion as opposed to just the dealer. I think they probably have some culpability too.

Thanks,

Glampman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180720_124535.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	319831  
Glampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #12
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi everyone,

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if any additional assistance is needed. You can do so by sending us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you!
Old 08-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Deridder , Louisiana
Thanks for the input , we haven’t seen anything we like as well as the Basecamp plan to go to a rv show this fall and see if we want to pull the trigger , hopeful they continue to work the Bugs out
Old 08-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Bentonville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glampman View Post
Great Post and Image!

Besides the refer and the warped bathroom door, which are both amazingly common issues amongst the BC group, I have found the loose screw on the vent to be a nuisance. But I will go to the hardware store and get a locking washer which will hopefully solve that once and for all.

Meanwhile I am going to invite Dometic into the discussion as opposed to just the dealer. I think they probably have some culpability too.

Thanks,

Glampman
I like that mat. What kind is it?
trd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Deridder , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmartin View Post

I think we will be in the same boat. We don’t see anything we like better than the basecamp, hoping our due diligence and a good dealer will limit any issues.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Evanston , Illinois
Hot Water S

Pardon my novice inquiry, but I'm looking for some information concerning the hot water pump on our 2018 basecamp.

The unit has been winterized, and de-winterized by the dealer. We are heading out on our first spring camping trip of the season and I want to confirm that we will have hot water in the unit.

Which valve(s) are the winterizing valve, and which direction should they be point so that the unit will produce hot water.

I've searched our owners manual, but have not found the answer.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
CamperGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
New Cumberland , Pennsylvania
Basecamp Plumbing .pdf

Basecamp Plumbing _0001.pdf

Please open the attached files for correct valve settings to have hot water in the Basecamp - Dave
crozsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Evanston , Illinois
Dave,
Thank you for your diagrams of the Truma valve settings.
We will keep them in our basecamp for reference, and happily always have hot water.
CamperGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Kingston , California
Picked my 2019 BCX up at the end of March and had it out several nights in sub freezing temps. All systems have worked flawlessly. No issue with leaking or the bathroom door. Fridge works well, but to be fair, hasn’t been in any heat yet. Loving it so far. Follows effortlessly behind my Honda Passport.
dgirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #20
Glamperista

2018 Basecamp
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Murrieta , CA
Cool Basecamp Fridge still not quite...

I just finished an 8 day dry camping trip with my Basecamp. The Airstream dealer had just replaced the black propane tank cover with the same silver cover as the Sport. This was to provide better space and thus circulation. Previously, (2) fans had been installed.

The fridge and freezer did not remain in safe temperature zones. Additionally, the noise of the fans are disruptive and I had several campers asking me what was I running that was so very noisy. This was a very quite and secluded campground, and the only sound were the owls and my refrigerator. So noisy, I finally gave into getting ice and putting items in the ice chest. This was all while running on propane.

Meanwhile, the trip was great, and I am enjoying my Basecamp. Just wanting this refrigerator to chill out or get out! As in a different manufacturer or such.

Safe glamping!
Glamp4M is offline   Reply With Quote