Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #741
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
Just used my BC after the refrigerator recall “solution.” The news is not good. Got a new fridge, another battery and the fans. The fans run constantly on power or propane and they are LOUD. They also make the shroud over the propane tanks very hot. On propane, the noise inside the trailer is unbearable. There is a loud constant whining/buzzing sound that never abates. Earplugs didn’t work. I had to sleep with a pillow around my head. Airstream Corporate are you listening? This is not a fix and is totally unacceptable!

Sparkle, does the fridge stay cool now? If it does, you can replace the fans for $15 each with quiet computer fans. It’s easy to do. So don’t let the noise deter you if the fridge actually works.

With all the issues, you could likely get AS to reimburse you or if you are not handy, then even bring them to the dealer and have them make the swap.

In my 23D, I need three fans to run, and I can’t here it at all, that’s how quiet they are.

If the fridge still doesn’t keep temp cool, then that’s another story.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #742
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Garland , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Sparkle, does the fridge stay cool now? If it does, you can replace the fans for $15 each with quiet computer fans. It’s easy to do. So don’t let the noise deter you if the fridge actually works.

With all the issues, you could likely get AS to reimburse you or if you are not handy, then even bring them to the dealer and have them make the swap.

In my 23D, I need three fans to run, and I can’t here it at all, that’s how quiet they are.

If the fridge still doesn’t keep temp cool, then that’s another story.

I have heard people talking about quiet computer fans but not sure what to buy. We are still waiting to pick ours up after the fix to see but it would be great to know if we have to make a switch what to look for.
Trae and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #743
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae and Ann View Post
I have heard people talking about quiet computer fans but not sure what to buy. We are still waiting to pick ours up after the fix to see but it would be great to know if we have to make a switch what to look for.

It depends on the size they have. Common sizes are 90mm or 120mm. Sometimes you need to look at old one.

Good brands are Silenx and Noctua.

Here is the 90mm one I bought. I think I got them at Newegg or Walmart for $15. For my 2017 23D, it was a simple snap in replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-06-2017, 10:02 PM   #744
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
The fridge on propane finally cooled and started freezing the food in the refrigerator section. The fans are loud but the noise inside the trailer is intolerable. High pitched whining/ buzzing and it never stops. . The noise from the fans was outside and was loud, but not the same as inside. Needed earplugs and a pillow around my head to sleep. This is not a solution AIRSTREAM. I am not accepting this and I’m not installing anything myself. The fridge should be on the side with unobstructed ventilation like every other trailer. AIRSTREAM NEEDS TO COME UP WITH A WORKABLE SOLUTION, NOT A WORKAROUND.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:09 AM   #745
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sparkle, have you read the following Simple Survey thread on the BC's fridge problems? It has many posts going back to early summer, suggesting that a more extensive fix was in order:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

For instance, Post #43 from 7/27/17:

[click on arrow in quote to go to that post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Needs a total redesign to get the fridge to one side, and ideally have a flue through the roof.
. . .
The entire Simple Survey thread is worth a good read, in part for BBorzell's excellent data points starting at Post #9, as well as discussions of class action litigation or a Thor shareholders' suit to resolve this SNAFU.

Good luck to all.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:20 AM   #746
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I wonder whether there’s a danfoss compressor-based fridge that would fit in the same spot. Maybe from Vitrifrigo, or Snowmaster? They don’t generate the same volumes of heat, though they draw more current than an absorption fridge. OTOH, maybe they don’t draw more current than an absorption fridge plus a fleet of noisy fans.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #747
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
It depends on the size they have. Common sizes are 90mm or 120mm. Sometimes you need to look at old one.

Good brands are Silenx and Noctua.

Here is the 90mm one I bought. I think I got them at Newegg or Walmart for $15. For my 2017 23D, it was a simple snap in replacement.

Hi

Before you start swapping out fans, first figure out if the fix works. Quiet fans are quiet because they move less air and accept less back pressure compared to "industrial" fans. Who knows what AS used (a picture or part number would help). Cutting back on the air may not be a good idea.....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #748
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
These fans I bought and installed in our 23D.

I made a baffle plate for the upper vent to block it off except for the fans opening forcing the air to come in the bottom vent. I also then switched to a Ventrifrigo refrigerator (model DP150I) that has separate freezer door and just over 5 cu ft total storage). No fan noise and the fans are wired to only operate when the compressor is operational.

The 23D does have five 100 watt solar panels and a 300 amp-hour lithium battery.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #749
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The Simple Survey thread [linked earlier] has quite a bit of discussion about alternative fridges, fans, baffles and so forth:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

Not sure why we have to reinvent the wheel here, in this more general Basecamp Issues thread?

PS -- Starting with your Post #79 on that thread, there is a line of questions, alternatives and suggestions in the following 170 +/- posts.

[click on arrow in quote to go to the Simple Survey thread]
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We installed the Vitrifrigo marine DP150iL in our 2015 23D and the DP2600 in our 2014 Classic.
. . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #750
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
2017 Basecamp Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Before you start swapping out fans, first figure out if the fix works. Quiet fans are quiet because they move less air and accept less back pressure compared to "industrial" fans. Who knows what AS used (a picture or part number would help). Cutting back on the air may not be a good idea.....

Bob

I was able to find quiet fans that move more air than the crappy factory fans.

It’s easy as each fan has its ratings. There is no excuse for AS to use these Chinese crap Louis fans.

As I stated in my post, if the fan fix works from a cooling standpoint, don’t throw the fix out just because of noise. The noise can be Addressed .

I didn’t recommend just swapping out fans as a fix.... please read entire post before criticizing
Old 10-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #751
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Tucson , Arizona
Rear Door Slamming Shut Simple Fix

Hello AS Basecampers,

I previously posted my idea for a main door 90 degree stop. I came up with another idea to hold open the rear door (just an idea, my first attempt, may not be final, etc...) that may work for you DIYer's or give you other ideas.

My prototype consists of using paracord, two key rings and a stainless clasp.

Please see pictures.

Best Regards,

RocIngersol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	870.8 KB
ID:	296475   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	296476  

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	296477   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	577.0 KB
ID:	296478  

RocIngersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #752
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Tucson , Arizona
Screen Door Fix/Upgrade

Hello AS Basecampers,

My unit had an issue of the screen door magnets not aligned properly with the screen door. I simply used stainless steel nuts and longer screws to correct the issue. Please see pictures. Hope this helps you DIYer's if you have the same problem.

Also, I put in a fix to prevent the screen door inadvertently from opening. I purchased a stainless steel marine cabinet latch from Amazon.com and consisted of screwing the latch to the screen door and riveting the flanged latch to the sidewall of the AS. The latch is on a spring. To open the screen door, I hold open the latch then open the door. When the door is closed the latch secures into position into the flange on the side wall.

Please see pictures.

Please do not attempt to rivet parts to the sidewall of the airstream if you do not have experience doing so. The receiving latch flange riveted to the sidewall in this case receives very little shear load so it is not an issue. The latch flange riveted to the sidewall does not fasten into any structural beam behind the sidewall (for those who want to know).

Again, I am just providing ideas if anyone is having the same issues - my ideas may not work for you.

Best Regards,

RocIngersol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	296479   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	296480  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	296481   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	296482  

RocIngersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #753
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Essex , Massachusetts
Nice!
Tom P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #754
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
Just used my BC after the refrigerator recall “solution.” The news is not good. Got a new fridge, another battery and the fans. The fans run constantly on power or propane and they are LOUD. They also make the shroud over the propane tanks very hot. On propane, the noise inside the trailer is unbearable. There is a loud constant whining/buzzing sound that never abates. Earplugs didn’t work. I had to sleep with a pillow around my head. Airstream Corporate are you listening? This is not a fix and is totally unacceptable!
I am not surprised to hear of the excessive noise. I had one of the first unsuccessful fan fixes and, with only one fan, we were unable to get a decent night’s sleep. I can only imagine the added noise from two loud fans.

