Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
2018/2017 Leaking Basecamp

I would like to know how many 2017 & 2018 Basecamp models have had leaking issues due to rain. My husband and I purchased our 2018 Basecamp in December, less than 3 months ago. A few weeks into our ownership we had a storm dump a couple of inches of water in a day. The roof leaked on the seam behind the bathroom, exactly like Bogy4 and 4WetPaws posted. The dealer reasealed everything on top of the trailer.

This past week we had rain again and this time water must have come in the refrigerator vents. The water puddle was from the right corner of the fridge, under the tray compartment to the cubby with key hooks by the door. Luckily the roof did not leak. Our trailer is stored outside, leveled. The trailer returns to the dealer tomorrow. I'm concerned with possible future problems with the flooring and structure of the Basecamp from the flood of water. Airstream should have ironed out these issues before selling them to the public.

I would like to know who else has experienced these problems and your dealer that fixed them. I'm hoping the dealers are sharing their information with airstream. I'll be #1.

1. 2018 Basecamp. Roof and vent leaks. Toscano RV, Los Banos California.
Capastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
Update. We dropped off our trailer at our Dealership today. Service department said they spoke with Airstream and Airstream is not acknowledging that the 2018's have a problem with leaking. I find this hard to believe since my leaks matched the photographs and descriptions of 2017 models' leaks on the ceiling and in the refrigerator area exactly. Please post if your 2018 has leaked.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Capastel,

We're sorry to learn about the leaks you described in your 2018 Basecamp. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
Thank you Airsream Inc. for reaching out and talking with me. I appreciate your response.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Northern California , California
Received our 2018 Basecamp in November. Our trailer is stored in an offsite indoor RV storage, and we haven't taken it outside in the rain, so we don't know if there are any leaks. I'm almost afraid to find out.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
Thank you for responding. I hope you don't have any leaks and enjoy your Basecamp for many years.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Northern California , California
Took our 2018 Basecamp out camping for several days in Northern California while it rained for one of those days. No leaks.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:45 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
greeneville , Tennessee
My 2017 basecamp has always leaked around the seal at the back door. It rained hard yesterday and there was a worrisome amount of water on top of the Kitchen counter behind and on the stove. Can only assume it came from the seal around the glass. I have had a lot of issues including the numerous recalls. If this is an example of airstream quality, I am not impressed. Back to shop again.
forddealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there are many posts about Basecamp leaks in other threads. Using the new search function in the blue box above, "Basecamp leaks" leads to these results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=base...=airforums.com

In particular the Basecamp Issues thread may be of interest:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...es-162632.html

After you open up this thread, you can "Search This Thread" [entering "leaks" as the search term] to find the many relevant posts.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- AirstreamInc also replied in that thread, on a number of issues:

[click on orange arrow in quote to go directly to the following post in the other thread]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Through additional testing, feedback on Airforums and communication from customers, Airstream identified an opportunity for excess water to leak into the Basecamp refrigerator compartment through the exterior, vented refrigerator access door. Although these compartments are designed to take some water, there may be a need to take additional steps to prevent excess water from entering this area.

Airstream has engineered and tested a solution to address this and communicated to our dealer network through a service bulletin on May 4, 2017. Basecamp owners who took delivery before this date can have this service bulletin addressed under factory warranty at their preferred Airstream dealer. All other Basecamps are not affected.

Airstream apologizes for any inconvenience. Customers requiring additional information may contact Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at 1 (877) 596-6111, option 2.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi forddealer,

We're sorry to learn about the leak you described in your 2017 Basecamp. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com
Old 04-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
Basecamp is home!

