Old 09-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
I believe many of these leaks in the front are due to a problem of the design. The front roof slopes down funneling all the water in the middle directly over the fridge vents. The Dometic fridge vent and frame went not installed as per the Dometic design intent. There are 7 screw holes that would draw the frame tight against the camper. AS however did not use these. Instead, they simply drilled two holes on the top and bottom to secure. There is no means to compress the gasket. I just modified my top vent today and am much more pleased with it.

MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
Our 2018 Basecamp had a leak behind the bathroom and the dealer was able to identify it as a caulking anmissing washer issue related to the bathroom fan. Hasn't leaked since.

Glampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:38 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
greeneville , Tennessee
Leaking basecamp

I found a fix for all of my leaks....I traded the basecamp for a 34 Bullet Premier with 3 slide-outs. Instead of barely room for two, I now have room for 10 and No Leaks. Problem solved.
forddealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Heard production is now over 75 trailers per week. They are trying to make even more per week.

When our 2013 25FB International Serenity was made in July of 2012, production rate was 26 per week. No QC issues.

I was there every day starting 2 January 2014 as our 2014 Classic was being built. QC issues list handed to QC supervisor and they were ignored. Production was 41 per week. I was inside and watched two teams tripping over each other. A time study chap was outside the door.....

Our 2015 23 D was made the third week in September 2014 at 50 units per week. Major interior QC issues. A simple one was leaving the wad of plastic protective film from the curb side rear interior aluminum panel still affixed to the panel. Someone at the factory put the mattress on that wad of plastic and the dealership put the mattress cover on the mattress (so much for quality PDI at Colonial).

As the speed of production goes up, the quality goes down in hand made items like these Airstream trailers. When the negative news make it's way to the RV press and not just the forums, perhaps the bloom would come off of the Airstream facade of quality. The QC failures are rampant even in the $150,000 new Classics.

Very sad for those coming into the RV hobby to get their fingers burned so badly.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fort Erie , Ontario-Canada
Just brought home our 2018 6 days ago. This morning had a light rain for 40mins and i have a massive puddle that appears to start from the right of the fridge/counter area. I'm also not having a cool fridge, has changed from 21deg Celcius in 2 days. CanAM RV told me they had installed a larger fan. I was just hoping ours would be different...so disappointed already...Will contact CanAm but not looking forward to 4hr round trip for service.
'77 Land Yacht (sold)
hopmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fort Erie , Ontario-Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
I believe many of these leaks in the front are due to a problem of the design. The front roof slopes down funneling all the water in the middle directly over the fridge vents. The Dometic fridge vent and frame went not installed as per the Dometic design intent. There are 7 screw holes that would draw the frame tight against the camper. AS however did not use these. Instead, they simply drilled two holes on the top and bottom to secure. There is no means to compress the gasket. I just modified my top vent today and am much more pleased with it.

Can you post more info on how you modified your vent?
Thanks
Mike
'77 Land Yacht (sold)
hopmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:45 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
I have the pics over in the Facebook group. For whatever reason, Airforums is not as easy as other forums for posting pics.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2812...=group_comment
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #36
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiggieKen View Post
Yes, my 2017 Basecamp purchased in January of 2018 leaks. I have to go out after every rain storm and sop up the water. Leaks from the front window mostly although rain blew in from the back door once as well. I wish the leaking water were the only things wrong with it. I can't use the shower as the shower valve sprays water out of the back side if turned on. The refrigerator stopped working prior to our 3rd trip. The bathroom door seal is a mess and sticks to the door when opened. The LP gas detector "chirps" as though the battery is low, but it is not. I have been waiting almost two months for my dealer to do anything about this. I have considered taking it out to JC to have the factory fix it but it sounds like the wait for an appointment is into December. It looks like we are not going to get much use out of this trailer this year. Never again will buy American, poor quality, bad workmanship, dealership does not care.
Hi PiggieKen,

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #37
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopmonster View Post
Just brought home our 2018 6 days ago. This morning had a light rain for 40mins and i have a massive puddle that appears to start from the right of the fridge/counter area. I'm also not having a cool fridge, has changed from 21deg Celcius in 2 days. CanAM RV told me they had installed a larger fan. I was just hoping ours would be different...so disappointed already...Will contact CanAm but not looking forward to 4hr round trip for service.
Hi hopmonster,

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
It is really pathetic that Airstream in two years can not figure out how to stop the leaks and get the refrigerator to work properly on this new model even in the cooler eastern temperatures let alone the Southwest.

Perhaps, if a few engineers and executives heads rolled that were responsible for the incredibly poor design, there would more interest it getting it right the first time. The warranty repair costs have hit the bottom line a lot harder than doing the engineering properly would have cost. Here is a novel idea, test them in the heat of the Southwest too.

As has been mentioned many time in all models in many threads, Airstream does not always follow the appliance or awning manufacture's installation instructions. That has not always worked out very well.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
Our Basecamp is at the dealer for the 3rd time for leaks on front windows and at the bottom right side of fridge. We store ours in the garage so the only time we see leaks is when we use it. Hoping 3rd time is a charm.
ChrisandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #40

2017 Basecamp
North Granby , Connecticut
Reply to ChrisandSue

Hi ChrisandSue, frustrating and disappointing isn't it. I have been waiting since June for a response from my dealer and no word as to when they will schedule me for repairs. I have given up waiting and have scheduled for the mother ship JC, OH to do the work in December. I am taking it out to JC in early November and leaving it for the winter and will pick it up in early spring after any chance of snow or ice has passed. I am looking forward to getting the factory tour. Also, after picking it up we plan to do our first 2019 camping trip. Does anyone have suggestions for places to visit on our way back to Connecticut?
PiggieKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #41
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisandSue View Post
Our Basecamp is at the dealer for the 3rd time for leaks on front windows and at the bottom right side of fridge. We store ours in the garage so the only time we see leaks is when we use it. Hoping 3rd time is a charm.
Hi ChrisandSue,*

We're very sorry to learn about the leaks you are having. I know you have another appointment, but if there is anything that we can assist with, please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 09-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Edwardsville , Illinois
We picked up our Basecamp from the dealer today. Attached is a photograph of the repair to the vent that was made in response to the water leakage. They cleaned, dried and sealed with Airstream Black Ad-Seal. Took off the front of the refrigerator vent and replaced the seal. They removed the LP cover and installed new plastic seals on the outer door to upper lower frig compartment. We're going to use the Basecamp this coming weekend. Almost hoping it rains to make sure these fixes work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent repair.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	324001

ChrisandSue is offline   Reply With Quote