This is the first I have heard about the fridge fix including replacing the fridge. Did Airstream or the dealer determine that your original fridge was faulty apart from the heat venting issue or has AS changed from the original fridge to another make/model?

If the latter, can you tell us what fridge is now in your Basecamp?
Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #755
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Northern California , California
Apart from the noisy fans, does the latest fix keep the contents at a safe temperature now?
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #756
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I was able to find quiet fans that move more air than the crappy factory fans.

It’s easy as each fan has its ratings. There is no excuse for AS to use these Chinese crap Louis fans.

As I stated in my post, if the fan fix works from a cooling standpoint, don’t throw the fix out just because of noise. The noise can be Addressed .

I didn’t recommend just swapping out fans as a fix.... please read entire post before criticizing
Hi

Weil it's easy if you have a chart of flow vs back pressure for each fan and know the operating environment ( = how many inches of water). It also helps if you can trust the data on the chart

Since that sort of data is rarely available, you really can't compare A to B ...

Just in case that isn't quite clear: A fan or blower has one air flow with no restrictions at all. As you restrict the channel (like with a baffle) the flow drops off. You are creating back pressure on the fan. The more back pressure, the less flow it's capable of. Centrifugal blowers exist because bladed fans get into trouble. Rotary screw compressors exist because blowers get into trouble at some point.

It's not a one dimensional problem ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #757
4 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Conway , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocIngersol View Post
Hello to the Basecamp owners,
I recently purchased a 2018 Basecamp and it’s awesome.
After reading the entire thread of issues with the Basecamp, I have mostly corrected the issues myself and I also provided my own RV main door 90 degree stop to prevent potential glass breakage.
Please see my pictures. I fastened a bracket to the upper door frame and added a key ring.I fabricated a simple removable door stop strap of my own creation (again see pictures).
It works beautifully. It holds the door at 90 degrees open position, then I remove the strap at the door and open door and latch into final position.
Just an idea for all you DIYer’s.
I worked on this today. I bought a horse tie down strap at the feed store. It already had one end that has some bungee strap in it. When I applied it like you did, I wasn't real happy with the way it pressed on the screen door frame when the door was extended. That screen door seems pretty flimsy to me anyway. I ended up attaching mine to the inside handle. I'm pretty short, so it isn't much in my way getting in and out. Better than a busted window.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_0351.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	296540   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0352.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	584.9 KB
ID:	296541  

Name:	_MG_0367.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	296542  
Gail Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #758
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bborzell View Post
I am not surprised to hear of the excessive noise. I had one of the first unsuccessful fan fixes and, with only one fan, we were unable to get a decent night’s sleep. I can only imagine the added noise from two loud fans.

This is the first I have heard about the fridge fix including replacing the fridge. Did Airstream or the dealer determine that your original fridge was faulty apart from the heat venting issue or has AS changed from the original fridge to another make/model?

If the latter, can you tell us what fridge is now in your Basecamp?

I was supposed to bring my BC in to the dealer today for the fridge fix and after reading all the posts about the noise level, I cancelled my appointment. I told them I want to come in first and see/hear what the fix is like on one of their showroom units before I agree to the fix. Headed to Moab next weekend and will be boondocking with day temps in low 70s and will report back fridge performance afterwards.
FricknFrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #759
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
I apologize if this is a repeat of another post. I write them and they disappear. This is about the refrigerator replacement/recall. It is a new Dometic fridge. I don’t have the model number, the paperwork is with the trailer in storage. With the three fans and the constant screaming of the fridge and the fans I would not consider it a fix. I am not willing to make any changes to the setup myself. It might void the warranty. But I have notified the dealer and corporate that i am NOT accepting this “fix.” It makes the trailer uninhabitable, and I dry camp almost 100% of the time. Even plugged in to power, off of propane, the fans run constantly and are very loud.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #760
3 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Kings Park , New York
The latest fix as per the TSB issued by AS adds one fan plus insulation and baffles to promote proper air flow. Same fridge. My appointment is 11/20 to get this done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm8dvpjwkf...to%20.pdf?dl=0
MrKenmore is offline   Reply With Quote