We picked up our Basecamp yesterday, after 7 weeks at the dealership. Apparently the fix for refrigerator vent leakage is a, “sticker”, as the dealership service department calls it. Seems like it should be called a double sided sticky gasket. EVERY time the vent is removed, a BRAND new sticker needs to be reapplied. It’s so good to have the trailer again. Thank you Toscano RV!
Old 05-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #12

2017 Basecamp
Ste-therese , Quebec
Leaking Problem in Canada

Hi there, we bought a Basecamp 2017 in October. Since the day One, we do have a probleme with the fridge. I brought the trailer 4 times to the dealer, no success . They had to replace 2 pieces of my kitchen cabinet and probably the floor... And the water is still comming in. The water comes from the fridge vent in the front of the trailer. I suppose that the problem’s comming from the water falling into the front glass, falling on the vent. I think Airstream should create a gutter just behind the front track,( the one for the visor). On that way, it wouls look just as the one in the back. The water on the roof will be redirect into the gutter.
On my opinion, I'm a little disappointed of this product... But I’m still a Airstreamers, I believe in the brand.
Enjoy ����
PBarnabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
I agree PBarnabe. The water comes down directly down the center of the front glass and lands on the top fridge vent. I think a gutter would be helpful above the vent and it would be hidden behind the black propane cover. I need to remove my top vent as I can see the gasket was either not replaced during fridge servicing or has loosened up.
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
My husband and I also wondered why there wasn't a gutter to direct the water elsewhere. It seems there wasn't adequate testing on this model before launching into the public. If there had been, they'd have figured out the refrigerator configuration had problems and the vents had problems. The entire Basecamp idea is great but would be better if it actually worked as they advertise.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
"Through additional testing, feedback on Airforums and communication from customers, Airstream identified an opportunity for excess water to leak into the Basecamp refrigerator compartment through the exterior, vented refrigerator access door. Although these compartments are designed to take some water, there may be a need to take additional steps to prevent excess water from entering this area.

Airstream has engineered and tested a solution to address this and communicated to our dealer network through a service bulletin on May 4, 2017. Basecamp owners who took delivery before this date can have this service bulletin addressed under factory warranty at their preferred Airstream dealer. All other Basecamps are not affected."

Mine is a 2018. Unless the dealership knows about the sticker/gasket, and it's not replaced every time a vent is removed, there will be leaking.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
greeneville , Tennessee
Camper quality

I finally traded my Basecamp for another brand in a size that fits our needs. The BC was just too small and I had constant problems with leaks. Airstream should offer refunds and buy backs on all of the early basecamps. They just didn’t have it buttoned down when it came out. I hope they do now because it is a great concept—just poorly executed. Getting one fixed is a 1-2 month delay as well. I will never buy another airstream product. Aside from the aluminum exterior, there’s nothing special about their quality. It’s an illusion wrapped in an alloy body.
forddealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:53 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Mariposa , California
Well said.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #18

2017 Basecamp
Ste-therese , Quebec
Basecamp Leaking

So we brought again our BC for the fifth time last Saturday. I spoke to the dealer and they don't know the Problem, they never heard an other case in the Qc province at this time. Still no respond of Airstream yet to. Does any body have ever heard about an Airstream Exchange unit? or they just repair it till the end..
Any suggestion to make the progress faster and easier for everyone?

Thanks
PBarnabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #19

2018 Basecamp
Pace , Florida
Base camp leaking

I have had my basecamp for almost a year and have been o dealer 11 times for warranty and leak problems. They cannot seem to figure out why it continues to leak around grill behind refrigerator. They keep telling me to do things that dealership just finished doing. Very frustrating as we purchased a airstream to avoid this type of problem and lack of service from airstream (Jeremy). Would never buy another airstream and would sell this one with only 1 week long trip under our belt. Hope we can get resolution shortly but wanted to let others know of airstream poor product and service.

Mike

)
Mike bradfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Though I own a FC 25FB and have no real problems with this trailer, many on the Airstream Addicks (Facebook App) are also complaining about the Basecamp model and the very same issues: dominate issues are leaking roofs and faulty refrigerator setups.

This is beginning to sound like a serious product design flaw. As many Basecamp owners typically upgrade to full size trailers, so Airstream could lose a significant future customer base. Hopefully, Airstream assigns an engineering team to quickly identify the cause and make needed repairs.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote